Review by Abayomi2060 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Abayomi2060 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Abayomi2060 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It begins with a normal hiking trip with family and friends, then 13-year-old Sarah goes missing. After a week of futile search, she comes back with a head injury and a missing finger and fantastic story! The novel switches smoothly between Sarah’s narrative and present day events, portraying love, friendship, commitment etc. It is the first tale in the Spear Thrower Series, to be followed by “Adrift” in 2018.

Charlie Sheldon’s Strong Heart is a thrilling story set in the North Pacific Coast. The story drags at the beginning with the sudden arrival of Sarah at her grandfather’s home, but after the turn of a few pages, the story spiraled into a historical fiction which was interesting and educative. Reading the book, I could sense that the author would have actually hiked in the Olympic National Park for him to paint such a beautiful scenery in his book.

Sarah, along with her grandfather, Tom, who she just met and some friends go hiking in the Olympic National Park to return an important artifact to her great-great-grandfather’s burial site. Sarah is a dog-headed little girl, who having lost her mother at the age of nine became strong-willed and independent. Annoyed at Tom for disbelieving her story about seeing a short-faced bear, she disappeared into the woods and is not seen until a week later. However, on their way back home, she tells them where she had been for an entire week, she tells them a story of ancient men!

Although the book is a fictional work, it contains historical facts that I did not know about until I read the book. I cannot say this is the best historical fiction book ever, after all, this is my first of the said genre, but, Strong Heart is a masterpiece. The book seemed to be professionally edited as I could not find any error which made my reading smooth, as well as the fact that the author’s writing style made it easy to read.

All in all, this book makes a great read and I recommend it to those who love to read books all genres. Written in third person except when Sarah was narrating her ordeal, the plot encompasses all genres, even a hint of romance. Although, I did not like the abrupt end of the story which left me with tons of questions, still, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Abayomi2060's review? Post a comment saying so!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Since the book is October's BOTM, I plan to read it. I am glad you enjoyed the book! Nice review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I like the fact that you got the impression that the author really went to hike in the Olympic National Park. I love when authors really do research for their novels.

Thanks for the nice review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I wonder also about the historical facts on this book because I love history. anyway, You have a nice review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I am planning to read this book. Your review helped in making up my mind. Great review.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am halfway through the book. I am a little bored, but all the good ratings (mostly 4 stars) are pushing me to go on.

Thanks, Abayomi2060, for adding to the pressure haha!
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:

Post by Abayomi2060 »

gali wrote:Since the book is October's BOTM, I plan to read it. I am glad you enjoyed the book! Nice review!
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks

-- 20 Sep 2017, 02:22 --
Yolimari wrote:I like the fact that you got the impression that the author really went to hike in the Olympic National Park. I love when authors really do research for their novels.

Thanks for the nice review!
Yeah, I agree. Thanks for dropping by

-- 20 Sep 2017, 02:23 --
jeminah28 wrote:I wonder also about the historical facts on this book because I love history. anyway, You have a nice review.
Thank you

-- 20 Sep 2017, 02:24 --
The Researcher wrote:I am planning to read this book. Your review helped in making up my mind. Great review.
I'm glad I helped. Hope you enjoy the book.

-- 20 Sep 2017, 02:26 --
Miriam Molina wrote:I am halfway through the book. I am a little bored, but all the good ratings (mostly 4 stars) are pushing me to go on.

Thanks, Abayomi2060, for adding to the pressure haha!
I'm OK with adding pressure, haha! Thanks for dropping by.
Lanrypat
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Lanrypat »

I think the review is quite thoughtful. nice work 4 out of 4
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Lanrypat wrote:I think the review is quite thoughtful. nice work 4 out of 4
Thanks for your reply. Check out my other reviews and tell me what you think.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Sarah's story was my favorite part. Thanks for a great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”