Official Review: Monkey Business by Lois Schmitt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Official Review: Monkey Business by Lois Schmitt

Post by Reuben 92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Monkey Business" by Lois Schmitt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Monkey Business by Lois Schmitt is a mystery novel with an unusual setting: Rocky Cove Zoo, Long Island. When teacher-turned-journalist Kristy Farrell lands the chance to impress her editor with a feature on breeding endangered animals, she doesn't expect to stumble across a dead body on her first day of research. What is worse, all of the initial suspicion lands squarely on the shoulders of her brother, Tim, who is the resident director of herpetology at the zoo. After being questioned by a pair of comically named detectives (Wolfe and Fox), plucky Kristy immediately sets out on her twofold mission of clearing her brother's name and securing a permanent job with Animal Advocate magazine.

Kristy narrows down the suspect list to five individuals, none of which have airtight alibis. However, the further she probes, the more the evidence seems to stack up against Tim. When a further murder is committed, the stakes are raised, and Kristy finds herself up against the clock if she is to save her brother and write a captivating article. She is aided by her husband, Matt, a veterinary surgeon, and her daughter, Abby, who is also a vet. With their help - but due mostly to her persistence and indomitable curiosity - Kristy rapidly works her way towards a solution.

Monkey Business was a fairly straightforward example of the genre, with the usual red herrings and false trails; but what set it apart was its strong focus on animals. Throughout the novel, Schmitt weaves in some shocking facts about animal smuggling and mistreatment, and in the author biography at the end of the book we learn that animal welfare is extremely important to her. I found it fascinating to learn about breeding endangered animals, and about the seedy underworld of illegal animal auctions and drug smuggling. Kristy's pets - two dogs and a cat - are indispensable and lovable characters in the novel, too, always there to comfort her at the end of a discouraging day!

Kristy herself is an immediately likeable protagonist: she is self-deprecating but driven, and her comments are frequently humourous. The other characters are well-drawn, considering the large number of them and the brevity of the book. The novel is very fast-paced, and short enough to read in one sitting - if you are so inclined! The mystery element is well-plotted and controlled, and Schmitt writes in an accessible style. One negative would be the occasionally clunky dialogue, which contained unlikely exposition and detail. In addition, the "villains" of the piece were sketched in an exaggerated and improbable light during the final reveal.

I found two typos, and one instance where the word "conscience" was used where it should have been "conscious". The mistakes were all fairly glaring to me, but as there were only three it was not a huge issue. On balance, Monkey Business is an entertaining light read, with a well-sustained ambience of suspense. I felt that Schmitt had a great grip on the plot and characters, and Kristy was an especially congenial character. Furthermore, the atypical setting and the inclusion of educational facts about endangered and rare animals really helped to give this book an edge. It is the perfect novel for mystery aficionados, animal lovers and for those looking for a quick and pleasurable read. I would rate Lois Schmitt's Monkey Business a solid 3 out of 4 stars.

Monkey Business
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Reuben 92's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like an enjoyable mystery to me. I love the addition of the animals as well. Sounds like I should check it out.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rizwana Noor
Currently Reading: A Business of your own
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Rizwana Noor »

Reuben has beautifully reviewed and by stating in the beginning of paragraph that, Kristy is on a two-fold mission, securing her job and clearing her brother's name from the allegation of a murder, fires the curosity in heart. So the book seems to be very mysterious and interesting and it surely demonstrates the monkey business Lois Schmitt is no doubt a great writer.
I recommend to read this book as Reuben has revealed the hidden interest of the book in his precise review.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Great review. I love both mysteries and animals, so this should be an interesting combination to read.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks kandscreeley, Rizwana Noor, and kislany for taking the time to read and comment! If you do get round to reading the book, let me know as I'd love to chat about it :)
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

If I'm looking for a quick read, I will be checking this out. Sometimes I just need something quick and this genre is one of my favorites. You did a good job of describing the pros and cons of this book. Thanks.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks Zelinda for your comment - yes you can power through this one in just a few hours.
Proust
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I LOVE mystery novels and the added element of all those animals def makes this one a must-read for me. Thanks for the introduction!
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thank MsTri, I really hope you enjoy it :)
Proust
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Cool twist in the setting. Thanks for the review!
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

You're very welcome RegularGuy3! :)
Proust
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This sounds like a great rainy weekend book. I look forward to finding out who the killer is. Thanks for the great review! Definitely adding this one to my bookshelf.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

You are very welcome Elle Howard. Enjoy!
Proust
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I like to read on "seedy underworlds", as always, excellent job with the review, Reuben.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reuben 92

Post by Reuben 92 »

Thanks geoffrey :)
Proust

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”