Review by Elle Howard -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Review by Elle Howard -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Elle Howard »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon is a fiction novel in the adventure genre. It takes place in the picturesque landscapes of the Olympic Peninsula wilderness of Washington state and along the North Pacific coast. Embedded within the main plot is a second story that is a historical fiction.

The night before he is planning to leave on a camping trip deep into Olympic National Park, Tom Olsen gets an uninvited visitor at his door. It is his ex-wife Ruth and she has life-changing news for Tom. They have a 13-year-old granddaughter, Sarah. Ruth had just found out about her a few days before. Sarah has been sent by her stepfather to visit her deceased mother's family, She needs a home for the summer but Ruth refuses to keep her any longer. Sarah is too sullen and rebellious. She quickly introduces Tom to Sarah and leaves before he can protest.

Tom is at a loss as to what to do about the camping trip. He put a lot effort into planning this trip. He had asked his Native American friend William and William’s daughter Myra to join him on the trip. The timing was critical because a local developer had plans to start mining ore in the park. He had made this camping trip many years before with his grandfather. During the trip, his grandfather had passed away unexpectedly. Tom wanted to see the pristine landscape one last time and visit his grandfather’s grave. He also had other unfinished business he needed to take care of. Tom reluctantly decides to take Sarah with them on the trip.

Sarah resents being forced to go on the camping trip. She and Tom struggle to learn how to communicate. Tom is too focused on his main real reason for making this trip and not intuitive to Sarah’s needs. He does not notice that she is feeling rejected and unwanted. They have a big disagreement and Sarah storms off into the wilderness. She goes missing for eight days. Tom is heartbroken. He and William search to recover her body. Miraculously, she reappears out of the wilderness. She is badly injured and missing a finger. She tells them about the amazing adventure that she had while she was missing those eight days.

I selected this novel expecting it to be a coming of age story about Sarah. I was pleasantly surprised at how much more complex and intriguing this book really is. The novel is told through the perspective of William. The main protagonists are Sarah and Tom. However, the author has incorporated many interesting, smaller subplots involving the other supporting characters: William’s interaction with his headstrong daughter, Myra’s concern about her father’s failing health, the conflict between the land developers and the Native American residents of their small town, Sergei’s scientific theory versus Myra’s Native American beliefs. There are so many interesting layers to this novel. They are all expertly woven together and relevant to the main stories.

If I had any negative criticism about this book it would be how it ended. It is very abrupt. The rest of the book is well-paced and reads so easily. Then the book just stops in the middle of an adventure. However, based on how the stories have been layered, I am certain there will be additional novels involving these characters. Hopefully, the next book will resume where this one ends.

I would rate Strong Heart a 4 out of 4. The book appears professionally edited. I found no grammar or spelling errors. The characters of Tom, Sarah, William and Myra are all believable, well-developed and contribute greatly to the high quality of this novel. I was very impressed with the details that the author has incorporated into this book. The descriptions of the landscaping are incredible! I found myself researching the Olympic Park area just to see the scenery through my own eyes. There really is nothing really negative I can say about this book other than the ending leaving me wanting more. I would recommend this novel to readers that enjoy books about family relationships, adventure novels, and historical fiction.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Elle Howard's review? Post a comment saying so!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

Beautiful review! i look forward to more. :D
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I agree the ending came too quickly. I am looking forward to the next book.

Thanks for a great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”