What trauma have you overcame?

Discuss the September 2017 Book of the Month, Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa: Finding Healing Through Travel by Tina Dreffin.

View Bluewater Walkabout on Bookshelves

View Bluewater Walkabout on Amazon
Ashley Crane
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-crane.html
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Re: What trauma have you overcame?

Post by Ashley Crane »

One example is being beaten up and waking up in a driveway late at night in a large pool of blood. I've read about many similar situations where people had brain aneurysms and died from the trauma. It's weird though how sometimes escaping death, also feels like death. There's this strange, relentless depression it causes that you can't quite understand. That happened when I got into a car accident too. You think, "But I'm okay, so why am I so sad?" That goes on for a while, waxing and waning, until it becomes this quasi-buried thing that's just always there under a thin layer of sand. When the wind comes along and blows the sand the right way, it hurts like hell.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Ashley Crane wrote:One example is being beaten up and waking up in a driveway late at night in a large pool of blood. I've read about many similar situations where people had brain aneurysms and died from the trauma. It's weird though how sometimes escaping death, also feels like death. There's this strange, relentless depression it causes that you can't quite understand. That happened when I got into a car accident too. You think, "But I'm okay, so why am I so sad?" That goes on for a while, waxing and waning, until it becomes this quasi-buried thing that's just always there under a thin layer of sand. When the wind comes along and blows the sand the right way, it hurts like hell.
Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you! That sounds awful
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Ashley Crane
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-crane.html

Post by Ashley Crane »

Amagine wrote:
Ashley Crane wrote:One example is being beaten up and waking up in a driveway late at night in a large pool of blood. I've read about many similar situations where people had brain aneurysms and died from the trauma. It's weird though how sometimes escaping death, also feels like death. There's this strange, relentless depression it causes that you can't quite understand. That happened when I got into a car accident too. You think, "But I'm okay, so why am I so sad?" That goes on for a while, waxing and waning, until it becomes this quasi-buried thing that's just always there under a thin layer of sand. When the wind comes along and blows the sand the right way, it hurts like hell.
Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you! That sounds awful
Thank you!
Kokunda
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kokunda.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by Kokunda »

None that I am ready to talk about.
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Kokunda wrote:None that I am ready to talk about.
That's okay. I'm sure everyone has some things that they aren't ready to share with others. It's understandable.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I don't know whether we can fully overcome our traumas; for me, it would be the bad childhood stutter that made it hard to do a lot of things like talk to a girl I dearly loved, but she went and the stutter went too, but nothing never really and truly goes away, so sometimes I feel them linger in my mind.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:I don't know whether we can fully overcome our traumas; for me, it would be the bad childhood stutter that made it hard to do a lot of things like talk to a girl I dearly loved, but she went and the stutter went too, but nothing never really and truly goes away, so sometimes I feel them linger in my mind.
I have some bad experiences from childhood too. It's mostly to do with childhood bullying though.

geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Amagine wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote:I don't know whether we can fully overcome our traumas; for me, it would be the bad childhood stutter that made it hard to do a lot of things like talk to a girl I dearly loved, but she went and the stutter went too, but nothing never really and truly goes away, so sometimes I feel them linger in my mind.
I have some bad experiences from childhood too. It's mostly to do with childhood bullying though.
Oh, sorry, I've always thought a solution for that was a good punch across the jaw
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I don't know if it was a trauma exactly, but when I was eight a tornado blew over my house. Nothing was really damaged, but hiding in the closet during it was terrifying. For many years after, every time there was a storm I was very scared another tornado would hit my house. The weather channel alarms always upset me and I would sit glued to the TV waiting for the worst. I got over it when I realized tornadoes are pretty rare in my area and wind, rain and thunder aren't always dangerous. Now I kind of like storms! Lol.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Momiji1987 wrote:I don't know if it was a trauma exactly, but when I was eight a tornado blew over my house. Nothing was really damaged, but hiding in the closet during it was terrifying. For many years after, every time there was a storm I was very scared another tornado would hit my house. The weather channel alarms always upset me and I would sit glued to the TV waiting for the worst. I got over it when I realized tornadoes are pretty rare in my area and wind, rain and thunder aren't always dangerous. Now I kind of like storms! Lol.
I'm glad something as terrifying as a tornado turned into a interest! It's good that you didn't let a bad experience effect your life and opinion!

kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

We lived in the country of Colombia, South America for several years. I was carjacked and hit on the forehead with a gun. After that I was afraid to drive for fear of being attacked again. But I knew that if I gave in to this fear - I probably would never drive again. So I knew I had to face it. The first time I drove again I only went two blocks. The whole time I was shaking like a leaf and was drenched in sweat upon arriving. By continually facing up to the fear, I was able to overcome it and drive again without fear. It was not easy and took a long time but facing up to the fear helped because the other option was to be overcome and never drive again.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

kdstrack wrote:We lived in the country of Colombia, South America for several years. I was carjacked and hit on the forehead with a gun. After that I was afraid to drive for fear of being attacked again. But I knew that if I gave in to this fear - I probably would never drive again. So I knew I had to face it. The first time I drove again I only went two blocks. The whole time I was shaking like a leaf and was drenched in sweat upon arriving. By continually facing up to the fear, I was able to overcome it and drive again without fear. It was not easy and took a long time but facing up to the fear helped because the other option was to be overcome and never drive again.
Your story would be a great inspiration to someone one day. I love that you overcame your fear by facing it head on.

EveS523
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eves523.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by EveS523 »

My children were born premature and had to live in the NICU for a period. One of my sons also had to have open heart surgery at 6 weeks old. It was the most traumatic period in my life. Now they are 2 and crazy, active little boys!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

My biggest trauma that I overcame was Post Partum Depression/Anxiety. I had it terribly with my last two children. Worst of all, most people don't understand it or they don't believe it exists. My daughter is 15 months now and I am just now getting back to my old self. Medication and therapy did wonders. However, God was my healer.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

I think is the way my parents raised me. And am not saying they were abusive And all. I just think that they raised me in such a way not to really follow my dreams and all, and that things can only be gotten one way. They might not have realised it. But I think it was a trauma that I think I've overcome.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Discuss "Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa" by Tina Dreffin”