Official Review: Western Long Boxing

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: Western Long Boxing

Post by rssllue »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Western Long Boxing" by Prof. Gurjot K. Singh.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever since watching old Kung Fu movies late at night in my youth, I have had a fascination with the martial arts which made it an easy decision for me to choose to review Western Long Boxing: The Tao of Ten Gated Changes by Professor Gurjot K. Singh when the opportunity arose. I was expecting a primer into the unfamiliar discipline of Western Long Boxing, but this book is so much more in-depth than I could have imagined.

Of course, the book has many things about learning the techniques used and training methods for understanding and executing the art, but that is really just the beginning. Mr. Singh takes the reader to a much deeper level immersing one in the history and evolution of what is now known as Western Long Boxing. He teaches about the origins of the art and the individuals who learned, shaped, adapted and taught it throughout its existence ultimately leading up to his current practice of it as well. This telling of its history really set the stage for all that was to come in the functionality portion of the book and made for a real interesting read.

The book delves into an all-aspect approach to learning this discipline. Mr. Singh goes through a lot of training information that touches every part of the practitioner’s life to improve at and attempt to master the skills presented. This is definitely not a part-time undertaking to become an adept at this practice. The dedication level for the work that needs to be put into this art is really quite staggering. Mr. Singh mentions many times throughout the book the principle of 10,000 (hours, sessions, etc.) that are needed to become a master at an endeavor. Taking up this discipline will assuredly create a new lifestyle if one hopes to master it.

Interestingly, throughout the entire book, Mr. Singh has many video clips that are linked to YouTube where he shows demonstrations of the vast amount of techniques that he describes in its pages. Many of these are combat techniques like one would expect in this type of book, but there are so many more as well. Training methods, conditioning, sparring sessions, discussions and more are to be found in these supplemental videos. They really helped to bring the written word alive for the reader to see what was being talked about.

In all openness, I have to say that after I finished reading the book and watching the videos, I was really unsure of where to begin telling the reader about this book. It is just packed with such a wide scope of information that I had a difficult time trying to condense all of it down into this review to where it still did the the author justice. Reading his words and watching him in the various YouTube videos showed the obvious passion that he has towards Western Long Boxing and the martial arts in general. And though the read was difficult in spots, where there was a lot of unfamiliar terminology as well as technical data shared, Mr. Singh's aforementioned passion made the overall tenor of the book one of excitement and overflowing energy. This is a pretty rare thing for a lot of nonfiction books in my experience.

One problem that I had with the book was the formatting that made it really difficult to read on my Nook. When opened, it showed six way-too-small-to-read pages that I had to enlarge just to make out any of the words on each page. And even then, it was still a little irritating as I had to then manually scroll to the right to “turn” the page and then every two pages I had to scroll diagonally to the lower left to get to the next page in the book. It really made it a bothersome read because of this formatting issue. Another negative aspect of the book was that it had quite a few grammatical errors throughout its entirety and a good round of editing would really be a great help in this area. There are also a few swear words in the text for those who would take issue with that.

In summary, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The positives definitely outweigh the negatives brought up above. If you are somebody who wants to learn more about the martial arts, especially the Western Long Boxing discipline then this would be an excellent book for you to go get and read and reread over again. I also believe that much could be gleaned from it for a current practitioner of the martial arts as well. Mr. Singh has no doubt written a very passionate and technical offering with this book.

Western Long Boxing
View: on Bookshelves

Like rssllue's review? Post a comment saying so!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I can't say that I've ever read a book that is about a discipline like this. But based on your review it might be worth a shot. Thanks!
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

Nice review.
Now I know which book to read if I ever want to learn martial arts.
Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds quite interesting. I'm just not sure I could learn enough by reading a book and watching videos. It might be interesting just as a spectator, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

I love watching Kung fu movies but I wouldn't want to read a book about martial arts. Great review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

I will probably never read this book, but I was impressed with two things: 1) the enthusiasm of Professor Singh's presentation and 2) the persistence of the reviewer in plowing through pages that were poorly formatted. I have started books that I was really interested in, but couldn't get past the obstacles of the formatting. Or wouldn't. Kudo's to you, rssllue.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thanks for the great review! I am not sure I would read this to learn how to actually do martial arts. I would probably read it just for the video demonstrations and for background information.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you all for the feedback on the review. It is greatly appreciated!

I hope all that read the book enjoy the journey that it takes the reader on.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Great review though I doubt it is possible to learn martial arts by reading the book. Great work altogether
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thank you for the feedback! It is appreciated!

Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

It sounds like an interesting book to read. Thanks for the review.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

It is most definitely interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Great review. I wonder how many types of martial arts are there? And who decides what to call what? But all the same, the book's is worth the read.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

You bring up some interesting questions that I had never really thought about.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I find enthralling the cunning idea of this author to write a book and to show what he's talking about by sending the reader to watch the supplemental videos at youtube. Excellent method of 'show don't tell'. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”