Review by Evike -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Evike
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evike.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review by Evike -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Evike »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

TITLE: Strong Heart
AUTHOR: Charlie Sheldon
CHAPTER: 44 Chapter in Book
Reviewer: Evike

When I started to read Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon, I was not sure if I would like this book or not. However, the characters took me by surprise and I found myself getting into the story to the point when it felt like, I was part of the story. The story is about Sarah, a 13-year-old girl who meets her grandfather, Tom a very first time. Both of her parents are dead, and she was raised by her stepdad until he went to work in Europa.

The story started off when Sarah is dropped off at her grandfather's place by Tom's ex-wife, Ruth. Tom is in the middle of packing to go up to the Olympic Peninsula with his Native American friends, William and his daughter, Myra. Tom has an unfinished business to take care of there up in the mountain, but all of a sudden he is not sure if he should wait with a trip or take Sarah with them too. By William persuasion, Tom reluctantly agrees to take Sarah along the trip.

While on the trip, Sarah sees a short-faced bear, that it has been extinct at least twelve thousand years. She draws the bear and even though she draws very well, nobody believes her. Shortly after that, Sarah goes missing for 8 days. Everybody is looking for her and they almost lose hope, when unexpectedly Sarah returns. For a while she doesn't say what's happened to her but then she breaks her silence and tells a story which is some way unbelievable, some way remarkable.

I like Sarah's strong character. She is smart, witty and intelligent. While she was missing for 8 days, she learned some skills, like throwing darts and speaking in a different language. Her whole story makes you ask the question: Was she in a dream state, vision quest or in a different alternate reality?

The book is well written. You could tell the author did an extensive research and combines science, deep rooted legend/history of the Native American Indians, anthropology and family relationship together very well. He also has an extensive knowledge of anthropology of the first human's existence and the animals that have been extinct for thousands of years.

I love this book and I truly enjoyed reading it with its unique and unexpected twists. I am hoping, there will be a sequel for the up coming months. The book has 44 Chapters in it. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend it for everyone to read. Excellent book.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Evike's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
olaniyi02
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by olaniyi02 »

I am really sure by the time i finish reading this book i wont excitate to give 4stars.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Enjoyed your review. I was also impressed by the author's knowledge of the area and history. A sequel would be great!
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I agree the research that went into the book was very great. In my review, I wrote that the book requires a great deal of patience to read, otherwise you'd just put it aside due to how slow paced the plot developed. But I agree it is worth reading.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your review. Sarah didn't appeal to me initially as she was even annoyingly-stubborn at the start, but she taught me not to be so judgmental as she turned out to have her past to explain her behaviour and her redeeming qualities that fit her native name. I also agree that the author was great in mixing well-researched facts and details to complement (and perhaps substantiate) folklore and mystique.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Espie

Post by Espie »

olaniyi02 wrote: 13 Oct 2017, 08:38 I am really sure by the time i finish reading this book i wont excitate to give 4stars.
I also read, reviewed and loved this book. It didn't disappoint, indeed.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
Espie

Post by Espie »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 15:59 Enjoyed your review. I was also impressed by the author's knowledge of the area and history. A sequel would be great!
Your wish is to be made true. Volume 2 (and even 3) is already in the pipeline. I've seen the book cover proposals. Cheers.
Espie

Post by Espie »

meteku4 wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 16:35 I agree the research that went into the book was very great. In my review, I wrote that the book requires a great deal of patience to read, otherwise you'd just put it aside due to how slow paced the plot developed. But I agree it is worth reading.
I agree. Some parts initially perplexed me but prodded me to read further. I found it worth my while, too.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”