Review by Ashley Simon -- Farmer Beau's Farm

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Review by Ashley Simon -- Farmer Beau's Farm

Post by Ashley Simon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the tenderhearted Farmer Beau and his sweet wife Bamma stumble across a litter of kittens in their garage, they can’t help but take care of the helpless little animals until they are strong enough to venture out on their own. One by one, the kittens grow up and leave the farm, until Farmer Beau and his wife decide to fix a home for the last kitten. Kailey Kitten, as she will soon be named, sticks around the farmyard, and she and the couple become close friends.

Before long, Kailey makes another animal friend of her own, an adorable bunny named Sammy. Sammy and Kailey become fast friends, and they tramp around the farmyard having exciting adventures. Then one day, they catch wind of an interesting rumor. Someone else is coming to live on Farmer Beau’s farm. Who could it be? And will this new animal fit in on Farmer’s Beau’s farm?

Even as an adult, I was instantly hooked by this delightful story. Adam Musk’s whimsical illustrations compliment Kathleen Geiger’s well-written prose, bringing the farm and its quirky inhabitants to life before our eyes. The vocabulary is challenging enough to keep the attention of intermediate and advanced readers. Repetition of words like “farmer, farm, farmed” will keep students from getting frustrated. The book may be a bit long for students with short attention spans, but it could easily be read in a few sittings. There aren’t actual chapter breaks, but the illustrations are spaced out to mark the beginning of each new plot twist.

Children (and adults) of all ages are sure to relate to the curious Kailey and fun-loving Sammy, who sometimes speak before they think, and don't realize that they have said something hurtful until it is too late. Without falling into the trap of preachiness, Kathleen Geiger gently guides readers toward a conversation about acceptance and remembering the impact of our words. If you are looking for a way to start a conversation with your child about acceptance, diversity, inclusion—or just plain making friends!—Farmer Beau’s Farm is a perfect place to start.

I did notice a few typos in the book. On one occasion, the sentence reads: “She hid and then jump out” when it should be “jumped” out. Still, these errors were minuscule, and it is clear that the book was edited professionally. Based on these factors, I have no qualms about giving this book a 4 out of 4 rating. Farmer Beau's Farm is a delightful story that is sure to reward readers of all ages, and students will return to its pages again and again.

Farmer Beau's Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Ashley Simon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very thorough and detailed review. I enjoyed reading it and your review inspired me to read this book.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

That was a very good review. I like the way you write. Had I not read the book before I would've been enticed.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've read this book and enjoyed it. It is a cute children's book.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I'm planning to read this soon. Thanks for your review!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Great review of this children book, I also reviewed and agree with your views.
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”