Review by Ashley Simon -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Review by Ashley Simon -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ashley Simon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Charlie Sheldon’s novel Strong Heart, the action begins from the start. We meet Tom, an older man, his good Native American friend William, and William’s daughter, Myrna. The three friends are preparing to embark on a backpacking trip through Olympic National State Park. Before they depart, Tom’s ex-wife shows up at the door with an unexpected surprise: a girl named Sarah, who turns out to be the granddaughter Tom didn’t know he had.

Thrown off by this life-changing news that stands before him in the form of a sullen teenager, Tom makes a hasty decision to bring Sarah along on the hike. Sarah is less than thrilled. As this odd foursome makes their way along the trail, we begin to learn more about Tom—and why he is on this expedition.

Shortly after they set out, Sarah wanders off to relax by a riverbank. When she returns to camp, she is visibly shaken, and holds up a drawing of the biggest black bear Tom has ever seen. The others in the group are skeptical—black bears are not common in this area—but Sarah holds to her tale. Next thing we know, Sarah has disappeared along with an important artifact that Tom brought on the trip. Where did she go? And why?

It took me a little while to connect to this story. Strong Heart is very plot-driven, and—whether this was an intentional choice by the author or not—this characters seemed rather two-dimensional in the beginning. Though I wanted to sympathize with Tom’s strong feelings of surprise and confusion toward his granddaughter, I had a hard time empathizing with him as a character, simply because I didn’t know much about him.

Further, when the four characters set off on their hike, William and Myra seemed just as surprised as Sarah by large portions of Tom’s backstory. This also struck me as a bit odd. For three people who were planning an intense hike through the wilderness, they seemed to know little about each other, and the lack of a developed relationship between these three characters made them seem shallow.

However, as the book continued, I quickly got over my indifference toward the cast of Strong Heart. Sheldon possesses an exceptional ability to craft a compelling mystery. About halfway through the book, the story shifts to the perspective of Sarah as she confesses the bizarre story behind her disappearance. This is where the novel truly began to captivate me, as I believe Sheldon does an excellent job of conveying Sarah’s voice, and I found her an empathetic character.

Overall, I am giving this book a 4 out of 4 rating. There were no significant editorial issues to interfere with my enjoyment of this book. Though I would have enjoyed delving into the backstory of some of the characters before jumping into a fast-paced plot, I believe this is more of a personal preference, and do not believe it detracted from the voice of the novel. If you are looking for a captivating adventure story with a solid cast of characters and an arduous (and mysterious) quest, this may be just the book for you!

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ashley Simon's review? Post a comment saying so!
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

You've sold me on the book. I love fast-paced adventure novels where adrenaline pumps through your veins while you're reading, and this book seems just what I was looking for. Thanks for the great review.
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

kislany wrote:You've sold me on the book. I love fast-paced adventure novels where adrenaline pumps through your veins while you're reading, and this book seems just what I was looking for. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I'm reading this at the moment, I've just got to the bit where it switches to Sarah's point of view. I'm glad to see that you say the book helps you to connect with the characters more from this point on.
A nice review :)
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:I'm reading this at the moment, I've just got to the bit where it switches to Sarah's point of view. I'm glad to see that you say the book helps you to connect with the characters more from this point on.
A nice review :)
I thought that part was great. Thanks for reading!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I like the story and I think it is full of mystery. I wanna read it and add it to my library. Thanks Ashley.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Ashley Simon

Post by Ashley Simon »

jeminah28 wrote:I like the story and I think it is full of mystery. I wanna read it and add it to my library. Thanks Ashley.
Let me know what you think when you read it!
kjoan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3033">The Lost Symbol</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjoan.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by kjoan »

Great review
I might just try reading this. Glad to know beforehand what to expect with the characters :) rather than get confused in the middle of a racing plot.
Thanks a lot.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Like you, I had a hard time connecting to Tom's character. I much preferred Sarah and William. Good review!
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I'm currently reading this book and finding it kinda tough but I think I'll have to wait patiently till I get to the fast-paced parts. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen

Post by mumoscar »

The story sounds fascinating. Been planning to read the book for long and I think it's time I got to have it read. The review is informative.
Cyril Stephano Lissu
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyril-stephano-lissu.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Cyril Stephano Lissu »

Characters' backstories would intensify my desire to pick the book. However fast-paced and fascinating features would have compensated such setback. Congratulation for great review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I read Strong Heart for the BOTM. It was an interesting read. I especially enjoyed the scenes with the character, Strong Heart.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”