Official Review: Holding Hope in Our Hands

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Holding Hope in Our Hands

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Holding Hope in Our Hands" by Kristin Skenderi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Holding Hope in Our Hands is a touching and memorable book of love, hope and faith written by Kristin Skenderi.

Nixon Matthew Skenderi, only child of young couple Kristin and Ozzie Skenderi, is only six months old when he is taken to the hospital because of a lingering cough. After a set of tests, he is diagnosed with Gocher’s Disease (g?’SH?z), a rare genetic disorder caused by deficiency in glucocerebrosidase enzyme, enzyme that breaks down fatty substances which builds up in certain organs, particularly spleen and liver. This build up causes these organs to enlarge and affect their functions. This is a fatal disease and there is no cure.

Despite the doctors’ pronouncement that Nixon may not live long enough to celebrate his third birthday, Kristin and Ozzie vow to never give up until they exhausted every possible option. They search the internet for anything they can find out about the rare disease including a possible cure. They come across two professors in the United Kingdom who, in turn, refer them to another professor of medicine in England. The professor mentions stem cell transplant and shares with them a list of doctors, but only one of which is in the United States. Unknowingly, the professor gives them the greatest gift the couple could possibly receive at the time, hope.

After getting in touch with the doctor in Pennsylvania, the family travels to the East Coast to have Nixon evaluated for his viability for transplant. Nixon undergoes a series of tests and is declared viable candidate for umbilical cord stem cell transplant. With that sliver of hope, the couple decides to move to Pennsylvania for the duration of their child’s transplant process which may take between five and eight months.

This is not just a book. It is actually an experience, an experience that teaches the readers that there is much more important in life than money or other material things. It is well written in conversational tone and is therefore easy to read. It is written with great passion as the author bares her heart and soul and shares her family’s experience to the readers.

Written in chronological order that began when Nixon was diagnosed in April of 2014, the book highlights Nixon’s journey as his family moves to another state, away from their friends and relatives, to a roller coaster ride that is their life. More than baby Nixon’s extraordinary strength and courage in the face of a faceless adversary, the book offers a multitude of life lessons. These include giving up what you are to be what you need to be for the sake of the most important person in your life, to live not day by day but minute by minute, and savoring every moment, every touch, every smile thinking that that moment, that touch or that smile may be the last.

Aside from a few obvious typo errors (like filled with of many anxious and worried parents and we don’t how to console him), I love everything about the book. I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend it not just to parents but to everyone. This is a book of love, hope, faith and life lessons to live by.

Holding Hope in Our Hands
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

That is a great book showing the love of parents to their children and the lengths they can go to ensure their wellbeing. Great review it shows how much hope can do.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like a really great book. I'm intrigued by your description and wondering what happens to this little child. It sounds a little bit like Lorenzo's Oil in some ways. Thanks for a great review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

I love the conversational tone in a book, it's a hard achievement for writers. The book tackles issues that I like. A very nice review
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Ekpenyong David
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ekpenyong David »

It really amazing product found in the book,really great hope for writer, very nice review
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Job Njoroge wrote:That is a great book showing the love of parents to their children and the lengths they can go to ensure their wellbeing. Great review it shows how much hope can do.
Thank you very much. It is a great book.

-- 17 Oct 2017, 00:37 --
kandscreeley wrote:Wow! This sounds like a really great book. I'm intrigued by your description and wondering what happens to this little child. It sounds a little bit like Lorenzo's Oil in some ways. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you very much. I enjoyed the book a lot :)

-- 17 Oct 2017, 00:38 --
Cloe101 wrote:I love the conversational tone in a book, it's a hard achievement for writers. The book tackles issues that I like. A very nice review
Thank you. The conversational tone made the book an easy read :)
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Wow, what a touching story! I'll have to check out what happened next with the child. Did he survive? Stem cell transplant is something that, apparently, helps with lots of serious illnesses (even some forms of cancer), so it is here to stay. Great review, kimmyschemy06.
Perfect Ndlovu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 341">Puffy and the Formidable Foe</a>
Currently Reading: Alphabet Motivation
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Perfect Ndlovu »

This is an experience to all of us that they os much more things to do in life .
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Money does not buy all we need in life. This book has many great lessons. It is a must read. Thanks for the review. I give it 4 out of 4.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kislany wrote:Wow, what a touching story! I'll have to check out what happened next with the child. Did he survive? Stem cell transplant is something that, apparently, helps with lots of serious illnesses (even some forms of cancer), so it is here to stay. Great review, kimmyschemy06.
Thank you very much. I hope you get a chance to read it :)

-- 17 Oct 2017, 23:02 --
Perfect Ndlovu wrote:This is an experience to all of us that they os much more things to do in life .
So true. Thank you for the comment :)

-- 17 Oct 2017, 23:05 --
Sarah Immanuel wrote:Money does not buy all we need in life. This book has many great lessons. It is a must read. Thanks for the review. I give it 4 out of 4.
You're welcome. This is a wonderful book.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

A great book on the hardships of life and parental love. Great review
Omoneka Ekhaizor
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Omoneka Ekhaizor »

It goes a long way to show the importance of good health over wealth. The quest for survival. Showing care to a loved one in crisis can be a source of strength to them and us as well. And not giving up easily on daily challenges. We never know that there's always a light at the end of the tunnel
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Salsabila wrote:A great book on the hardships of life and parental love. Great review
Thank you very much. it is, indeed, a great book.

-- 18 Oct 2017, 21:16 --
Omoneka Ekhaizor wrote:It goes a long way to show the importance of good health over wealth. The quest for survival. Showing care to a loved one in crisis can be a source of strength to them and us as well. And not giving up easily on daily challenges. We never know that there's always a light at the end of the tunnel
So true! Thank you very much for the comment and welcome to the forum :)
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

This sounds like a very moving story. It's one that I may have to check out!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mindi wrote:This sounds like a very moving story. It's one that I may have to check out!
It, sure, is. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”