Official Review: Rebranding Branding

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Official Review: Rebranding Branding

Post by gaporter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rebranding Branding" by Darren Taylor & Mark Schreiber.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before reading Rebranding Branding by Darren Taylor and Mark Schreiber, I would have never considered a business’s “brand” as anything other than a logo and a current marketing scheme. However, Taylor and Schreiber – a brand consultant and professional novelist, respectively – make a strong case why branding is so much more than advertising, and why a company’s brand may be as important as its accountants.

Rebranding Branding is a business book that feels personal. While the book is written by both Taylor and Schreiber, I have to assume that the bulk of the content comes from Taylor, a co-founder of the branding/marketing agency Taylor & Grace. The book is written in first-person perspective, which lends to the informal, conversational tone that is conveyed. The personality of the writers is injected into the writing and their history with past clients is used as anecdotal evidence. This personal tone helps to prevent the book from ever becoming boring or tedious, which is no simple feat when discussing business tactics. I was entertained while reading, which made turning the pages quickly that much easier.

The book takes care to discuss what a brand conveys, the differences between branding and marketing, how to build a brand, and the consequences of not having a good brand. Australian tourism campaigns and the European Union are used as case studies to investigate how good or bad branding makes a difference, even beyond company sales, and there is a history lesson on the East India Trading Company. I found these case studies interesting – they really highlight how even global affairs can be dictated by brand strategy – and I enjoyed learning about the historical basis of modern corporations. Because of the far-reaching implications of branding, this book might be useful to a range of readers beyond business owners. For example, someone interested in taking control of their personal brand on the job market, or advertising a new club or group, etc.

The main criticism I have of Rebranding Branding is that at a certain point it becomes distasteful to dwell on sales figures and advertising to costumers. Our culture is already inundated with so many pervasive advertisements, do we need to encourage more? Of course, this book is primarily focused on business brands, so this is to be expected. However, I do like how the writers address this issue. They give credit to Marxist criticism of capitalist branding as manipulation. They cite the example that Chinese factory workers likely can’t afford the iPhones they build, and how branding is paid for by the overinflated price of the products. Other chapters of the book, though, build on how branding is more than advertising and selling products. Branding is the company attitude, or culture, which employees as well as customers must embrace.

I give Rebranding Branding by Darren Taylor and Mark Schreiber 4 out of 4 stars. I found no typos or grammar errors. The book as a whole had a very professional appearance, as far as editing goes. I thought that the graffiti-like graphics before each chapter were a little distracting and not relevant to the business themed subject matter, but this style does help to distinguish this book from other nonfictions business books (emphasizing the importance of creating a brand to stand out!).

Rebranding Branding
View: on Bookshelves

Like gaporter's review? Post a comment saying so!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

This one will be perfect for guys dealing with sales and marketing, obviously. I like the way you've put the review altogether.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this has some really good information. I'm not sure it's relevant to me, but I do appreciate your review. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This book sounds great for a business person or someone preparing to start a business. You review is very well written. Unfortunately, this book probably is not one I would choose. Great job summarizing it though.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

This is a subject that interests me. I was especially happy to read in your review that the book is interesting and easy to read. An interesting business book? I'm sold.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I've always been in the same camp as the reviewer was originally--branding seems like a lot of mumbo jumbo that just lines the pockets of consultants. I'm not sure this book would change this, as I've encountered it in my professional career. I had a 20
Minute conversation with one of these branding experts about why they felt adding italics was the key to changing a company's image. But thanks for the review!
Eric77
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric77.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Eric77 »

The book seems to be very informative. Guess it would be perfect for those in the world of business. Interesting though to find a business book interesting to someone who is not into that field. Great review.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A business book that feels personal and gives business tactics sounds like a good read for those interested in the topic. Not my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoyed the book despite its dwelling on sales figures. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Christianokoye
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Christianokoye »

As a 'newbie' in the business world, this book would indeed be a helpful guide. I have gone through few lines already and I can clearly say this book is informative. Kudos to the author!

-- 30 Sep 2017, 06:25 --

As a 'newbie' in the business world, this book would indeed be a helpful guide. I have gone through few lines already and I can clearly say this book is informative. Kudos to the author!
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

I'm glad that the book is not just a dull presentation of the information and that the writers gave some descriptive information about their history with clients. This will make the book more tempting to read. As for me, this book is not to my liking as I don't like non-fiction and I'm not a business person. Still thanks for the review, it is nicely written.
Pinkilicious
Currently Reading: Adrien Arpel's Three Week Crash Makeover Program
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinkilicious.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Pinkilicious »

Business and Marketing are my fields, so definitely reading this. From your review, I can tell it will be really worth it to read. Thanks for the fantastic review.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Seems insightful, though not the one that would usually have my attention. I guess I will give the sample a go to find out more.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

going by what is in the review, this book presents branding in a way I've never encountered before. I will consider reading it just to get the full picture
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nwonye Obini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwonye-obini.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Nwonye Obini »

One does not need to study business or marketing to understand that branding is the soul of any business. Look at McDonald's and KFC.

Even in writing novels, a good writer soon becomes a brand; the author's name is written boldly on the book while book's title becomes secondary... Let's give Taylor and Schreiber a standing ovation.
Tonkayenmi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tonkayenmi »

This is one best out of the numerous business books. I real enjoyed the reviewed.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”