Review by Abayomi2060 -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Abayomi2060 -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Abayomi2060 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Veterans Day is a thrilling murder mystery written by J.J Jorgens, the first of the Mary Jane Morris mysteries. Set in Washington D.C, the author takes you through 262 pages of a well-written and thought-provoking plot. The book portrays betrayal, greed, death, love, friendship, etc. It is written purely in first person from the perspective of Mary Jane, the clever and attractive detective.

A call from her ex-partner and a desperate cry for help leaves Mary Jane rushing on the railway line to David McHale’s office. On getting there, she finds David’s body slumped on a chair, a bullet hole in the back of his head. The police are called in and a verdict of suicide is given but Mary wasn’t satisfied. Later, she discovers a message left for her and follows it to find some photos and $20,000 in cash at a lighthouse. With the help of her boyfriend, a naval strategist, a reporter for the daily news and the head of a shelter for homeless vets, she investigates the death of David McHale.

The book is generally fast-paced and action-packed. The main character is forged in such a way that I was connected to her from the first chapter of the book. I was kept on the edge of my seat from the beginning of the book due to the author’s deft writing style. Although I got bored at some point in the middle of the book, it wasn’t long before I was back on the edge-of-the-seat suspense. I particularly enjoyed the writer’s way of introducing twists in the story.

The author chipped in some historical facts in the plot which I enjoyed at first, but I later got tired of as I am neither American nor do I live in Washington D.C. Even though I found Mary Jane an amazing character with sharp instincts, she lacked method and that innate confidence found in great characters like Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, etc. Unlike most murder mystery novels that keep you guessing until the murderer is revealed, Veterans Day had no such effect but it was still enjoyable and intriguing.

For a realistic plot and wonderful characterization, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Although I found about three errors while reading, I really enjoyed the book. I recommend this book to murder mystery lovers and Americans dwelling in Washington who wouldn’t mind some history lessons.

Veterans Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Abayomi2060's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

Wow. I'm definitely adding this to my list of books I intend to read.
What did she do with the stashed away money? But something tells me his death was connected with the money anyway.
Nicely written review Abayomi. I enjoyed reading it. Keep writing please
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Preciosonic
Currently Reading: Before I Wake
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Preciosonic »

I like romance books but my heart belongs to suspense books,it keeps at the edge of your chair thinking of what will happen next,it's nice when you can't predict the book.This book sounds like one Preciosonic will love,though I face challenges like you not being American but it makes me wish,such system of investigation can be brought to Nigeria, but any ways Thumbs up?,I am proud of the fact that this review was written by a fellow Nigerian, Thanks.
Better is not good enough but the best is yet to come. Let Love Lead.
By Prophet T.B.Joshua
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Preciosonic wrote:I like romance books but my heart belongs to suspense books,it keeps at the edge of your chair thinking of what will happen next,it's nice when you can't predict the book.This book sounds like one Preciosonic will love,though I face challenges like you not being American but it makes me wish,such system of investigation can be brought to Nigeria, but any ways Thumbs up?,I am proud of the fact that this review was written by a fellow Nigerian, Thanks.
Right on all counts. It was a well written review
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Ayosinmi wrote:Wow. I'm definitely adding this to my list of books I intend to read.
What did she do with the stashed away money? But something tells me his death was connected with the money anyway.
Nicely written review Abayomi. I enjoyed reading it. Keep writing please
Yeah, the money is connected it a way. Thanks reading and commenting on my review.

-- 20 Sep 2017, 01:31 --
Preciosonic wrote:I like romance books but my heart belongs to suspense books,it keeps at the edge of your chair thinking of what will happen next,it's nice when you can't predict the book.This book sounds like one Preciosonic will love,though I face challenges like you not being American but it makes me wish,such system of investigation can be brought to Nigeria, but any ways Thumbs up?,I am proud of the fact that this review was written by a fellow Nigerian, Thanks.
I assure you, the book is interesting. Thanks for reading and commenting on my review
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

You are welcome dear.
Now you're going to also keep me on the edge of my seat? ?
Just kidding. I will have to pick up the book and read it.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Ayosinmi wrote:You are welcome dear.
Hahaha, you got me there. Hope you enjoy it though
Preciosonic

Post by Preciosonic »

To Abayomi-Any time

To Abayomi and Ayosinmi-Did you guys download KU app inorder to read the books, because I have been trying to download the app to enable me read books on OBC but unfortunately I haven't been successful, need your help!
By Prophet T.B.Joshua
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Preciosonic wrote:To Abayomi-Any time

To Abayomi and Ayosinmi-Did you guys download KU app inorder to read the books, because I have been trying to download the app to enable me read books on OBC but unfortunately I haven't been successful, need your help!
No. I download EPUB or PDF versions
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Abayomi2060 wrote:
Ayosinmi wrote:You are welcome dear.
Hahaha, you got me there. Hope you enjoy it though
:P going by your review, I will definitely enjoy it, the only enemy is the time. Lol

-- 20 Sep 2017, 01:52 --
Preciosonic wrote:To Abayomi-Any time

Free KU isn't available for our dear country, so we read what we review until a miracle happens. ?
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Preciosonic

Post by Preciosonic »

oh,I see,I thought as much,thanks for the enlightenment,you guys.

Least I forget, I compliment you Abayomi for reading novels, here in Edo state, I haven't come across a guy that reads novels, I don't know about there in Lagos but you should be the first I know.Well done once more
By Prophet T.B.Joshua
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Hmmmmmmm.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Preciosonic wrote:oh,I see,I thought as much,thanks for the enlightenment,you guys.

Least I forget, I compliment you Abayomi for reading novels, here in Edo state, I haven't come across a guy that reads novels, I don't know about there in Lagos but you should be the first I know.Well done once more
Thanks again precious
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I like the synopsis and review, Abayomi2060, I guess you'll rarely find a book that doesn't bore you at one or two points.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Ayosinmi

Post by Ayosinmi »

Geoffrey my friend. It's nice having you here.
I have a review loading. Hopefully, it would be out soon.
Meanwhile, Abayomi is my brother, please accord him the same treatment as me.
Thanks and hugs
Voltaire, 1694-1778

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”