Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Karen0823
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen0823.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Karen0823 »

I wasn't always a reader. I was a rather late bloomer and didn't start until my early 30's. I hate that I missed out on so many valuable years of being whisked away by a good story. Life can be tough sometimes and losing yourself in a good book sure beats turning to alcohol or drugs for escapism. Instead of destroying brain cells, you can build them. Win, win!
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
AmandaMac
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandamac.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by AmandaMac »

I started reading because I was bored. We didn't have cell phones or even cable. Books became an escape for me. While reading I have traveled to the past to be kidnapped by Indians, or even became a debutante trying to find love in London. Books are just great and I personally don't understand why some people don't like reading.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Orang-U-Can
Currently Reading: Encephlatron
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Orang-U-Can »

Simply for entertainment
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

For distraction mostly
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
charlene0128
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by charlene0128 »

I love to read Books and magazine
bookportal
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookportal.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by bookportal »

The saying: 'You Only Live Once' is a sad limitation that doesn't have to apply to me. Why? Because, through the pages of a book I'm allowed to live multiple lives. Reading really is a portal to other worlds where I can explore life as many different personalities. What's not to love about that!
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
CheanneL
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheannel.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by CheanneL »

I love reading because when I stick my nose in a book I'm transported to a different place. It's relaxing, exciting, interesting, silly, infuriating and overall, just really awesome. I don't just read story books, I read self-help books, books that teach skills, I read to do research. The world is at my feet so to speak. It's almost hard to get my head around how some people don't like reading. I figure they just didn't find the right book yet!
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Anything which tickles my mind and is inspirational
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

cityofsouls
Currently Reading: Narnia
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by cityofsouls »

Our world has become corrupt by all the politics and by some human beings. Our world is just way too real, traveling has become so expensive that one can not explore, people are quite judgmental so you try to avoid as much socializing, we have been taught that magic isn't real, and that you have to limit your self for whats in front of you.

That's where books come into the equation, almost three quarters of the world views books as a set of paper and when they read (which is close to never they can't seem to sink under the surface. To me , a book is a sea sometimes its a small sea some other times its an ocean, and for you to love the water you have to know how to sink deep and then come back to the surface. So when you read a book first u start from the cover (chore) then you start getting deeper and deeper and when you reach the bottom of the sea you start swimming up until you are in the clear thus finishing the book,all the time having the best time of your life in something that is only yore,s place you built alone and loved alone .

So I read to travel the world and beyond the galaxy, I read to meet people that understand me and people who will not judge me, I meet ships along the sea and pray they never sink. Its my escape and my reality, my deepest regret is I can never stay under water because everything that gets wet, shatters apart.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

It's a good habit to have and it increases your vocabulary as well as general knowledge. It gives you topics to discuss in your daily life.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Palfree
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Holly and Homiicide
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palfree.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low

Post by Palfree »

I like reading because I can be transported to a different time and place without leaving home. For me my day isn't complete until I have spent some time reading. It is my stress reliever. :techie-studyingbrown:
walter7
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter7.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by walter7 »

I find reading as fan because I find peace when I am reading.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
peterparker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by peterparker »

When I am read the book. Then I got some useful information. This information is helping me to be a successful person
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I like reading because a good author can make you feel like you are going through the journey with the characters. I have been so many places in my mind through reading that I will probably never really be able to go.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

Like many others have stated, reading is the perfect way to escape and experience a variety of different places and times. I love seeing things and experiencing life from so many different perspectives.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”