Official Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William H. Coles’s McDowell is ripe with just about every emotion known to man. I laughed, I cried, I was filled with anger; I saw love and hate (sometimes at the same time), and much more as I read the story of Hiram McDowell.

McDowell is a story that, at its core, is about guilt and redemption. Hiram McDowell is a surgeon who, at various points in his life ran a medical foundation in Nepal, led the International College of Surgeons, and was nominated to be the United States Secretary of Health. Hiram is married to Carole; after being widowed, they create a blended family with their children. Their relationships are rife with conflict almost from the beginning. Hiram spends quite a bit of time in Nepal, climbing peaks and working with the foundation. The more time he spends away from home, the better it is for all of them. Hiram’s adult children are involved in his life in interesting ways. Sophie is a photographer whose work involves Hiram’s life issues more as time goes on. Ann and her family become pivotal in Hiram’s future as tragedy, as well as his decisions, affect them all in permanent, life-changing ways. When youngest, Billie, reaches adulthood, he is also involved in dad’s life through work and a complex family issue.

The first part of the story focuses on Hiram’s quest for money and power. He makes many enemies, alienates friends and co-workers, and shows care for his children in unorthodox ways. The second part of the story focuses on the dreadful consequences of his past choices. Hiram finds himself on a completely new path, often alone, but also having different kinds of people in his life. He wants the world to know the truth about him, while he is changing in surprising ways.

Is it possible to find redemption when one is guilty of terrible things? Can one find love again? For any of these things to happen, a person has to really recognize and accept that what one did was terrible. For the protagonist in this story, that was a difficult concept, despite the external consequences that forever changed his life. Meeting new people who do not know your past can sometimes help one to see something different from what they have had before. For Hiram, these new encounters and relationships do make him think about what is important to him. Internalizing and processing what has happened and what changes are coming is still very difficult. At points, I wondered if narcissism was an issue for Hiram, but some actions make me question that thought. It is possible for some people that they will always have lives based on the past, no matter what their current conditions are, which readers may find interesting with some of the other characters in this story as well.

This fictional tale will have you question what a human is capable of doing when life does not turn out as one expected it to do. The impact of people’s choices on their relationships really draws the reader into the story. Seeing how Hiram’s children react, all in very different ways, to each other and to the world, makes you wonder how real life people deal with tragedy. The victims are not only the obvious ones. Coles has the ability to make you feel through his words, providing connection to the characters, almost making it possible to feel for them even when they commit immoral acts.

McDowell is professionally edited, with no noted grammar mistakes. The one concrete weakness was that it was not always possible to figure out how much time had passed between scenarios. This did lead to occasional confusion.

This story will appeal to a variety of readers but most especially those who love crime and mystery stories, or the study of human nature through fiction. If you enjoy not being able to guess how a story is going to end until you are at the end, you will love McDowell. Although not completely devoid of strong language, it is minimal. There a few mild sexual scenes help make the story seem more realistic. For all of these reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It would make a great in-person book club “read”.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, thorough review! I loved your opening line, that the book is "rife with just about every emotion known to man." The book sounds jam-packed with interesting content.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I saw this one when it was book of the day. It was intriguing then, and your review makes it sound even better. It's one I'll have to try. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Interesting review. Seems like my type of book. It's wonderful to see authors who create realistic characters with flaws that one can relate to.
-rk
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

bookowlie wrote:Great, thorough review! I loved your opening line, that the book is "rife with just about every emotion known to man." The book sounds jam-packed with interesting content.
This one definitely falls among my list of favorites that I've reviewed.

-- 05 Aug 2017, 10:08 --
raikyuu wrote:Interesting review. Seems like my type of book. It's wonderful to see authors who create realistic characters with flaws that one can relate to.
Coles did a great job with his character portrayal. There were many times where I thought "I could see myself reacting like that".
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

This does sound pretty interesting. I always like reading about flawed protagonists who can grow and change. How good is the pacing? It sounds like it spends a lot of time at the beginning and then the middle of his journey.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote:This does sound pretty interesting. I always like reading about flawed protagonists who can grow and change. How good is the pacing? It sounds like it spends a lot of time at the beginning and then the middle of his journey.
The pacing is pretty good. There are two distinct halves. I'd say that the second part really covers the "middle" through the "end". Both halves cover several years.
Jazz14
Currently Reading: The Heart of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazz14.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Jazz14 »

Well written review and It really makes me wanna read it!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Wonderful review! This book really appeals to me, with its themes of redemption and remorse. It sounds really well written. Thanks :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Marie Kala
Currently Reading: The Mirror Thief
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by Marie Kala »

Very well thought out review. I love a story with complected and realistic characters, and this one sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the review!
Josebrish
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Josebrish »

This is an interesting review and a lovely character...
REENA BEN
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by REENA BEN »

Suitable for those who love crime and mistrey stories may be for police officers and lawyers.
Students choosing those fields. A good review.
ZeroChill
Currently Reading: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zerochill.html
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace

Post by ZeroChill »

You have done a marvelous job @catinthehat...... The opening line steals everything and the rest is just amazing. Would love to read the book
Latest Review: "My Boogie board ride to Denmark" by Tedd Wallace
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This sounds like an interesting story I do enjoy crime and mystery novels but the thing that really draws me is the idea that this book will keep one guessing until the very end. Thanks so much for sharing
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A crime story revolving around the fall of grace of an egoist surgeon should be interesting. That it causes one to question "what a human is capable of doing" is to its credit. It is great that the book is professionally edited, another point to its credit. It isn't really my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”