Official Review: Pluto's Ghost: A Suspense Novel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Pluto's Ghost: A Suspense Novel

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pluto's Ghost: A Suspense Novel" by B.C.Chase.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pluto’s Ghost is an exciting science fiction suspense novel written by B. C. Chase.

The year is 2020. Jim, a seventy five year old truck driver, together with five trained astronauts, is on the way to Pluto to meet with, what Jim prefers to call ‘Unidentified Galactic Intelligences.’ Why a senior citizen with no background on space studies whatsoever is chosen to travel thirteen billion miles to the outskirts of the solar system is anybody’s guess.

In addition to being completely clueless about his inclusion to this four hundred billion dollar mission, Jim barely gets along with the mission commander. Little does he know that things will get much worse than holding his pee to avoid soiling his astronaut diaper in space. And when you’re billions of miles away from Earth, help is not coming anytime soon.

This is a fast-paced, exciting and suspenseful thriller novel that will keep the readers on the edge of their seats. Told in the first person perspective of Jim Perkins, the book is a real deal science fiction complete with space jargon and vivid descriptions of the view from space as well as the interior of the International Space Station.

Themes include leadership, discipline, team work, tyranny, duplicity and betrayal among others. The author successfully holds the readers in suspense until the end of the book. The tone is generally casual, thus easy to read. The best aspect of the story, however, is the unpredictability which keeps the book interesting, intriguing, suspenseful and thrilling. Putting the mystery at the very beginning of the story is perfect. It keeps the readers thinking, speculating and waiting until the big and climactic reveal. Though I prefer a different one, other readers may find the ending quite fitting.

Moreover, the author very kindly includes a glossary of abbreviation and technical terms at the back of the book for reference. Furthermore, given the long list of references it seems like the author did a lot of research to make this book as close to reality as possible.

However, it seems that the author focused more on the plot and less on character development, because though most of the characters are quite interesting, only the main protagonist is fully developed. My favorite, naturally, is Jim. He is funny, straightforward, unpretentious, and brave. I like how he tries to find humor in everything to make things more bearable. Moreover, I like his stand on computers. I find it very sensible.

Aside from a few errors (like it’s diameter, requires and EVA and bring is into orbit) and a short but probably significant part near the end that I didn’t at all understand, this is, generally, a great book and I enjoyed it a lot.

I, therefore, rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It is intriguing, exciting, suspenseful, well-researched, well-referenced, informative and quite entertaining. I recommend it to readers who enjoy science fiction, suspense and thriller. Some scenes, of death and sex, however may not be suitable for very young readers.

Pluto's Ghost: A Suspense Novel
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nadana23
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Nadana23 »

It's really good
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

What an interesting position for Jim to find himself in.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oooh! This sounds like just the kind of book that would appeal to me. Another great review. Thanks! I'll look this one up.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Nadana23 wrote:It's really good
Thank you! Welcome to the forum :)
Zohaib imtiaz
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zohaib-imtiaz.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Zohaib imtiaz »

definitely an eye catcher, adding to my book shelf right now :D
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Though am not usually a fan of space novels I'll definitely try this one out.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Mercy Bolo wrote:What an interesting position for Jim to find himself in.
Exactly! And that's only the beginning :)

-- 07 Oct 2017, 22:27 --
kandscreeley wrote:Oooh! This sounds like just the kind of book that would appeal to me. Another great review. Thanks! I'll look this one up.
Thank you very much! It's one great read :)

-- 07 Oct 2017, 22:27 --
Zohaib imtiaz wrote:definitely an eye catcher, adding to my book shelf right now :D
Yes, it is. I hope you get a chance to read it :)

-- 07 Oct 2017, 22:30 --
Salsabila wrote:Though am not usually a fan of space novels I'll definitely try this one out.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
Zohaib imtiaz
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zohaib-imtiaz.html

Post by Zohaib imtiaz »

Started it. Looks good in the beginning
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This sounds like a great read. I look forward to adding it to my bookshelf. Great review!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Elle Howard wrote:This sounds like a great read. I look forward to adding it to my bookshelf. Great review!
Thank you very much. It's a great book! :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”