Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Post by Snowflake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD is the first book in the 30th Century Trilogy. This book is both science fiction and erotic fiction. It tells the story of Captain Jennifer Hero. In the 30th century, humans are known as “Naturals”. Unfortunately, there are also “Syndos”. The Syndos are lacking a moral compass and wish to wipe out the inferior Naturals. Captain Hero’s mission is to lead trans-time teams to the 27th century to alter the development of the Syndos. Jennifer Hero belongs to the non-violent Secret Society that plans to correct the genetic code of the Syndos. They believe that once the Syndos are allowed to develop morally, they will no longer wish to wipe out the Naturals in the 30th century.

Jennifer’s partner, Zexton Ho, was a Nobel Prize winner. He created the trans-time machine that Jennifer and her team will use to go to the 27th century. Zexton was assassinated by the Syndos five years before the beginning of the book. Jennifer is burned out by a difficult life as a spy and by the loss of her partner, Zexton. After sending all the trans-time teams to the 27th century, Captain Jennifer alters her own trans-time coordinates and sends herself to the year 2015. The story centres mostly on Jennifer’s adjustment to the 21st Century.

I really enjoyed the parts of the book that involved Jennifer and her trans-time team. They were quite intense and exciting. They were also too short for my liking. A lot was packed into the last chapter. For a book with so much detail, the last chapter was surprisingly concise. I also really enjoyed Jennifer’s journey of discovery in the 21st century. She had to adjust both practically and emotionally. Jennifer had to restart her life and figure out how her past, present, and future would all work together.

I found this book to be an unusual combination of action, time travel, daily life, explicit sex, and very detailed archaeological, anthropological, and physics discussions. I will admit that I did not realize the book would qualify as erotic fiction when I chose to review it. It came as quite a surprise when the explicit sex scenes showed up, in great detail, in the second half of the book!

I felt that there was too much detail about archaeology, physics, and the sexual situations in the story. Having some information was great, but there was enough information provided for at least 4 different books. Any combination of the action, past/future adjustment, erotica, physics, and archaeology would have been fine. It was just too much to put in one book.

30th Century: Escape was an enjoyable science fiction story with interesting characters and creative ideas. I enjoyed the focus on Jennifer’s adjustment to the 21st century, but I would have preferred some more emphasis on the trans-time teams as well. I found that the detail in other areas was just too much for the story. It seemed like the book struggled to understand its own identity at times. As a result of these thoughts, I give 30th Century: Escape 3 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy time travel stories and are curious about how someone from the future might fit into the 21st century. I would also recommend this book to those who are interested in detailed discussions about the field of cosmology known as dark energy and those who are interested in the history of Polynesia. This book is definitely for mature audiences only. It includes multiple, varied, and explicit sex scenes.

30th Century: Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Snowflake's review? Post a comment saying so!
peace starts with a smile...
DianneM20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DianneM20 »

It felt like Im into a different world. There's so much to information in this book, which is really great. It makes me read more and more eaxh day. Time travel and adventure takes place everytime i sat down to my favorite couch. Definitely it's a 4 star for me.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one definitely seems to be a mixed bag. There are some that really enjoy it and some that don't. For my part, I don't think it's for me. Thanks for the lovely review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

kandscreeley wrote:This one definitely seems to be a mixed bag. There are some that really enjoy it and some that don't. For my part, I don't think it's for me. Thanks for the lovely review, though.
Thanks, kandscreeley, I did enjoy it, but the book itself was quite a mixed bag. If it was pared down a bit, I would likely give it a 4.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

So you are the one who snagged the book :) Once it was there and then it was gone! I enjoyed your review and I might possibly read it as well if it will be available again. I love sci-fi and seemingly it's not a bad book, despited its shortcomings.
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Hi kislany, yes, I guess I am the one that snagged the book! Even though it felt like it had too much info, I did really enjoy the story. Hopefully, you get a chance to read it :-)
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Since its one of the BOTMs I'll be reading this book soon. I'm not looking forward to it too much especially because I'm not interested in long explanations about the cosmos. I'll give it a read anyway.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

It's not so bad Amagine, the deep explanations are mostly well grouped for fairly easy skimming..... just saying....
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

One reviewer says that it's the story of a sex-hungry woman, and the "love scenes" are too many to count. I can only imagine how the BOTM discussions would go.

If I skim the technical explanations and the steamy stuff, will there be much left, Snowflake?
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Yes Miriam, there's still a good and interesting story in there. That's what kept me interested and why I gave it 3 stars.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I enjoy time travel stories, and this storyline does sound interesting. I'm saving it for when it is BOTM, but I do already have it downloaded to my Kindle :)
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Great! I hope you enjoy it CatInTheHat.
HILLS123
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by HILLS123 »

The book is awesome
Mariework
Currently Reading: The Wicked Wives
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mariework »

Very interesting.....
ANDREW MCFARLANE
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ANDREW MCFARLANE »

This book was quiet intresting could be a little more intreging and more fun but can be digested easily

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”