Official Review: Programmed To Kill by David Murray

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Programmed To Kill by David Murray

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Programmed To Kill" by David Murray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The criminal underworld of Sydney, Australia, has been taking care of their own problems for decades. When a renowned hit-man gets his latest assignment, to take out a sixty-year-old man, he figured that it would be a piece of cake. Not only was the attempt on David's life the last thing this hit-man ever did, but it also started a chain of events which makes Programmed to Kill by David Murray the best revenge story I have read since Dumas' unbeatable classic.

After the attempt on his life, David calls together three friends with whom he trained for service in Vietnam. Unbeknownst to almost anyone else, these men were a select few conscripts who trained as special forces prior to service in the conflict: a highly illegal thing for Australia to do and therefore kept secret by all. These men, who have been trained to do unspeakable acts, are soon to become their adversaries' worst nightmare. Still not realizing what he is up against and in order to get back at David for taking out his friend, Welles turns his attention to David's wife and daughter. I'm sure you can guess that this action is not well received by David and his buddies and I'll encourage you to pick up this book to see where it takes you.

This book is an action-packed tale of cat and mouse that blends the reader's concept of right versus wrong. There is a distinct three-way struggle between David and his friends, Welles and his seedy gang, and the local police forces that are thrown into the mix of it all. I loved how the author is able to have all of these characters play their distinct roles in the book and keep the reader debating where they stand morally. Without going into much more detail, the reader is challenged to decide for themselves whether or not David's actions are justified based on the circumstances, how the police should handle the situation, and whether or not there are actions that go beyond the traditional justice system. The book keeps the reader interested and guessing throughout the story. You are never sure just how far Murray will take his reader in this tale of revenge. No character, good or bad, is safe in this book. What I liked best about this book is that it doesn't shy away from the harsh realities of the criminal world. He doesn't hold back from putting the good characters in his story through unspeakable acts and having equally horrifying situations befall his bad characters. It gives a level of realism most authors don't dare attempt.

There were a couple of minor spelling / grammatical / wording issues in the book that I had noticed. For example, the author uses the word "recognizance" instead of "reconnaissance", "all be it" instead of "albeit", and "rekey" instead of "recce". These issues, however, were few and far between and by no means detracted from the story-line. What I disliked the most was how sometimes the language seemed forced. At times, when characters were talking, it seemed like the author was trying to force a more sophisticated language on his characters than would be natural. Conversely, once the dialogue halted, he seemed to resort to a more colloquial verbiage. That being said, this really is nitpicking for what is an excellent and exhilarating story.

For the emotional roller coaster that this book gives its reader, I will present Programmed to Kill by David Murray with a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is the type of story that you can read through in one fell swoop, never guessing the details of its ending, and gasping at where the author takes you chapter after chapter. If you are a fan of an epic revenge tale or are particularly interested in crime books, this one needs to be your next read. Unfortunately, I do have to throw one disclaimer in here. As has been alluded to in the review above, this book is quite graphic at times. Not only are there some pretty violent scenes, but there is also a particular scene near the beginning of the book which is both visually descriptive, degrading, and hard to read. If you are not a fan of violence in your books and can't handle difficult situations, you should probably pass this one up.

Programmed To Kill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

That is different, most books focus on giving just the protagonists problems. This sounds so engrossing, especially as it is able to involve its readers emotions. Thank you for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I loved your review, and based on it, I really want to read this book. And the cherry on the cake? Your reference to Alexandre Dumas. I grew up with his books, I've read them all, including the Count of Monte Cristo.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Great review! This is the kind of novel I enjoy reading. It sounds like it will be an adventure from cover to cover. Great job!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love books that keep me guessing. This sounds like quite a great suspense story. I'll put it on my list. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gratey12
Currently Reading: Marvel Science Stories Nov 1950
Bookshelf Size: 588
Reading Device: B00P93430Q

Post by Gratey12 »

Crime and the underworld are always good reading for me, especially when they involve former soldiers, commandos and mercenaries. I can't wait to read this book.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Wow! You can make any action-lover reader to devour this book after reading your review. I like supense and twists in the stories, but too much violence and degrading scenes are not for me. Thanks for the great review!
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

Thank you for your review. Because of your review, I really want to read this book. I like books that are full of action and suspense.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Josebrish
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Josebrish »

No character, good or bad, is safe in this book. What I liked best about this book is that it doesn't shy away from the harsh realities of the criminal world...
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

This one looks like a must read. Interesting review. Thanks.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A revenge story in the line of Dumas involving seedy characters and four Vietnam Veterans friends that leaves one gasping? Sounds good, though I am not sure it is for me. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bandit008
Currently Reading: Bishop's War
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bandit008 »

If you're the type of person who enjoys suspence this book really SPILLS A WORK OF ART IMAGERY SCENES that captures the thoughts of its readers, just purely A MASTERPIECE.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

Even as I read this review, my heart was beating upon almost every word. I am not certain how it will react to the novel itself, but I have to read it later. Thanks for this review.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Sounds like a very intriguing book which would definitely spark one's view of morality. Thanks for the great review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

As a general rule, while I enjoy a good mystery or crime story, I do not appreciate revenge stories, especially when you add in graphically violent and demeaning scenes. The wording issues would also drive me crazy. I read the sample of this book, and there is one in the very first paragraph: entangle used instead of untangle. So this book will be a pass for me! But thanks for the good review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”