Official Review: Mending the Shattered Mirror

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Mending the Shattered Mirror

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mending the Shattered Mirror" by Analie Shepherd.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mending the Shattered Mirror by Analie Shepherd is a nonfiction book about one woman’s life experiences and the abuse she suffered while in therapy. Ana has DID, Dissociative Identity Disorder; however, her diagnosis has not prevented her from living a meaningful and satisfying life. Ana has a husband, two daughters, a successful teaching career, and a wealth of hobbies. However, when a terrible family secret comes to light, Ana finds herself in great emotional distress and seeks help through therapy. After many years in therapy, Ana comes to the realization that her therapist is not helping her as she should be. Instead, her therapist has become an abuser. Luckily, Ana reaches out to TELL, the Therapy Exploitation Link Line, for support and help with her abusive situation. This book details the relationship between Ana and her TELL responder, Laurie.

Up until the end, the narrative is told through the back and forth email exchange between Ana and her TELL responder. The use of the actual emails created a genuine connection to both Ana and Laurie. Both Ana’s and Laurie’s emails are incredibly personal. It was enjoyable to read about the evolution of the relationship between the two women, and how Laurie was able to guide Ana towards becoming a survivor. Moreover, the author’s decision to tell her story through her exchange with Laurie gives the reader an intimate look into Ana’s life and her personalities. Sometimes Ana’s ‘Others’ email Laurie, providing additional perspective about Ana’s diagnosis and her multiple personalities.

Although Ana is the focus, this book is just as much about Laurie and how she has overcome her own difficult experiences with therapy abuse. The juxtaposition between Ana’s distressed mental state and Laurie’s perspective, as a survivor looking back, helped provide hope through the many poignant and painful parts of Ana’s story. Laurie’s calm, reassuring voice gave hope that Ana would be able to overcome her emotional turmoil and learn to see the past for what it was.

Although I enjoyed reading Ana’s story, some of the emails felt repetitive and became tedious to read through. It is understandable that this is completely realistic of Ana’s struggles; recovery of any great trauma is not linear. However, this was not a book I could read through quickly; it required a lot of thought and understanding of Ana and her situation before I could move on with her story. Additionally, there are certain aspects of Ana’s story that were difficult to grasp or were mentally taxing to read about. That being said, it was an incredible experience reading about Ana’s life; I learned a lot about DID, therapy and relationships.

Mending the Shattered Mirror is an incredibly moving and encouraging story, yet it was difficult to read in places because of the progression of Ana’s story and the stressful nature of her experiences. That being my only criticism, Mending the Shattered Mirror earns 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to those interested in psychology, therapy and learning about different experiences. However, as I said, this book is mentally taxing at times, and I do feel it necessary to add a warning that some readers may find parts of this narrative triggering.

Mending the Shattered Mirror
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

This book seems interesting. Not the kind I have read before. Your review was very insightful.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that you go somewhere to get helped and end up getting abuse. That happens too often. The author is brave for coming forward in her story. Although, it may be somewhat repetitious, it sounds like a good story. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

An excellent review. I am not usually into these types of books, I have to admit, but someone who is interested in human psychology will get a lot out of it.
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Good review I just got a new medical term from this review that is DID. Quite impressive.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Taranjeet singh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Taranjeet singh »

It's good
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

I don't think I have ever seen or read a book with this particular look at therapy. In fact, it's never crossed my mind. Now that I think about it, it's a field wide open for opportunity to abuse. Thanks for your review - it gave me a good idea of what to look forward to.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thanks for the great review! This book sounds very interesting. It saddens me that a therapist who was supposed to be helping her ends up betraying that trust. I hope this book helps others that are also in this situation seek help.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
DC_Onwe
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by DC_Onwe »

Wow that's exaxtly why I have a great affinity with nonfiction books...it practically helps you figure out a part of your life, it reminds me of the practice in Japan of mending broken items with gold signifying how special our battle scars are, i have so many books to read this is certainly one...Lord give me the strength
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

The book covers a very different kind of plot. Nice review!
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Natasha Rachael
Currently Reading: Mona Lisa's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Natasha Rachael »

The review is interesting, a real life story with such kind of trauma, too bad that the people who are supposed to be helping were making the situation of such "sick person" worse. I hope and wish that those in that field, "the therapist" may have an opportunity to read this book and learn one or two things from the abuse that those in their field offer to our patients. Great review, want to have an experience of this book.
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Thanks for the review. It seems like an interesting story. Never read it before.
Mercy85
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 218728">Do we know why we believe what we believe</a>
Currently Reading: Lara's Journal
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: Tecnow2

Post by Mercy85 »

Good book I like it thanks for the review
The Irmuun
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by The Irmuun »

That's exactly what I thought when I finished reading Mending the Shattered Mirror: A Journey of Recovery from Abuse in Therapy.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

This book covers a peculiar plot. Imagine those whom we are supposed to seek counsel from ending up abusing us instead of protecting us. Not my kind of book but from your review it seems an interesting read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”