Official Review: It's Complicated by Izzie Bebe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: It's Complicated by Izzie Bebe

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Complicated" by Izzie Bebe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It would be difficult to find a more appropriate title for Izzie Bebe’s memoir. Just as the title implies, It’s Complicated: A Love Story and Memoir is a complex, reflective look at Izzie’s own life and the triumphs and mistakes that have brought her to the present. This memoir focuses on Izzie’s experiences starting from the adoption of her first child, Vianne. In the beginning, we are introduced to Vianne’s eccentric personality and come to find out she is expecting her first child. Due to various conditions, Vianne is unable to properly mother a child. Ready for retirement, Izzie is unsure if she can revisit the adoption process all over again. Love, laughter, tears and unexpected changes are all at the forefront of this incredibly personal memoir.

Izzie Bebe has a wonderful way with words. The memoir's prose is raw and emotive, and the choice of the narrative perspective added an additional dimension to Izzie’s story. Told in the first person, Izzie's present-self narrator looks back on the past. The perspective style significantly added to the dramatization of events and exemplified realistic growth because of the addition of Izzie's self-reflection. Izzie’s words unfold through musings on her past self, much like the resolute, sometimes unapologetic feelings we have all had when reflecting on past actions and feelings, making Izzie's words that much more relatable. I appreciated the honest, naked exposure the author provided of her life. This aspect created a unique connection between author and reader; by the end of the book, I felt like Izzie was a long lost friend.

Not only was the prose masterfully conveyed, the organization of the memoir was successful as well. The memoir touches on various aspects of Izzie’s family life, marriage, and career over the years, but the story of Vianne and the birth of her micro preemie son, Von, are the backdrop upon which all other stories are set. The use of an extended plot arc was a smart choice that helped build interest in Izzie’s life as well as anticipation about the outcome of key characters. Further, each anecdote, aside, or other description of the past was skillfully woven through the main plot arc, ensuring each came across as important and meaningful; no story felt randomly placed.

Overall, the author is most successful at telling a story. If this wasn’t marketed as a memoir, it could easily be perceived as a fictional, yet powerful, study of the human condition. Unfortunately, there were a few obvious typos throughout the text, like ‘nap of my neck’ and ‘amble bosom,’ that were somewhat distracting. A thorough round of editing would really bring Izzie’s memoir to the next level.

It’s Complicated is, by far, the most engaging and heartwarming memoir I’ve read in a long while. The author’s ability to gracefully connect her personal thoughts, emotions and experiences with the reader is nothing short of endearing. Although there were some editorial flaws, I was so drawn to Izzie’s words and her masterful use of language that I cannot rate It’s Complicated less than 4 out of 4 stars. Readers who enjoy raw, emotional, real-life accounts will quickly fall in love with Izzie’s narration in It’s Complicated.

It's Complicated
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

Thanks for your review. This memoir sounds very interesting. It would be really nice to correct the editorial mistakes so as to make this book somehow perfect.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a really great book. Memoirs can go either way. They can be profound, powerful and wonderful... Or they can be a big flop. I'm glad this was the former! Thanks for another good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

It really is complicated,i would definitely read this book.Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Great review! It is clear from the review that you enjoyed the book immensely.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

When I read in your review that the book was non-fiction, my interest waned. And yet, from what you say, this reads like fiction. Perhaps reading this book may help me get over my bias that non-fiction is non-interesting.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Murmuring Letters
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-murmuring-letters.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by Murmuring Letters »

Thank you for your review, I really liked how you described the writing style and the form of the book separately, without giving away too much of the content. For me it is really important that I like the style in which the book is written and I admire writers who have a distinctive writing style. It's a very important part of a book but at the same time hard to describe it as a reader. You did a really good job on that and I applaude you for that!
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

I'm adding this one to my to be read list - any memoir that is thoughtful & reflective is right up my alley. Thanks for a great review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

Marisa, you have such a great writing style. This is such a beautiful and informative review that i am going to tweet it. Keep up the good work!
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

I rate it 4 out of 4. Thanks for the review. This is an interesting book.
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

I enjoyed your review. I like to read memoir and this certainly looks like a good choice. I'll have to give it a read when I get caight up!
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
The Irmuun
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by The Irmuun »

Tough read with an unlike, a supposedly alpha H although I didn't get that. The h was emotionally stunted which made for a boring, disinterested read.
kdawes17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kdawes17 »

When you read this story its very heartwarming you can't help but reach for a tissue .

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”