Official Review: God? Very Probably by Robert H. Nelson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: God? Very Probably by Robert H. Nelson

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God? Very Probably" by Robert H. Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

God? Very Probably is a non-fiction work that sets out to prove the likely existence of a deity. Using mathematics, quantum theory, evolutionary evidence, and historical events, author Robert H. Nelson makes a strong case for the existence of what most of us would consider "God." The author does not endorse a specific religion, but rather states the case for the possibility of a "cosmic mind" that brought the universe into being.

Although God? Very Probably seems like a book that would appeal to religious readers, it is first and foremost a scientific treatise. Reading this book is a scholarly undertaking that requires an open mind from believers and skeptics alike. That being said, I personally feel more knowledgeable and well-rounded for having read this book. The historic and scientific information within makes the reading well worth the effort, whether one is inclined to agree with the author or not.

The writing within this book is superb and virtually free of errors. The author was meticulous in citing his sources, and made sure to include a source list at the end of each chapter, in addition to a lengthy bibiliography at the end of the book. The book also contains an index for easy reference of specific topics. God? Very Probably would be an excellent resource for anyone seeking to find evidence of a higher power outside of the bounds of religious texts.

The author also does an excellent job of refuting detractors in a professional and objective manner. Among the author's sources are works by well-known atheists, and although their beliefs are clearly denounced by the author, he does not us his platform to go on the attack. The belief (or non-belief) in a deity is a passionate topic for many people, and it's often too easy to be carried away by one's feelings on the matter, but the author maintains a civil tone throughout the book. In this age of shameless mud-slinging in all forms of media, I found this to be quite refreshing.

As for complaints about this book, I have none. However, some readers may find the subject matter to be tedious, and it bears repeating that this is not a light read. For many readers, God? Very Probably will be a mentally strenuous undertaking, but a worthwhile one. I also feel the need to reiterate that this is not a book for those who hold fundamentalist views, as the author sticks to scientific facts to back up his points. I enjoyed God? Very Probably immensely, and I award it 4 out of 4 stars. This book is best suited to readers who enjoy learning and don't mind being exposed to controversial ideas.

God? Very Probably
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I started to read this, but then was afraid that the material would upset me, as I have strong personal beliefs. I'm glad to know that it was a good read for you.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

MsTri wrote:I started to read this, but then was afraid that the material would upset me, as I have strong personal beliefs. I'm glad to know that it was a good read for you.
I’m sorry that this book wasn’t a good fit for you, but I appreciate you taking the time to read my review of it :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Great review. It appears the books write-up is objective enough. Very important when holding constructive dialogues.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a very well written book. I'm sure not everyone will appreciate this book, but I know a lot of research went into it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

As for complaints about this book, I have none. However, some readers may find the subject matter to be tedious, and it bears repeating that this is not a light read. For many readers, God? Very Probably will be a mentally strenuous undertaking, but a worthwhile one.
:D Challenge accepted! I do love a book that makes me think, and lately have read a few too many that make only an half-hearted effort at being scholarly. It is heartening that this author has done the work with well-resourced information. Thanks for the review.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Quinto wrote:Great review. It appears the books write-up is objective enough. Very important when holding constructive dialogues.
Thank you! I agree—objectivity is extremely important in any scientific endeavor.

-- 29 Oct 2017, 13:24 --
kandscreeley wrote:Sounds like a very well written book. I'm sure not everyone will appreciate this book, but I know a lot of research went into it. Thanks.
Yes, there are many people on both sides of the argument who would not appreciate this book! That’s part of the reason I enjoyed it so much, the author was more concerned with stating facts than appeasing a particular group. Thank you so much for reading!

-- 29 Oct 2017, 13:30 --
Kat Berg wrote:
As for complaints about this book, I have none. However, some readers may find the subject matter to be tedious, and it bears repeating that this is not a light read. For many readers, God? Very Probably will be a mentally strenuous undertaking, but a worthwhile one.
:D Challenge accepted! I do love a book that makes me think, and lately have read a few too many that make only an half-hearted effort at being scholarly. It is heartening that this author has done the work with well-resourced information. Thanks for the review.
You’re welcome, and thank you for stopping by! I hope that you enjoy this book!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I'm glad that the author doesn't follow the "it is written" mentality but backs up his argument with scientific research.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Mercy Bolo wrote:I'm glad that the author doesn't follow the "it is written" mentality but backs up his argument with scientific research.
Yes, I appreciated that as well. Thank you for reading my review!
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

Totally not what I was expecting but it sounds interesting. Good review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Nthabeleng wrote:Totally not what I was expecting but it sounds interesting. Good review.
Thank you! :)
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

I already read 'Conversation with God' and that change my concept of God a lot. If 'God? Very Probably' is based on scientific research, i would really wish to have a read. Great review.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Sounds interesting from the review, I'm sold to trying out the book...
Pknjo
Bookshelf Size: 33

Post by Pknjo »

It's a good thing that it's objective, good job with the review.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

It is good that the author does not promote any religious body with his book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”