Official Review: Discovering Who You Are

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Discovering Who You Are

Post by Christina Rose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Discovering Who You Are" by Say Thu Varadewa.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Discovering Who You Are is a motivational nonfiction book that falls under the category of personal growth. Written by Say Thu Varadewa, this 52 page book was published by Partridge Publishing Singapore on April 11, 2017. Through her words, Say Thu Varadewa hopes to assist readers in discovering their purpose in life. Discovering oneself, as well as never giving up, are two of the prevalent themes found within this book.

Say Thu Varadewa was awarded her nursing diploma in 2013 while studying in Singapore. She then continued her education in the year 2015 at the University of Queensland, Australia. Helping others has always brought Ms. Varadewa great joy, even in the cases where a person was unable to return the favor. Her writing would later become another way in which she could help others.

Each day, Ms. Varadewa would take time to reflect for her own self-improvement. Reflection is a tool she brings up in her book, as well. She then began journaling about her thoughts and feelings. Because she felt that her thoughts could help those trying to find their purpose in life, she decided to turn her reflective journaling into a book that she could share with others.

It was in December of 2015 when Say Thu Varadewa decided to write this book. She was still working, and also going to school part time, so she had very limited time to put her thoughts together. Despite not having more time, she finished writing her book in November of 2016. The commitment and dedication she showed in finishing her book are both traits she wishes to highlight as being important when it comes to achieving one’s dreams.

This is a book written in dedication to those who do not want to give up in life. Through her personal experiences, the author wants to inspire those facing difficulties. In the Preface, she opens up to the reader by discussing her challenges with depression – she started to feel lonely; she was no longer interested in things she once enjoyed; healthy challenges became obstacles; and she cried often. She began implementing techniques she learned as a nurse, as well as those she learned as a Buddhist, to treat her symptoms. Her relief was only ever temporary. She knew that she would have to face her own feelings before she could help anyone else.

After the Preface, this book is divided into ten chapters. Each chapter holds an important message for the reader. These messages include, never give up; have the courage to dream; forgiveness is key; learn from your own experiences; do the right thing, not just what feels good to you; and more. The author weaves these lessons into her stories and experiences starting from those right before she began going to school abroad to become a nurse.

I really like the messages that the author is sending through her book. They really foster self reliance, hard work, and working through your mistakes rather than giving up. Life is full of challenges, and how we deal with these challenges affects the directions our lives take after each situation.

I would have liked for the author to provide a little research to back up her ideas. I understand that this book is a result of her reflective journaling, but I still think it would have been beneficial to perhaps include some psychological research or studies. Nothing huge, just enough academic backing and support to solidify the author’s ideas.

The other, and more significant, problem I had with this book was the amount of errors I encountered during my reading. They were significant enough to slow down my reading progress, as I would sometimes have to reread a sentence to be sure I had its correct meaning. Some examples of the errors follow:

The first sentence of the book reads, “Dedicated to everyone who do not wish to give up in life……….”
It should read, “Dedicated to everyone who does not wish to give up in life.” (It is also not a complete sentence, but dedications are not always written as complete sentences, so that was not a big deal to me.)

Location 20 – “Being as a nurse, I exactly knew what I had to do and I tried all those interventions.”
This would be better written, “Because I was a nurse, I knew exactly what I had to do, and I tried all of those interventions.”

Location 92 – “My mom was kept asking me if I did not get what I dreamt for what I would be going to do.”
This would sound better if written, “My mom kept asking what I would do if I did not accomplish my dreams.”

Because the errors truly disrupted the flow of the book, and because there were so many, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I read it more than once in hopes that I would find reason enough to rate this book higher, but in the end I kept it at 2 stars. Even if all an author does is hand his or her manuscript to a friend willing to proofread it for free, he or she is still taking steps to polish the work before publishing, and I feel like this is an important step in making sure we are providing our readers with the best work we can.

Discovering Who You Are
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Christina Rose's review? Post a comment saying so!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Self-help books appeal to me. From your review, this ain't a good one. I still appreciate every viewpoint regarding depression and possible treatments. Nice review.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This sounds like a well-intentioned book with a lot of meaningful material, but it's too bad about the grammatical errors. Thank you for this honest review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

juliusotinyo wrote:Self-help books appeal to me. From your review, this ain't a good one. I still appreciate every viewpoint regarding depression and possible treatments. Nice review.
It wasn't bad, but there was definite room for improvement. I think adding academic examples to back up her ideas would have helped a lot. Thank you for your thoughts!

-- 30 Sep 2017, 14:16 --
LivreAmour217 wrote:This sounds like a well-intentioned book with a lot of meaningful material, but it's too bad about the grammatical errors. Thank you for this honest review!
It was well intentioned, I agree, and very much heart-felt. The errors were very distracting, though. I would definitely read a revised edition, if the author were to put one on the market. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts!
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

From your review i didnt get much content of the book. Either the book is not well thought or you did not enjoy it. I am a big fan of motivational book and because if that i would love to read it. Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Yaone wrote:From your review i didnt get much content of the book. Either the book is not well thought or you did not enjoy it. I am a big fan of motivational book and because if that i would love to read it. Thank you for the review.
There were parts I enjoyed, like the messages she was portraying. There were also ways in which I found this book to be lacking, such as by not having enough information to back up the author's ideas.
It was also difficult to summarize due to the length of the publication. I mentioned some of the basic ideas, but didn't want to give away too much by also sharing her personal stories.
If you decide to check it out, I hope you enjoy the read. It's very personal, having been inspired by her journals, so it may be easy to connect with the author.
Thank you for taking the time to read my review, and for sharing your thoughts.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, it's too bad that there wasn't more editing done before this one was published. Still, thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

kandscreeley wrote:Well, it's too bad that there wasn't more editing done before this one was published. Still, thanks for the review.
Thank you for stopping by.
kjoan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3033">The Lost Symbol</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjoan.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kjoan »

Doesn't matter how sweet the honey in a pot, if the pot is not presented well, the honey loses it's taste.

I also feel awful whenever I read a book that has such juicy content but which is ruined by errors. :cry2:
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

kjoan wrote:Doesn't matter how sweet the honey in a pot, if the pot is not presented well, the honey loses it's taste.

I also feel awful whenever I read a book that has such juicy content but which is ruined by errors. :cry2:
Well said and very true! Thank you for your thoughts!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

If anyone needs this book, it's me. I have final exams coming up and I need all the motivation I can gather. Thank you for the honest review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Christina Rose
Currently Reading:

Post by Christina Rose »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:If anyone needs this book, it's me. I have final exams coming up and I need all the motivation I can gather. Thank you for the honest review.
I hope it motivates you! Good luck on your exams, and thank you for stopping by! :)
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen

Post by mumoscar »

I love the book already; discover yourself and never give up, facing your feelings before you decide to help others and the great messages included have hooked me up to check it out. It's so unfortunate that it's poorly edited denying it a better rating. It's again wearisome trying to reread for better understanding. Nice review.
EVANSO
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by EVANSO »

This is a nice book for self-discovery. It's however, unlucky that the author couldn't perfect the editing. Nice review.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It sounds like the book is full of quality information but the lack of editing detracts from the information. Hopefully the author will edit the book.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”