Review by Quinto -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Review by Quinto -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Quinto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the novel The Expansion by Christoph Martin, the author foreshadows the events to take place later in the novel in his prologue. Herein, the author expertly paints a picture of a couple who are involved in controversial and lucrative real estate deals that drive them into suicide when the law catches up with them. Through the narration of this tragic event, the author captures my imagination early in my reading as I anticipate the unfolding events.

Max Burns and Godfredo Roco were close friends during their school days at Zuoz in the Swiss Alps. Losing his parents during his school years, Max grew to become an engineering academic at a London university. On the other hand, an opportunity to expand the Panama canal will see Godfredo looking for his long lost friend, as their family-owned company assembles a technical team, the British consortium, which will submit a bid for the project. Assembling a team is, however, the easy part as the real test will be in designing and submitting a successful bid. To put things in perspective, they will be competing against teams from other economically advanced countries like the US, China, Germany and Japan. So the bottom line really is: what are some of the behind-the-scene intrigues surrounding the bidding process? What will it take for a team to win the bid?

To his credit, the author has created relatable and realistic characters in his novel. I found myself able to empathise with young Max, for example, after losing his parents early in life. Consequently, life as he knew it changed overnight. He had to adjust from a life of luxury at their family estate in Sussex and London to living in a housing estate with his uncle. Max is presented to the audience as one who was so close to his father that he adopted some of his demeanour like "opening doors and pulling chairs out for everyone, not just women." On the contrary, Godfredo is portrayed often times as being in conflict with his father. In one instance, his father is quoted admonishing him for disrespecting him. On his positive traits, his friend Max has always known him to be reliable. For example, he organised the bidding team's accommodation and meals right up to the small details like "good wines and interesting local delicacies that appeared daily alongside clearly written-up agendas." Additionally, a later incident will prove him to be a decisive person who can stand up against his father who was clearly on the wrong.

The plot of the narrative is well built. I found it easy to follow the events depicted because of the well headlined chapters displaying the location and dates. The author was able to create a convincing plot because of the amount of expert knowledge he had on the workings of the various institutions mentioned in the novel. I was thrilled and impressed, for example, by the work done by the new Defense Clandestine Service (DCS) and its mission to bridge the shortcomings of both the CIA and FBI. Furthermore, the presence of teams from the economically endowed countries competing with each other for the opportunity to develop the strategically important strait is a key critical factor to the success of the conspiracy theory advanced by this novel. Other than this, the author also uses dialogue to advance the plot. A character like Godfredo's father, Paco Roco, is revealed more in what he says than does. For example, when his son meets his approval by a comment he makes, Paco complements him by saying "now you're thinking like a Roco." To his father and according to the context used, their family name personifies intelligence and skill in reading and taking advantage of situations even if for selfish gain.

Overall, I have nothing negative about the book. For starters, the novel appears professionally edited and formatted with only a few missing words. Additionally, the author has gone to great lengths to connect with his readers through vivid character and scenery description, use of red herring, American slang and Spanish words or phrases all meant to create a sense of interest and realism. In conclusion, because of the use of vulgar colloquial expressions, I recommend the novel to adult readers who are looking for a well-built and thought-out conspiracy story. I award the novel 4 out of 4 stars.

The Expansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Quinto's review? Post a comment saying so!
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

It must have been tough for Max, having his life turn around overnight. The story sounds amazing, with superb character development, though, I have avoided it for a while now. I think I should try it. Nice review.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Hi kwahu. Yeah the book is quite engrossing once you start. It's plot is very realistic. This is one of the key qualities I look for in a good book. Try it. Thanks for your compliments.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Sounds very interesting and thrilling. Also sounds like I would be way in over my head with this book. Thanks for the review. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Sounds very interesting and thrilling. Also sounds like I would be way in over my head with this book. Thanks for the review. :)
Hi. You won't know till you read, that's my mantra. Thanks for your kind words though.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I love thrillers and conspiracy stories and this one fits the bill nicely. Loved your very detailed review focusing on the main characters, especially Max.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

kislany wrote:I love thrillers and conspiracy stories and this one fits the bill nicely. Loved your very detailed review focusing on the main characters, especially Max.
Hi kislany, yes great novel, go for it! Thanks too for your compliments.
Arushi Singh
Currently Reading: Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arushi-singh.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite

Post by Arushi Singh »

Beautiful review! sounds like a great novel.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz and Richard Waite
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Nice review. The book reminds me of my godmother and godfather who are there to guide me. Max story happens in reality, too.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Sonireallyam
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by Sonireallyam »

I like realistic plots, sign me up for this one.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I like how you explained that the author used his previous or gained knowledge to direct the plot where he wants. A very good review!
Reet Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reet-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Reet Aulakh »

Such books are not my cup of tea but your review has encouraged me to read this book. I would love to read this book.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I enjoyed reading this book too. I found myself agreeing with a lot of the things written in your review! Great job :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds good! I am glad you enjoyed the book. Nice review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Youngcent
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Youngcent »

It's got great headline

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”