Official Review: Heaven Hell and Magical Soup

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Heaven Hell and Magical Soup

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heaven Hell and Magical Soup" by Joseph R Williams.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heaven, Hell and Magical Soup: A Tapestry of Words & Songs by Joe Williams is a unique collection of poetry woven together by various themes. The author tells his story through ‘ragmen.’ These ragmen are representative of various icons and emotions. For example, there is a ragman named Petty, and another named Buddha; some others are named Joyous, Christ, and Angry. These ragmen use ‘rags,’ or poetry, to discuss various emotions, religious beliefs, current events, and more. The author performs these poems as songs but has chosen to capture them in written word for all to experience.

The messages emphasized throughout this work may not be unique; however, the author’s use of clever poetic devices enhanced the work and made his words standout. The author consistently uses homophones to stress a point. Namely, the definition of the characters as ragmen. This title suggests an implicit image of those less fortunate; however, their name is also descriptive of the enlightening and thought-provoking rags, or stories, poems, etc. that each ragman (and one ragwoman) imparts on the reader. Though some rags were more successful in conveying the author’s message than others, the overall story the author weaves is encouraging.

Unfortunately, there were some detractors to the author’s message. The formatting in Heaven, Hell and Magical Soup is quite lacking. First off, the table of contents does not include page numbers for each poem listed. To find a specific poem one has to scroll through the book in hopes of stopping on the correct page. Additionally, it was difficult to tell when the narration stopped and a rag began. The titles of the poems are not highlighted in anyway; many times poems start in the middle of a page, and, typically, there wasn’t even an additional space to separate the poem's title from the paragraph above it or from the poem starting below it. Occasionally, titles appeared in all caps, but this was rare. Further, there are quite a few random line breaks in the middle of a sentence in the narration (not the poetry) which made reading confusing in places.

In addition to the inefficient formatting, there were a few grammatical errors that gave me pause. For example, in one instance, a ragman’s attire is described as ‘rough and course;’ clearly the word ‘coarse’ was intended. Another instance is when ‘ore’ is used as an abbreviation of ‘over’ in place of ‘o’re.’ Without the apostrophe to indicate the shortened version of ‘over’ this word has a completely different meaning and gives the poetry an amateurish appearance.

Though the premise of Heaven, Hell and Magical Soup was unique and the overall message the author touts was engaging at times, the poor formatting significantly distracted from my reading enjoyment. Clearer organization and additional proofreading would improve the clarity of this work. In its current state, I rate Heaven, Hell and Magical Soup 2 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy poetry and are looking for something a little unusual may find merit in this work; however, if you aren’t impressed by poetry or are a stickler for straightforward formatting, this one may not be for you.

Heaven Hell and Magical Soup
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

I love the title of the book,so catchy.Thanks for the great review Marisa.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

It sounds like this book could be perfect with the right formatting. This type of books needs to be thoroughly formatted. Otherwise, it gets very distracting and unpleasant to the reader.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>

Post by MarisaRose »

0719672189 wrote:I love the title of the book,so catchy.Thanks for the great review Marisa.
The title was what initially drew me to this one! Thanks for commenting :)

-- 19 Sep 2017, 06:54 --
Sabina G wrote:It sounds like this book could be perfect with the right formatting. This type of books needs to be thoroughly formatted. Otherwise, it gets very distracting and unpleasant to the reader.
When it comes to poetry, formatting can be just as important as the written words. Many times the formatting effects the flow and tempo of the writing, so it can quickly become off putting!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely does sound like an interesting premise. It's too bad it wasn't executed well. Hopefully they'll be another edition that will make some changes. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

Ok, good review. I'm wondering if the author didn't do all the grammatical/typo stuff on purpose. Like, to goof on us? I don't know, but it just seemedtoo bizarre. One minor question - the "over" thing. Is it not "oer"? Or is it "o'er"? I'm in a twist o'er this.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
MarisaRose

Post by MarisaRose »

Zelinda wrote:Ok, good review. I'm wondering if the author didn't do all the grammatical/typo stuff on purpose. Like, to goof on us? I don't know, but it just seemedtoo bizarre. One minor question - the "over" thing. Is it not "oer"? Or is it "o'er"? I'm in a twist o'er this.
Interesting perspective - but I think they errors were unintentional. If it was meant as a 'goof' they would occur more often and have some type of hidden meaning the reader would be able to discern. Thanks for commenting.

-- 19 Sep 2017, 19:00 --
kandscreeley wrote:It definitely does sound like an interesting premise. It's too bad it wasn't executed well. Hopefully they'll be another edition that will make some changes. Thanks!
Thanks for reading! I also hope another edition is published - I think the author has an interesting tale/perspective and it would be great to read in a better organized narrative :)
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Well-written review. But poetry is not really my scene, so I am gonna give this book a pass.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

The concept certainly catches my attention, so it's too bad about the formatting. These formatting variations, based on your review, don't seem to be a stylistic choice, and so they may bother me too much for me to enjoy the writing. Hopefully a revised version with improved formatting and proofreading will surface soon. In the meantime, I'll probably pass on this. Thank you for the insightful and detailed review, Marisa. It really helps.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

A good review. The book has potential, just some effort on the editing needed.
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

I think I'll read it after the second editing, it sounds promising. Thanks for the good review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
wisecorper55
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wisecorper55 »

Nice one.... I really love this book
chrismary
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chrismary »

Once you see the topic you will be moved to read it, the topic is adorable so try that the next one will be better. Thanks
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Well written review... The title of the book makes me wish I had a copy.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

Hail the poets! I really love poetry therefore am glad I can try out this book.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”