Official Review: Bullets & Babies by Richard Ballo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Bullets & Babies by Richard Ballo

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bullets & Babies" by Richard Ballo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bullets & Babies: A True Story of Love, Violence and the Spirit to Live is a touching and inspiring memoir of Janice Riddle written by Richard Ballo.

Janice is a young and attractive woman who has unpleasant experiences with the men in her life. She got married at sixteen and became a mother of three at twenty. Fed up with her abusive husband, Wayne, she had an affair with another man, Ron, and bore his child. When Janice and Wayne got divorced, she married Ron, but when Ron moved out, she had an affair with yet another abusive man, Glen.

The story begins on the night Janice makes up with Ron. As they are checking out a friend’s gun collection, a collection the couple suspects to be originally theirs, a gun goes off and Janice is hit. The bullet enters her left chest missing her heart. It travels and hit her left shoulder blade, bounces and pierces through both her lungs, ricochets off a rib, into her throat and hits her spine shattering her vertebrae and cutting her spinal cord consequently paralyzing both of her legs.

This is a very interesting and ultimately inspiring story of a courageous woman who had lived a difficult life but accepted her fate and remained grateful. Compared with other memoirs I have read, this book is relatively short. After reading the entire book, however, I realized that the author focused on and featured only the things that really mattered to Janice: her parents, her children, her grandchildren, the men in her life, and her relationship with God. This technique makes this book very easy to read.

The author did an excellent job in telling the story through Janice’s perspective. Reading the book felt like listening to Janice tell her story, her pains, her fears, her insecurities, her anger, her hopes, her loneliness, her faith in God and even her sexual longings. Through the author, Janice was able to show the world her strength in the midst of adversity, her inexhaustible will to learn to take care of herself, her fiery temper when defending someone too timid to stand up for herself, and her enormous faith in God as she tried to make sense of everything that happened to her and how it fit with God’s greater plans for her life. By telling her story and baring her soul in this book, Janice teaches us some great and valuable lessons, most important of which is to enjoy and to be thankful for having functional legs, something she ignored until she lost it.

All in all, this is a great book. Besides a few noticeable errors (like for divorced, check’s her mom’s pulse) the book is, generally, well-written.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is informative, encouraging and very inspiring. I recommend it to readers who enjoy memoirs and stories about rising above adversity. It is a story about a tough woman who lived a very interesting life and whose life we can learn a lot from.

Bullets & Babies
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

Since I'm a woman, I'm very sure I'll learn a lot from this memoir. Nice review.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I am attracted to narratives about strong females. The title, Bullets & Babies, appeals to me. The fact that the book details the true story of Janice Riddle is an added pull. Good review, kimmyschemy06.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I can't even imagine what the author went through. It definitely sounds like an inspiring story. Thanks for the review. This one is worth checking out!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html

Post by KlareAllison »

Belynda White wrote:Since I'm a woman, I'm very sure I'll learn a lot from this memoir. Nice review.
Absolutely, Belynda White. All the more reason I am attracted to very strong female characters like the one portrayed in this narrative. The benefits are unquantifiable.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

This is inspiring. It's encouraging for those in abusive relationships that they don't have to put up with being played. That every cloud has a silver lining. I enjoyed reading your review.
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I really thought this was going to be a hit woman or lady lob boss book--not a memoir with such depth. Thanks for the review.
Sysybombaya
Currently Reading: Cocktails and Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sysybombaya.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B01HMN15UQ

Post by Sysybombaya »

Very inspiring!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

Thanks for a job well done. I enjoyed reading the review I must add to my collection.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”