Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
elderwand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 565

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by elderwand »

I like paperback because it's easier to hold, and it's also a lot less expensive than hardcover.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

Paperback because they are easier to handle for someone like me who reads from any sitting position.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

At this point in time, with a small house at the back of a garage, ebook is the only way to go. But if I have to have a physical book, I like the oversized paperbacks. Easier to read and handle. But if it is a book I'm going to keep "Forever and Ever"? Definitely hardback. LOL
Ash and Stars
Bookshelf Size: 640
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-and-stars.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by Ash and Stars »

I love hardback books, just it's a shame they're often much more expensive. I like that the spine does not crack in a hardback book compared to the paperback. However, it is much easier to bring along a paperback when I am going somewhere :)
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

A billion times paperback. I usually read while in bed. The hardcovers are more difficult to get into the right reading position and if I fall asleep will poke me at some point in the night.
Charissa C
Currently Reading: Yes, Chef
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Charissa C »

I prefer paperback for new books or authors that I've never heard of before. I can't imagine dropping a lot of money on a book I'm not sure I'll like. So, Hardback is reserved for books I enjoy the most because they last longer.

I must admit that I hate the dust jackets on hardback books and I always take them off and lose them.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I like paperback. Hardcover books have a nice feel to them and are less likely to wear down, but they are also heavier to carry around. I walk around a lot and prefer to have a lighter load to carry.

-- 05 Sep 2017, 14:25 --

I like paperback. Hardcover books have a nice feel to them and are less likely to wear down, but they are also heavier to carry around. I walk around a lot and prefer to have a lighter load to carry.
Jan Moraa Onsomu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9266">Kite Runner</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan-moraa-onsomu.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jan Moraa Onsomu »

Hard cover does it for me!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Selvin
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selvin.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Selvin »

Why not both? I believe both have their pros and cons. In looks, for me, the hardcover ones look better most of the times, they have a better feeling of a ''book'', also the hardcover is able to protect the book better and that is big plus, but sometimes that thicker layer can make the book a bit too heavy to carry around. Then we have the paperback, which are really compact and of course - cheaper, which is a good opportunity for people who may not want to spend so much, they can also have really awesome pictures/arts on them which makes them perfect in their own way.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

Used to be softcover, just because it's easier and lighter to hold and read. But now I am pretty much an eReader - prefer Whisper, then Kindle for iPhone, then Kindle for PC, then Kindle Cloud reader. Just love the ease of use and ability to search when something needs clarification, plus being able to take notes.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

I cannot pick. I like to try both. When I get tired of paperback I read hardcover books, and viceversa :)
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Both! Hardcovers are so regal and paperbacks are easier to carry. I love 'em both! Don't make me choose, please... :shifty:
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Tsundoku-san
Currently Reading: Ilustrado
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Tsundoku-san »

I like them both...but if I stumble upon a cheap hardcover I would buy it right away. I think I do more love hardcover ones. LOL
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

juniper9 wrote:I buy mostly paperbacks cause they are cheaper, but I prefer hardbacks.
Me too. Hardbacks get really expensive, even though they give off the best feels.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin

Post by Emie Cuevas »

If I'm reading an actual book I prefer hardback. However, since I got my Kindle I very rarely read an actual paper book, much preferring the ease of reading the electronic ones.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”