Official Review: Essence of Neverland by Juna Jinsei

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Official Review: Essence of Neverland by Juna Jinsei

Post by LivreAmour217 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Essence of Neverland" by Juna Jinsei.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Juna Jinsei's Essence of Neverland takes the reader on a journey back into the world of J. M. Barrie's beloved Peter Pan stories. In this rendition of the timeless children's classic, Peter Pan has met his demise and Neverland is in peril. To save this magical world, the guardian spirit of Neverland dispatches Tinkerbell and her fairy friends into the real world to find a child worthy of becoming the new Pan. Four children--Kuthanda, Rakana, Dobrata, and Khwan Glaohan--are given the task to unite the various peoples of Neverland against a destructive force. With the help of fairy magic and a host of new friends, can the four children save Neverland from doom?

Essence of Neverland is a unique take on the beloved story that blends familiar elements of Peter Pan with new ideas that work quite well within the parameters of Barrie's tale. There are plenty of surprises as the plot unfolds, but everything ties together seamlessly with the original story. The author also does an excellent job of developing the personalities and backstories of both familiar and new characters, and does this especially well with some of the iconic characters from the original.

In addition to providing an entertaining fantasy story, Essence of Neverland contains meaningful lessons for children and adolescents. The book emphasizes the importance of learning to work with others, along with the healing power of forgiveness and the possibility of redemption. The four children also display positive attitudes in the face of hardship and a willingness to see the good in everyone and every situation. Kuthanda, Dobrata, Rakana, and Khwan Glaohan are excellent role models, and the cultural diversity among the protagonists ensures that a majority of readers will be able to find a character with whom they can relate.

As wonderful as this story is, there is some room for improvement regarding the writing quality. The writing is by no means bad, but I did notice small errors throughout the book, mostly in the form of homonym mix-ups (pedal/petal, shutter/shudder, etc). There are also some parts of the book that feel unnecessarily lengthy, which may be distracting for some readers.

Writing errors aside, Essence of Neverland is a take a wonderful take on the Peter Pan story, and I give it 3 out of 4 stars. If not for the errors, I would have awarded it four. I would recommend this book to readers aged 11 and older, although it would be an excellent read-aloud choice for younger children as well.

Essence of Neverland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LivreAmour217's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I love Peter Pan both as a kid and as an adult, I keep watching reruns of the latest film. Your review was a delight to read.
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

juliusotinyo wrote:I love Peter Pan both as a kid and as an adult, I keep watching reruns of the latest film. Your review was a delight to read.
Thank you very much! I think that you would enjoy this book!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There are a number of spin offs of Peter pan. This sounds like an interesting one. Thanks for another lovely review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

kandscreeley wrote:There are a number of spin offs of Peter pan. This sounds like an interesting one. Thanks for another lovely review!
And thank you for your kind words! This book is indeed a unique take on an old favorite.
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

Peter Pan is one of my favourite childhood stories. I think I would like this book pretty much.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

walkingfreckle wrote:Peter Pan is one of my favourite childhood stories. I think I would like this book pretty much.
Peter Pan is an old favorite of mine, too! I hope that you get to read this one!
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I love the Tinkerbell stories that Disney has made into movies so this seems to be right up my street. It's a shame that they decided to kill off Pan in this version, I would have preferred for the story to be about him needing help and recruiting the four children to help, but I didn't write it. I have however read it, and if I have another kid I'll consider reading it to him/her too.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html

Post by GPM »

I remember Peter Pan as a good story for young children. I think this will also be a good one due to the good examples that was demonstrated.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I have always enjoyed the Peter Pan and Tinkerbell series. This being one with both would be an interesting read. Thanks for your enjoyable review.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I liked Peter Pan well enough, but it wasn't my favorite growing up. This take on the classic tale does seem interesting, though. I am curious as to why Peter was not able to live forever as a boy. It's great that the author seemed to put together a well-round and creative tale. Too bad about the grammar and writing mix-ups, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
LivreAmour217
Currently Reading:

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Emie Cuevas wrote:I love the Tinkerbell stories that Disney has made into movies so this seems to be right up my street. It's a shame that they decided to kill off Pan in this version, I would have preferred for the story to be about him needing help and recruiting the four children to help, but I didn't write it. I have however read it, and if I have another kid I'll consider reading it to him/her too.
I was a little taken aback by Peter's death too, but overall I really liked this book. Thank you for reading my review!

-- 18 Sep 2017, 14:35 --
hsimone wrote:I liked Peter Pan well enough, but it wasn't my favorite growing up. This take on the classic tale does seem interesting, though. I am curious as to why Peter was not able to live forever as a boy. It's great that the author seemed to put together a well-round and creative tale. Too bad about the grammar and writing mix-ups, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the read!
I never cared for the Disney version when I was growing up, but I liked the book pretty well, and there are other incarnations that tell the story better than The Mouse did! I appreciate your stopping by to read this review!

-- 18 Sep 2017, 14:36 --
Quinto wrote:I have always enjoyed the Peter Pan and Tinkerbell series. This being one with both would be an interesting read. Thanks for your enjoyable review.
Neverland is great setting for stories. Thank you for your kind words!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

It sounds like a wonderful fantasy book. Nice review,
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
DeboraSilva
Currently Reading: The Ask and the Answer
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborasilva.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by DeboraSilva »

Oh, sounds very interesting. The strong set of characters and the entertaining plot makes it look like a worth reading, after all Neverland is magical! Thank you very much for the review.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Marie Kala
Currently Reading: The Mirror Thief
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by Marie Kala »

I love retellings of children's stories, and this one is definitely a different take! Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”