Official Review: Resurrection by SDavidson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Official Review: Resurrection by SDavidson

Post by Swiftmover07 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Resurrection" by SDavidson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

James (Jamie) Massey grew up in a military family. His father and grandfather were both officers, and it was always understood that Jamie's only option was to follow suit. Jamie did so without complaint, but he would soon find out that that life, love, and war change a man and shatter his soul. When Jamie loses everything he ever wanted, worked for and dreamed of having, he becomes a shadow of a man he used to be, firmly believing that there is no place for him in this world, that it would be better if he just weren't a part of it anymore.

Chris Baker was raised in a small town, with a passion for rodeo and architecture. When an injury takes Chris out of the rodeo, he focuses on his architecture. While in college, Chris meets someone and falls in love. Together, they build a wonderful business and a beautiful house. Unfortunately, it was not meant to last forever. Chris is completely and utterly broken and believes there is no happiness left for him in this world.

All that history changes when Chris and Jamie happen to meet at a diner, with the same look of defeat in their eyes. Both men are lost, broken, and alone. Neither can outrun the ghosts of their pasts, but maybe they can face them together. Maybe, together, they can find peace and resurrect one another.

My favorite thing about Resurrection is how author S. Davidson brought the characters to life. It's hard not to fall in love with the characters when they seem so real that they could be standing next to you. The attention to detail is excellent - so vivid that you are instantly sucked into the author’s world.

The book seemed to be free of spelling and punctuation errors and seemed well researched. One of the main characters, Jamie, sees a lot of war, and the author executes those scenes so well it was like I was standing there with Jamie as the action unfolded.

This book does contain quite a bit of M/M sexual content. Though it is tastefully written, I do not recommend it those who do not like that content. Also, there are a lot of war scenes, flashbacks, and PTSD triggers, so I would not suggest this book to those with PTSD or who are sensitive about those subjects. However, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys romance, action, devastation, loss, joy and a few funny moments all rolled up into one giant emotional roller coaster.

Overall, I must give Resurrection 4 out of 4 stars. I give this rating because the vivid detail was great, the problems faced by the characters seemed real and made them easy to relate to and picture in the mind's eye. But, also, I gave this rating because I could not put this book down. I had to keep reading because I felt like I was on the journey with the characters of the book as well and had to know what happened next.

Resurrection
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Swiftmover07's review? Post a comment saying so!
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

This book seems to have a lot of great qualities. However, the type of sexual content in this book is not for me. Great review!
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Thanks for the thorough review! This sounds like a book with a lot of great qualities. Thank you for the warning about the sexual content. Glad you enjoyed this one!
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

MarisaRose wrote:Thanks for the thorough review! This sounds like a book with a lot of great qualities. Thank you for the warning about the sexual content. Glad you enjoyed this one!
Thanks, i like to let potential readers know if there is explicit scenarios in a book so they don't get caught off gaurd.
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

Wow! I love the way you express yourself. Nice review right there. I would love to learn more about Jamie.

Thank you for the review
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

The is well written ,it shows that you took your time to read the book and not just skim through. Also the warning about explicit content was good since not everyone likes it. Readers will now be aware and those who don't like it will avoid it hence cause no embarrassment
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I know a few people who once served in the forces. That life really changes a person. This is a book I would like to explore.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

This sounds like a wonderful romance that is unique in its earnest and honest portrayal of homo-social bonds. Great review for a great (sounding) book.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It's fascinating that the author manages to make us see and experience the war through Jamie's eyes. There's so much pain in Chris and Jamie's life that I might not have the guts to digest this one. I am among the faint at heart.

Love the way you write!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
TUSHIMA JEREMIAH
Favorite Author: Charlie Sheldon
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 6
fav_author_id: 76074

Post by TUSHIMA JEREMIAH »

This book seems portray human major decisions. It is a good review.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Almost all MM novels have those sexual scenes. Not that I'm against it, God no, but after a while it just feels like a pattern and not a life.
But anyway, thanks to your review now I'm intrigued to read the story and experience the things you experienced.
Thanks
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”