Official Review: Murder at Broadcast Park by Bill L. Evans

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: Murder at Broadcast Park by Bill L. Evans

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Murder at Broadcast Park" by Bill L. Evans.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John Rankin had always been the first one to arrive at the CBS news station. His job was to handle the assignment desk and switch on the lights in the studio. Everything in his life changes when he finds Steve Johnson, a popular news anchor, sitting on the news desk with a rope around his neck. A few hours later, the body of Jesse Anderson, a young intern at CBS, is found on the bed of Steve Johnson. As the investigation progresses, the police discover nothing. No murder weapon, no motive, no suspects. The victims appear to have died at the same time, in the same manner, but at two different places. The lack of evidence solidifies the fact that it was a murder, but it also poses a problem because the investigation cannot move forward without any evidence. There are a lot of questions in front of the police. What was Steve Johnson doing in the studio, late after his work hours? Why was there a rope around his neck when he clearly didn’t die by hanging? Why was the body of Jesse Anderson on his bed? And above all, how did they die? Will the police be able to solve this mystery, or will it go down as the unsolvable murder? Has someone finally committed ‘the perfect crime’?

Murder at Broadcast Park by Bill Evans is not your everyday crime thriller. Spinning a tale around the murder of a news anchor, Evans introduces us to the workings of the media industry. For someone, like me, who is clueless about it, this novel can be quite informative. It is fast paced and quick in taking sharp turns that catch you unawares. The first two chapters are the best thing about this book. They completely hold the interest of the reader and form a firm foundation on which the rest of the story stands. The writing style is commendable, in this portion. Authors, often, take it a bit slow in the beginning, biding their time to drop the bombshells at the right moment. Evans doesn’t seem like one of those authors. Right from the beginning, there are twists and turns which leave no room to catch one’s breath.

This novel is written in the third person and is descriptive for most part. We know what is going on inside each character’s head. To make matters clearer, the author has cleverly and effortlessly slipped in the background story while introducing a certain character. They all seem pretty sorted out which leads to an unsettling transparency. We lament the doomed fate of the characters who don’t know what we know. We call out to them to not fall into the trap of the villain and pull our hair when they do exactly what the killer wants them to. This sense of dread, because we know what’s going to happen, is what this story is all about.

As exciting as this book sounds, it is not without flaws. While, in the beginning, it is thrilling, the enthusiasm diminishes with each chapter. Through the first few chapters, I had absolutely no idea about who the killer might be. I believed that it was the strength of the plot, and this made me feel a bit stupid about myself. There were no red herrings, no connections, nothing whatsoever that could lead us to the murderer. I was clueless, and this is what the best ones do to you. Predictability is the weakest point of a murder mystery, and this novel seemed impervious to such a flaw. For a while.

Halfway through the book and I knew everything. I knew who the killer was, which was also what the author intended. Something that was truly unpredictable had now become unsurprising and conventional. I will agree that the approach of laying it bare in front of the reader is not flawed. We are supposed to the loathe the villain and pity the victims. If handled correctly, this could have been the perfect book. The ending would have been its masterstroke. However, nothing like this happened. I didn’t feel connected enough to feel hatred or sympathy for the characters. Their history should have evolved to create a psychological game. However, it didn’t turn out as was intended by the writer. All in all, there was no proper development of the characters.

One thing that seemed totally out of context was a certain subplot in the story. Why the author bothered to create it is beyond me. It all started to fall apart after a while, and by the end, there wasn’t much left. For all these reasons, my rating for Murder at Broadcast Park is 2 out of 4 stars. If I could, I would have granted it a 2.5. It’s not that I didn’t like this book. I liked its idea, and the approach was a rare feat. I believe that it couldn’t stand up to the expectations that its first few chapters had created. In crime novels, the reader feels indulged. It allows us to bet on the characters and ignites our inner detective. In this novel, there was no such thrill of the chase. To make up for it, the author had to bring in the psychological factor. This unconventional tactic didn’t pan out as it was supposed to and this is what disappointed me the most.

Murder at Broadcast Park
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReviewerDiksha's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I very much dislike when it starts out great but goes downhill. It sounds like it had potential, but it definitely fell short. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ReviewerDiksha

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

kandscreeley wrote:I very much dislike when it starts out great but goes downhill. It sounds like it had potential, but it definitely fell short. Thanks for the review!
I was disppointed because it had a really great start. And you are right, it fell short of its mark. Thank you for stopping by. :)
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the warning, but I still may read this. One, because the media is - or would be -
my chosen field, so the subject matter greatly interests me. Two, I nearly always know the killer long before the end and the book I'm reading now tells us the killer right away, so I don't think knowing who it is before the end will turn me off.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

If I had just read half of the review, I would thought this was an impeccable read. It's a shame the author couldn't keep up the goodness throughout the whole book. What a downer! Thanks for your detailed review!
ReviewerDiksha

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

MsTri wrote:Thanks for the warning, but I still may read this. One, because the media is - or would be -
my chosen field, so the subject matter greatly interests me. Two, I nearly always know the killer long before the end and the book I'm reading now tells us the killer right away, so I don't think knowing who it is before the end will turn me off.
Do let me know when you have read it. I would love to know your thoughts on it. Thanks for stopping by :)

-- 23 Oct 2017, 11:27 --
Kalin Adi wrote:If I had just read half of the review, I would thought this was an impeccable read. It's a shame the author couldn't keep up the goodness throughout the whole book. What a downer! Thanks for your detailed review!
I am glad you stayed for the whole review :D
Thank you
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Your intro had me hooked. Too bad the enthusiasm diminishes towards the end.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
ReviewerDiksha

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Mercy Bolo wrote:Your intro had me hooked. Too bad the enthusiasm diminishes towards the end.
I am glad you stopped by, Mercy Bolo. Thank you :D
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

It started out so exciting! I was thinking that maybe I had found a new thriller to cozy up with. Such a disappointment when they just don't work after such a good beginning! And so I don't think I will read it. But...
Thanks for the warning, but I still may read this. One, because the media is - or would be -
MsTri, if you actually read this I would love to hear your opinion as well. It often happens that books one person loves another detests and vice versa. I am willing to be convinced to change my mind! :)
ReviewerDiksha

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Kat Berg wrote:It started out so exciting! I was thinking that maybe I had found a new thriller to cozy up with. Such a disappointment when they just don't work after such a good beginning! And so I don't think I will read it. But...
MsTri, if you actually read this I would love to hear your opinion as well. It often happens that books one person loves another detests and vice versa. I am willing to be convinced to change my mind! :)
Thank you for stopping by :D
And I agree, opinions differ from person to person. Let me know if you do decide to read to it :) I'd love to know others' opinions on this.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Thanks for such a detailed review! Characters that I fail to connect with enough to love or even hate them is a big turn off for me. I even prefer unlikable characters to those that simply take up space on the page.
ReviewerDiksha

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

ashley_claire wrote:Thanks for such a detailed review! Characters that I fail to connect with enough to love or even hate them is a big turn off for me. I even prefer unlikable characters to those that simply take up space on the page.
Thank you for giving your time to read the review Ashley. :)
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

I think the book is engrossing from the beginning, by allowing twists in the mystery. Having the victims at unpredictable places is a nice catch. Too bad it didn't flow as expected.
Yodik
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Yodik »

Definitely a short story but it gives a lot of lesson to be learn. You can never trust anyone only GOD.
ReviewerDiksha

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Yodik wrote:Definitely a short story but it gives a lot of lesson to be learn. You can never trust anyone only GOD.
Thank you Yodik! :D

-- 25 Oct 2017, 00:25 --
kwahu wrote:I think the book is engrossing from the beginning, by allowing twists in the mystery. Having the victims at unpredictable places is a nice catch. Too bad it didn't flow as expected.
I was really excited at the beginning of the book, and that is what resulted in making disappointment more sore than it would have been. Thank you for stopping by Kwahu :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”