Official Review: The Piketty Problem by Garth Hallberg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Official Review: The Piketty Problem by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The subtitle of Garth Hallberg's The Piketty Problem sets the tone right from the outset. "The Robots Are Coming, The Robots Are Coming" is a line that made me smile before I had even turned to the first page. The subtitle also refers to an important theme of the novel: the replacement of low-paid workers with robots. Hallberg's novel is - first and foremost - very funny. It is also serious, as the introduction makes clear. Hallberg claims his book as a descendant of a once-popular literary genre: the social protest novel. Using Thomas Piketty's book Capital in the Twenty-First Century as a point of reference, Hallberg weaves an entertaining tale of several characters in America during the run-up to the most recent presidential election. (If, like me, you have not heard of Piketty before, he is an economist whose major idea is that in America the over-zealous love of capitalism has led to an unfair situation where the vast majority of the country's wealth rests in the hands of the richest 1% of the population.)

I am no economist, but Hallberg made this idea (and several others of Piketty) incredibly accessible and educational. I was impressed by the skillful and effortless inclusion of such a heavy, potentially dry, subject into the narrative. The plot never suffered. Nor, surprisingly, did the dialogue, which often contained discussions of Piketty's ideas. The novel opens with four characters from very different backgrounds discussing these very ideas over dinner. They are George Dealy (a misogynistic McDonald's franchisee owner), his wife Suzanne (whose politics are much more liberal than her husband's), Suzanne's best friend from school, Francesca (a sophisticated European with a string of lovers), and Hugo (Francesca's latest boyfriend and keen disciple of Piketty). The tension between the two ideals of unbridled capitalism and a fairer distribution of wealth (through the method of raising the minimum wage) is set up right at the outset, and remains in place throughout.

Dealy represents the 1%, only concerned with increasing his wealth, and the other characters are all opposed to his refusal to raise wages, and his plans to create the "McDonald's of the future" by replacing employees with burger-making robots. An underground movement emerges in time to stage a protest at the opening of Dealy's new restaurant. Suzanne joins the group after becoming romantically involved with a local man, Steve Harris, who is even more obsessed with Piketty's ideas than she is. Along with Harris' daughter and her boyfriend, the core of the political cell is formed with the intention of disrupting Dealy's plans. Without giving away any spoilers, the plot builds in intensity as we come towards this climax, and I loved the way Hallberg built up a feeling of inevitability as the net tightens. Another pleasure was how every character was connected to the others in increasingly intricate and claustrophobic ways: Harris begins to work for Dealy, while sleeping with Suzanne; Harris' estranged wife turns up on the scene unexpectedly; and Suzanne keeps her relationship to George a secret from Harris' daughter and her boyfriend. Things quickly become deliciously tangled, but never hard to follow, as we don't have too wide a cast to keep up with - just the same handful of characters in shifting configurations.

One final character is Harris' father-in-law, who is visited by Harris a few times during the action. It is not initially clear what role this elderly man with dementia will play, but Hallberg's ability to describe his experiences and perceptions is impressive and heartbreaking, and he comes to play an important part by the end of the novel. I was blown away by the range and quality of Hallberg's prose: he had a real gift for creating very individual characters that you wanted to find out more about.

Perhaps my favourite aspect of the book, however, was the narrative style. Hallberg's writing is so lively and engaging. Puns and wordplay play a huge part in this book, as do all sorts of little verbal quirks and tics unique to its different characters. Hallberg's playing about with language - without ever taking away from a strong plot or becoming too "experimental" - was a real delight. I found myself smiling on many occasions and relishing his wonderful turn of phrase and one-of-a-kind humour. The book was superbly edited, too, which was especially impressive due to the unconventional use of language in many cases. My only warning would be that it is for a mature audience, particularly due to the sexual themes. While there were never explicit descriptions, this aspect still played a key part in the plot, and so it is only suitable for an adult readership.

Garth Hallberg's The Piketty Problem was a well-balanced fusion of opposites to create a really satisfying whole: a funny tone mixed with a serious message, and a plot both highly personal and highly political. With expertly-created characters, a fast-paced plot, and a totally unique writing style, this book was a complete winner for me. Its topicality was the icing on the cake: contemporary America was very clearly seen in its pages, and Donald Trump loomed as large as the giant inflatable Ronald McDonald (Ronald sounds very like Donald...) that floats above Dealy's restaurant. I give this book a full 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who likes a deft plot, great characters, humorous writing, or something to think about once you have finished reading. I can't recommend it highly enough!

The Piketty Problem
View: on Bookshelves

Like Reuben 92's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This sounds absolutely fascinating to me. One of my favorite things is when an author can use humor to their advantage in writing even on serious topics. I will need to check this out! Thanks for the review.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks Kat Berg! It was a really enjoyable read - do check it out :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

Beautiful review!
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's always lovely when an author can present a serious problem with humor and yet still get the message across. Sounds like he did just that. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

What a fun way to deal with serious topics!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Interesting review. This book is like a portal into the future. Yes, "the robots are coming". It's just a matter of time.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
SaraJems
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SaraJems »

Great review!
Sonireallyam
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Sonireallyam »

I would enjoy the fun in this book, this is a great review.
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks for all the replies, I'm very glad you enjoyed my review. If anyone reads the novel, please do stop by after, I'd be glad to have the chance to chat about it!
Proust
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

From reading your review, this book just came alive. You described your experiences reading it superbly. Thanks.
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

You're welcome, Quinto. It was a book with a lot of energy so I'm glad I could communicate that!

-- 29 Oct 2017, 16:04 --

You're welcome, Quinto. It was a book with a lot of energy so I'm glad I could communicate that!
Proust
Njengnjoro
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Njengnjoro »

Excellent review, I enjoyed reading thru it. This book talks about interesting issues I want to explore more on
VanessaAisel
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessaaisel.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by VanessaAisel »

I smiled as I read this, McDonald's becoming Compleatly robot operated is just like an episode of Sponge Bob my kids love!! Any way, this book sounds very entertaining and interesting! Thanks for a great review.
The only escape to my pain is within the lives of storybook characters.
~Me~
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Njengnjoro
Bookshelf Size: 29

Post by Njengnjoro »

I also like the humour in this book, great review

-- 31 Oct 2017, 05:33 --

I also like the humour in this book, great review

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”