Review by MsTri -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Review by MsTri -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by MsTri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love. Doesn’t the word just warm your heart? Then why would anyone want to BAN a book about love?

Sure, some of the things Scott Hughes writes in his tome, The Banned Book About Love, may be a little hard to swallow, but aren’t many important, life-changing ideas and concepts? Granted, as a Christian, having agape – not a word he uses, but it is what he’s talking about - love for others was not a new concept for me, but it’s very simply presented in this book.

Mr. Hughes starts off by noting that he “loves” Brock Turner, the infamous “fast swimmer” convicted of a trio of sexual felonies. I don’t know if the author was going for shock value or just using an extreme example to get his point across, but it certainly got my attention. I kept reading to find out that even though the author was not condoning Brock’s actions, he also doesn’t wish him to hurt or suffer unnecessarily. I don’t want to cover the whole book here, but the author goes on to discuss the emotions involved in vengeance vs. justice, which means he spends a fair amount of time delving into hatred, as well.

There is also a chapter on the religious history of this concept, but Mr. Hughes is not heavy-handed about it, nor does he thump a Bible in your face. A couple of Bible verses are included in this chapter, but I don’t think the chapter is “preachy” enough to turn off those of a different belief system. The author also includes a relevant quote from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., a part of which says, “The strong person is the person who can cut off the chain of hate, the chain of evil. And that is the tragedy of hate, that it doesn’t cut it off. It only intensifies the existence of hate and evil in the universe.” I felt this was a wonderful way to tie this book and its ideas all together.

I really liked this book. Even though, as I mentioned previously, I was already familiar with this concept, I’d never heard it put forth as Mr. Hughes explained it, and I found myself entranced by his words. He included many thoughtful analogies and examples that gave me pause, before turning around and giving a call to action.

I am proud to give this book 4 out of 4 stars and urge all readers to read it. From the young to the old, whether male or female, and whatever the race or belief system, I feel everyone can gain something for having read it.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sometimes it's easier said than done to love our enemies. However, it's a concept that we all need to try to practice. Should this book have been banned? No. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tajwar Shakir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tajwar-shakir.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Tajwar Shakir »

Wow! A book from this book club's owner i would surely love to read it. Though this synopsis doesn't do the required justice to excite my interest but surely i would love to keep it in my shelf to be read as soon as i get my hand on it and to write my voluntarily review on it as well! Feeling thrilled!
Tajwar Shakir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tajwar-shakir.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Tajwar Shakir »

Well! I have read this book as it was accessible here at the site and got mixed feelings after reading. The author shows a soft corner for the convict in terms of humanity and as he narrated that he has this empathy feeling for almost anyone who's human at first than being tagged as a criminal. On this note i consider him justified as the goodness has its own reward no doubt. He has added very validated religious reference as well to justify his view point. Agreed again. But i personally would like to quote this too:
"The sin will remain a sin no matter if everybody is doing it. And virtue will remain a virtue even if nobody is doing it." His argument seems justified in term of his virtue for humanity to deal with criminals as humans not to tag them 'criminals' for the rest of their lives out of the hatred for one wrong act. So i agree with the author's this notion. Further i appreciate his donation for sexual assault victims. So his good deed is worth remembering for the convict and the victim even if nobody has appreciated it. One should only do his/her part right and with a good heart that's the essence of respecting and loving humanity. He did that and i appreciate it. A thought provoking read i would call this book!
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I feel warm reading the review and added the book on my shelf. Even though I am not a Christian but I love this kind of book.
Thank you for the honest and nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”