Conflicts regarding tradition

Discuss the October 2017 Book of the Month, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon.

View Strong Heart on Bookshelves

View Strong Heart on Amazon
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Conflicts regarding tradition

Post by gali »

Emie Cuevas wrote:I think both traditions and data have their place, but they both need to be verified. I always remember the following story as an example:
In cooking Thanksgiving dinner, a man noticed that his wife cut the ends of the ham.
He asked her why, and she said: "it's how her mum always cooked it."
A short time later visiting her parents he innocently asked her Mum, why do you cut off the ends of the ham? Mum Replied "it's how her mum always cooked it."
Luckily a short time later they just happened to visit his wives grandmother. Hoping to finally find out why he asked granny the same question.
She said, "I had to, my pan was too small for the ham to fit!"
As I say, verify the tradition is valid before following it blindly.
lol, a cute anecdote. I agree we should not follow tradition blindly.

-- October 10th, 2017, 3:24 pm --
Christina Rose wrote:
gali wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:
I agree that using the atlatl to prevent construction was the most suitable idea. I wonder if Tom was just being stubborn when he continued to insist they leave it with Bob-Bob.
I don't think he was just being stubborn. I think he truly believes it is better to leave it with Bob-Bob.
I'm sure you're right ? In a real life situation, it wouldn't be an easy decision to make, regardless of whether or not Myra's argument made sense.
Indeed, it wouldn't be an easy decision to make.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Many traditions have been eroded hence should be used with great caution. However much of the modern data is now well researched hence more trusted and can be proven
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that legends matter more because they hold a community together in order to teach the next generation. It is always great to have facts to back up these stories and beliefs, but it is not necessary. There are many sayings and beliefs that Western society has which makes our country unique.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I think legends mean more because it was like holding on to the legacy of a family. Data can do almost anything now a days. You can find almost anything on the computer anymore. Something as important as tradition, legend can hold on to forever if you do it just right.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
gali

Post by gali »

Good points, guys!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I've been thinking about this question, but I haven't reached a conclusion. Traditions are part of our identity, but data can help the future generations to know about the traditions. If we do not appreciate our traditions and they fade away, then we will have no data in the future. To be or not to be. This is the dilemma! :evil:
gali

Post by gali »

Kalin Adi wrote:I've been thinking about this question, but I haven't reached a conclusion. Traditions are part of our identity, but data can help the future generations to know about the traditions. If we do not appreciate our traditions and they fade away, then we will have no data in the future. To be or not to be. This is the dilemma! :evil:
And a mighty dilemma it is!
A retired Admin/Mod

BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Kalin Adi wrote:I've been thinking about this question, but I haven't reached a conclusion. Traditions are part of our identity, but data can help the future generations to know about the traditions. If we do not appreciate our traditions and they fade away, then we will have no data in the future. To be or not to be. This is the dilemma! :evil:
Data can be based on traditional happenings and findings.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

BelindaC
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belindac.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by BelindaC »

Lie most others, I agree that both are important. While legends are extremely important, the data is necessary for the context and understanding of those legends.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
himynamestom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himynamestom.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by himynamestom »

I agree that we need to try to preserve our traditions, but at the same time, I wonder if the "strongest" traditions will survive on their own regardless.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I believe traditions will survive if families pound into their children's heads about the importance of keeping those traditions alive.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
gali

Post by gali »

Amagine wrote:I believe traditions will survive if families pound into their children's heads about the importance of keeping those traditions alive.
I agree. Also, if the parents keep the traditions, the kids most likely will follow their example.
A retired Admin/Mod

Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I think the best thing would be to find a balance between the two. Completely ignoring the importance of the other can be unwise.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Job Njoroge wrote:Data and legends should work to complement each other since the legends have reasons backing them some sound others not
I agree. I think that it matters what we are doing with them. Legends contain data, but that is not their primary reason for existing. Legends are meant to tell us something more than "just the facts ma'am." There is a reason people told stories and legends and sometimes those stories etc. were true, but not in a journalistic, literal sense. This is especially true of ancient peoples. The purpose of telling a story wasn't just to give facts, like we would today in a newspaper, it was to challenge other points of view, or to speak out against bad behavior, or for ease of memory. All these things could impact the details, the order. The way it was told was also a hint about how we are meant to understand the facts. So, in combining them with facts we arrive at even more valuable information than we would otherwise have. Sorry to sound a little pedantic! I LOVE this kind of discussion, so it brings out that side of me. :oops:
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

jwalker73 wrote:Both are important and sometimes the evidence to support a legend's true existence has been buried so deep it has just not been discovered yet.
I could not agree more! This is why we need a good medium between the two.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick

Return to “Discuss "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon”