Official Review: Ready, Fire, Aim! An Immigrant's Tales o...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Ready, Fire, Aim! An Immigrant's Tales o...

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ready, Fire, Aim! An Immigrant's Tales of Entrepreneurial Terror" by Charles Ota Heller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ready, Fire, Aim! An Immigrant's Tales of Entrepreneurial Terror hits the bull's-eye! In it, Charles Ota Heller tells us the fascinating story of his life.

Born in 1936 to a wealthy family of Jews, he experienced losing the family’s fortune, freedom, and future when the Nazis invaded his native Czechoslovakia. The Holocaust wiped out most of his family; the only survivors (his father and mother and himself) eventually fled their country (then under Communist rule a few years after the Russian Red Army drove the Germans away) and came to America as political refugees. He was thirteen.

Now in his eighties, Charles tells us how the scared boy who knew only two English words (“Sank you!”) when he arrived in America came to become Maryland’s “Mr. Entrepreneurship” and a sought-after inspirational speaker for both budding and established entrepreneurs. The book spans his early childhood, school life, and career as an engineer, an academician, an entrepreneur, a venture capitalist, and ultimately, a writer.

There’s more. The author is not just a career man. He is a versatile sportsman (he is into basketball, tennis, skiing, sailing, track, etc.), a patriotic citizen (he idolizes JFK and his what-you-can-do-for-your-country mandate) of his two countries (America and Czechoslovakia), and best of all, a devoted son, husband, father, and grandfather. Trust me that his story is worth telling (and reading). His life is beautiful. (The story also reminds me of the Italian film Life is Beautiful about the Holocaust because of the author’s loving and supportive father Rudolph, the driving force in the author’s life.)

I recommend Ready, Fire, Aim! to a wide variety of readers, owing to the wealth of experience the author shares.

Entrepreneurs top the list of beneficiaries. They will read stories of successes and failures, good and bad decisions, and how to rise again after a fall. The book title, Ready, Fire, Aim!, is a slogan of how entrepreneurs face their everyday challenges. Most decisions need to be made fast, even without proper contemplation. The entrepreneurs always hope (those who believe in God, pray) that the good decisions outnumber the bad. The book will inspire as the author has "been there and done that."

Those interested in the history of computers will relish this book. The author was a pioneer in computer-aided-design technology back when computers were the size of refrigerators or larger. The book traces the growth of this technology and the “reverse growth” in the size of computers.

Teachers and those in the academe will relate to the author’s discussions about the importance of the title “Doctor,” the desirability of tenure, and other intellectual stuff.

Most everyone who has held a job or started a small business will pick valuable morsels from this book. The author’s stories about botched deals, office intrigue, obnoxious venture capitalists, and the bias that employers have for Ivy Leaguers will bring back memories.

The author uses very simple language, allowing the readers to appreciate the material even when technical jargon is used. He also injects humor in the most appropriate places, thereby keeping boredom at bay. One funny line mentions a book on mergers entitled Welcome to our Conglomerate, You’re Fired! He jokingly refers to angel investors as “friends, family, and fools” and calls venture capitalists “Masters of the Universe.”

The vignettes are described with fantastic detail (the author kept journals all his professional life), allowing the reader to feel part of the scenes. Most stories are bereft of dialogue, as is typical of autobiographies. But dialogues are at times added to spice up the scenes, without affecting the authenticity of the account.

The author occasionally uses bad words, especially during times of crisis, but these are mostly in the form of thoughts and are rarely spoken to anyone.

The book is superbly organized. Save for the first chapter (which details a critical juncture in the author's life as a young entrepreneur), events are narrated chronologically; the reader has no trouble following the story. The chapters are aptly titled; this facilitates going back to sections one wants to reread. The “Author’s Note and Acknowledgments” and “About the Author” sections at the end of the book provide valuable insights about the writer’s qualifications and his decision to write the book.

The book was impeccably edited by two editors. I found no obvious grammatical errors, and the writing was smooth all the way.

There is still so much more to tell about this book, which I believe undoubtedly deserves 4 out of 4 stars. It is a wonderful story of resilience and about people’s ability to achieve anything that they work hard for, regardless of the odds stacked against them. My takeaway from the author is this: Whatever happens with your job, do not forget family, friends, and fun (your personal well-being). Nothing is worth losing them. This is wonderful advice for everyone.

Ready, Fire, Aim! An Immigrant's Tales of Entrepreneurial Terror
View: on Bookshelves

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

In spite of my reluctance to read non-fiction, all the wonderful onlineBookClub reviews like this one are inspiring me to rethink my preferences a bit. You make this book sound like fun, in addition to its being a way to learn about a number of topics that could enrich one's life, simply through the example of Charles Heller.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Ubyamos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ubyamos.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Ubyamos »

This book sounds like an interesting motivational book.
Thanks for the review.

-- 13 Sep 2017, 00:54 --

Thanks for the review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Zelinda wrote:In spite of my reluctance to read non-fiction, all the wonderful onlineBookClub reviews like this one are inspiring me to rethink my preferences a bit. You make this book sound like fun, in addition to its being a way to learn about a number of topics that could enrich one's life, simply through the example of Charles Heller.
You wouldn't think that people can overcome childhood trauma. Charles Ota Heller proves it can happen. This man is a hero in my eyes.

Thanks, Zelinda! Try this one. You won't regret it.

-- 13 Sep 2017, 02:24 --
Ubyamos wrote:This book sounds like an interesting motivational book.
Thanks for the review.

-- 13 Sep 2017, 00:54 --

Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading and commenting, Ubyamos! You will get lots of inspiration from this book.

Again, sank you!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like a nice memoir,
Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks, Geoffrey Ngoima! This author is truly inspiring.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

Glad you liked this one so much. It's great to see such a positive and inspiring non-fiction story that is also well written! However, this doesn't really seem like one that would interest me. Great job on the review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for visiting and commenting, MarisaRose. I understand it's not for everyone. I was in banking for many years so the author's experiences resonated with me.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Miriam Molina wrote:Thanks, Geoffrey Ngoima! This author is truly inspiring.
You're welcome, I hope I'll be inspired too
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

I admire your enthusiasm. Your review is well written. I love inspirational books.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks, Alicnim! This book is about the triumph of the human spirit. You can if you think you can.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

nice review Miriam. The book sounds interesting. I am hoping that i might read this one. Thank you for your thoughts.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've seen this one reviewed before. It sounds like a very interesting and enjoyable book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I don't think this particular non fiction one is for me as I can't really relate, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Reading your review, it does sound very inspiring considering everything the man had been through. I liked how you ended the review with what the message was :)
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I like books in the nonfiction category and enjoy them more when they are overtly motivational as Charles Ota Heller's Ready, Fire, Aim! An Immigrant's Tales of Entrepreneurial Terror. I think the review is painstakingly and nicely put together.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”