Official Review: Confessions Of An Online Dater

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Official Review: Confessions Of An Online Dater

Post by Tanaya »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Confessions Of An Online Dater" by Guy Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Confessions of an Online Dater: A Man’s Guide to Dodging the Minefields, Red Flags, and Deal Breakers of Online Dating is a nonfiction advice book by Guy Johnson.

After separating from his wife, the author decided to try his hand at online dating in his mid-fifties. He eventually found love, but it was quite a process to find the woman that was right for him. From his experiences, he shares practical advice that he hopes will help others. Topics include profiles riddled with lies, outdated photographs, and not having a spark with your date. While being on the lookout for dishonesty is a major theme, the author highly stresses the importance of being honest yourself. He walks readers through the series of decisions involved in online dating, such as determining how long you want to commit to a paid membership plan and how many websites to join. The book is filled with questions to ask yourself to figure out what exactly it is that you are looking for. The author also helps the reader prepare to be asked personal questions, depending on your relationship status (never been married, divorced, etc.) Other topics include but are not limited to taking a passive or active approach (waiting to be contacted or persistently searching for what you’re looking for), dating as a single parent, ending a bad date, and entering into an exclusive relationship.

While the book is intended for male readers who are looking to find “that last mate and living happily ever after,” the author also notes that it can be helpful for female readers as well to gain “insight into how men approach their search.” As a woman, I wanted to read this book for two reasons: for a laugh and to better understand a man’s perspective when it comes to dating. I was satisfied on both fronts. There are certainly many comical aspects to the novel, including an entire chapter dedicated to wacky things dates have said to him. But the book is also very honest and practical. Additionally, it was well organized, thorough, and detail-oriented. For instance, the author breaks down the numbers for the percentage of women he actually went out with after contacting them, their demographics, the length of his relationships, and so on.

As previously stated, this book is very honest and also straightforward. This was certainly one of its strengths, among many. There were a lot of quotes that I put in my notes because they were so insightful. One example is when the author discusses some women’s attitude about divorce: “You will encounter some women who are at peace over being divorced, while others are still bitter and try to make every man they meet pay for the sins of their ex-husband(s). Men are also guilty of this, so do some self-reflecting or therapy before dating, if needed.” Another example based on his personal experience: “...if it’s six-plus dates and you are still meeting in some parking lot, then she may have trust issues or may be hiding something…” He also gives solid advice on dealing with rejection: “Take the high road, and be graceful about it—remember there are plenty of other choices.”

The only thing that I didn’t like about the book is that I was left with the feeling that it was incomplete. The book was very short. Based on the subtitle, the author certainly accomplishes what he set out to do, but I also wanted to know about his successes and the lasting relationship that came out of over four years of searching.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Despite my desire for it to be longer, that speaks to how much I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Hopefully, the author will continue writing because I know he has more stories to share, and I would gladly read them. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy hearing unique perspectives on finding love.

Confessions Of An Online Dater
View: on Bookshelves

Like Tanaya's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Great review. That story is common in our place. I like your review. It makes me smile. :lol:
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

Even though the book focuses more on the male audience, I'm sure there's something in there for we females to learn. Nice review
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html

Post by 0719672189 »

It is a great book for male readers who are looking for a second chance in love.thanks for the great review
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad the book was a little bit short for your tastes. It seems like this is a good informational read, though. Online dating is so popular now; it's good to have a guide like this to help people out. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Isaac Obeng Ebu
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-obeng-ebu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Isaac Obeng Ebu »

I think this book couldn't have come at the right time for my male friends, many of the times, guys find themselves locked up as to what to do in terms of searching for an online date. This book meticulously guides readers through the various stages of online dating. thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

It's a great book for this 21st century where almost everything can be done online. Thanks for the review Tanaya.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I think this book's long title, Confessions of an Online Dater: A Man’s Guide to Dodging the Minefields, Red Flags, and Deal Breakers of Online Dating, says a lot in respect to its content. I think Guy Johnson's book is very topical.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This sounds like a great read and very informative. Thank you for such a well written review.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

This is a nice practical book on a confusing aspect of our modern lifestyles. Any advise on that front is welcome. Thanks for a wonderful review.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Looks like a book every single person in the 21st century should read, ..
Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I thought this review was really interesting! I think it would be great to gain some perspective from the point of view of a male, but I'm not an online dater nor never have been, so some aspects of this one may not be interesting for me. Great job on the review!
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

I have never been into online dating but after reading your review I think I would be interesting on at least reading about it :)
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

Whereas your review is amazing, this book is not my thing. It just doesn't capture my attention
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
lizasulit64
Currently Reading: Contact and Conflict
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by lizasulit64 »

This is a nice practical book on a confusing aspects on our modern life style. Great job on the review.Congrats!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”