Official Review: Call Me Ghost by MJ Hague

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Call Me Ghost by MJ Hague

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Call Me Ghost" by MJ Hague.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Call Me Ghost by M.J. Hague is a thriller with loads of death and action. If this is the sort of thing you like, then this book is definitely for you. For this reason, I wouldn’t recommend this for a young audience, but as the death scenes are not overly graphic, I think it would be fine for teenagers to read.

Daniel is a high strung member of an elite black ops team. Things go badly during an interrogation that he was conducting, causing his boss to have words with him. Daniel loses it, and he takes off. As the teams guiding philosophy is “once in, always in” there is only one way to leave and that is dead! What follows is a cat and mouse chase where the remaining team members try to wipe out Daniel for abandoning them. In this situation though, the mouse is well armed and deadly.

Most of the book is written in the third person describing what happens to all the team members. There is very little character development for most of the people in the story, probably because they don’t live long enough to need any. The main three characters get described in full detail. The author gets each man to describe himself as an interlude, to break up the action sequence and then gets quickly back to the action.

I think that Daniel was written brilliantly, even though he is the bad guy, he sets out methodically to do what he needs to do. I was a little disappointed though with the team's response to his actions. As Daniel was originally one of the team, the other team members would know well how he would act in these conditions. However, they didn’t seem to act like they were hunting a sniper and as the dead start to pile up, they didn’t alter their tactics. I found this very disappointing.

I have to say the ending came as a nice surprise, as it wasn’t at all what I was expecting it to be. I would say though that the end arrived very abruptly and was left wide open for a continuation story. As the story was only half the size of a typical novel I feel the author could easily have continued this story without much trouble and could then have provided a more conclusive ending.

On the whole, this was a well-edited book with only a few mistakes. Most of these were due to words being missed out. This did cause the flow of the story to be broken up as you had to devise what the author intended the sentence to be about before being able to carry on. With these errors, the way the story seemed very one-sided and the abrupt ending, I can only give this 3 out of 4 stars.

Call Me Ghost
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

This sounds like a crazy action packed thriller. I love books that entice my reading appetite, never to let go. Will definitely check it out. Brilliant review
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

This sounds like a great book, especially if you want a fast-paced read. I can envision my father really enjoying it as you have described. I will recommend it to him! :) Thanks for the review!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Wonderful review. I'm tempted, but bloody scenes aren't for me. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a good surprise ending plus well written characters. Sounds like a winner. Too bad about the errors. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This is just my type of book, I love action-packed thrillers. You have a good review there, Emie Cuevas.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Emie! This is a thrilling review. I'd like to know how Daniel ends up.

P.S. That bit about the characters' not needing development as they die too soon was clever.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Sounds like an interesting thriller. My problem with them is that they are often pretty similar towards the end, so glad to see that this one is different in that regard.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Interesting premise. I think this a book I would like reading, because of the mind game and the action.
FizztIzzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fizztizzy.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by FizztIzzy »

This sounds like a very interesting book, and one that would be hard to put down. Thank-you for your review.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

It sounds like the author did a great job with Daniel's character; I like when we get different perspectives other than the typical 'good guy.' I can see what you mean about it being disappointed that the team wouldn't be able to anticipate his moves though. Great review!
AgushomaStephenMbaga
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by AgushomaStephenMbaga »

And no book takes my time like a black ops filled one. This one is certainly a must read. I love the flow of the story and how the narration is by almost all the characters. The death though.... But I must say it was nice reading it. The author did good and I give the book 3of 5.
Reet Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reet-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Reet Aulakh »

The review is very nice. I enjoyed reading it. The book seems very interesting.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Shahina Hussain
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Shahina Hussain »

Interesting review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”