How long have you been writing?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Re: How long have you been writing?

Post by njzeba »

I think I can consider myself a writer even though I only have poems published and no stories. And I mean, I started writing stories in like third or second grade I believe but I stopped once I left fifth grade. I took up poetry during my middle school years and have been writing them ever since. i just got back into writing stories recently. As a child, I had a huge imagination that I couldn't wait to just write on paper. Writing my stories on paper made them feel a lot more real (if that makes any sense).
mina3177
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by mina3177 »

I have been longing to write whole my life but write just a couple of years. I have published one professional essay in NY. For now it is my best accomplishment.I hope it will be the least in the future and there will be many more significant to come.
stepie82
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stepie82.html

Post by stepie82 »

I have been writing since I was 14. I won an Essay Award in 1995 for Song of the Decade for Music Alive Magazine. Since then I had written pieces on the now defunct BubbleWS. Working on writing my first novel
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Randomgold »

I've been writing since high school, but I wasn't a published writer until the middle of (what is now) last year. I think the first thing I wrote that can even be remotely considered a story was way back in middle school though.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
+++---
Currently Reading: Brown Scarf Blues
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer.php?reviewer=-
Reading Device: B00R590UNG

Post by +++--- »

I am a voracious reader and learning about various genre of writing,in future I want to write a beautiful novel and an academic book.
Adrienne Dawn
Currently Reading: The Obsession
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrienne-dawn.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Adrienne Dawn »

I am a writer. I have been writing since I was in 6th grade, but it was only a few years ago I started publishing books. I have written and published several books.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've been writing since I was in 3rd grade. I use to write stories about princesses lol. So I suppose I've been writing for twenty years.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I consider myself a writer, always have. In fact, I cannot remember when I started writing. I've literally been writing for as long as I can remember. I'm still young and I haven't published any book yet, but I have been writing since I was a child and I don't plan on ever stopping.
Desmond Abey
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Desmond Abey »

About a year
Sherry Terry
Currently Reading: A Gentleman’s Game
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Sherry Terry »

I am an author of romance/erotica, and I am a writer of web content. I have been writing as an author for over 13 years. I got started because I was tired of spending money on crappy books. Either the story was good and the romance scenes sucked, or the romance was good and the story sucked. One day while driving to work, I had a eureka moment. I can write my own romance stories.

It took me a couple of days to work out a little plot, and I jumped on the computer. At one point my son came in the computer room and asked me what I was doing clicking away at the keyboard for hours. (16 hours to be exact). When I told him, he was proud but stomped away saying, "Are you every going to cook again? Or do laundry?"

I wrote a whole novel in about two weeks and it stunk the place up. Then I joined an online writing group that changed my life. Now, all I think about are my characters. I'm a panster, so I don't outline. I just start typing.
MoseyProse
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moseyprose.html

Post by MoseyProse »

I've been writing since I was a kid! I've kept a lot of the stuff I've written since I was around 9 or 10 :)

I've also done some web content writing in the past and I've published a few online and print news articles. I'm currently working on a few novel ideas and I'm hoping to finally finish one of them this year!
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Not yet started.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I first discovered I was a writer when I was 7 years old. I won an essay contest at school about a subject I knew nothing about and I realized I had a talent. (The ability to right utter BS in a believable way makes a true writer, I'm convinced.) After that, I spent my childhood writing stories, completing my first full ghost story when I was 11. It's silly to read it now, but wasn't too bad considering I was only in the 6th grade.

I studied poetry in 8th grade Honors English, and thus evolved into a poet. I absolutely loved the artistry in capturing raw emotion with a melody of words. It was also in junior high that I began studying journalism and went on to be the Features Editor of our high school publication.

But, I faced a lengthy lull in writing as "real life" demands took over and I plugged along from job to job, just getting through the everyday. It wasn't until I had my daughter and decided that I wanted to work from home to be with her that I began to work as a freelance writer. Now, I can't imagine a life without writing. I no longer find excuses to shy away from it, but rather, find excuses to put off household chores to lose myself in my next project.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I actually do not consider myself as a writer since it is my hobby, not profession. But I have been writing from my childhood
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Yicheng Liu »

I've been writing professionally for about four years now, submitting and getting paid for work on and off. I discovered my talent for writing when I was in my childhood, and have been polishing it ever since.

Return to “Writing Discussion”