Review by Alicnim -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Review by Alicnim -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Alicnim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo's Raven is a historical fiction novel by Linnea Tanner. It is the first book in the Apollo Raven series and is self-published. The tale is set in first century Britannia, amongst the Southeast Cantiaci and Catuvellauni kingdoms.

The Roman Empire seeks to enforce their authority to the resident client kings. A Roman senator, Lucius Antonius, has secret intentions to dominate Britannia for his paterfamilias. As the lead Roman agent, he exploits the hatred and flailing loyalties amongst the Celtic kings to install willing conspirators. He pairs the Catuvellauni King and the banished Cantiaci Prince (Marrock) against the less-cooperative King Amren of the Cantiaci. Treachery and betrayal are fair game in this no holds barred contest for supremacy. But wait, there is hope. A young Cantiaci princess named Catrin has awakened her Raven spirit powers. This allows her to foresee the impending threat and unlock an unnerving curse placed on her king by the slain Queen (Marrock's mother).

Marcellus is Lucius's son and an envoy in training. He accompanies his father during negotiations at King Amren's court. Where he meets Princess Catrin and they immediately fall for each other. In societies where loyalties make or break alliances, Marcellus and Catrin become unwilling pawns in a looming conflict. Alliances will be broken and an old enemy will awaken in Apollo's Raven.

The pace of the book was enjoyable and definably a page-turner. I was deeply engrossed in the story and could not stop reading. While reading this book you cannot help but appreciate how much research went into its development. Historical accounts of the time depict Roman incursions in the area and the pacification of Celtic tribes. Some of the characters, like Lucius and Cunobelin the Catuvellauni King were real people. I also appreciated the included site map and referenced it repeatedly during reading.

Celtic and Roman traditions are a heavy theme used throughout this book. There are various depictions of the Roman god Apollo and the Celtic gods. I do not mind some ethnic lore in a story and the various festivities in worship or merrymaking. However, this may not be for everybody and I would warn sensitive readers. The druid power of Catrin was most enjoyable to read and is quite like my favorite character in the infamous Game of Thrones series – the crippled, Brandon Stark.

Linnea Tanner is a seasoned storyteller. Her characters were well developed. The role of women in Celtic society was commendable as compared to the incessant male-dominated paterfamilias of Rome. I may not be a feminist (at least not today!) but I found the Roman senator's condescending tone towards women unbearable. I also hated and loved how he manipulated my emotions so easily by the mere mention of his name. Together with Marrock, you couldn't help but feel a sense of dread around them.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to everyone except the most sensitive of readers. However, this book is not recommended for minors, as there are a few sexual and violent scenes.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Alicnim's review? Post a comment saying so!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I've also read and reviewed this book.I gave it a similar rating. It really was a great read, they should consider making this a movie.
Alicnim

Post by Alicnim »

juliusotinyo wrote:I've also read and reviewed this book.I gave it a similar rating. It really was a great read, they should consider making this a movie.
Who do think from Game of Thrones would make the best Lucius Antonius's character?
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Hmmn...the lead Lannister, I can't remember his name. Cersei's dad.

-- 08 Sep 2017, 17:04 --
juliusotinyo wrote:Hmmn...the lead Lannister, I can't remember his name. Cersei's dad.
I couldn't think of a better person, spot on.

-- 08 Sep 2017, 17:07 --

For Pricius maybe Jaime Lannister... Come to think of it, quite a number of characters here would fit with the ones on that show.
Alicnim

Post by Alicnim »

Very perceptive, its true. Thanks Julius
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Definitely a worth reading story.
Great review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Alicnim

Post by Alicnim »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my review.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

nice review, Alicnim. I got intrigued when you mentioned the Roman Empire. I love history. Thank you for your review. I admire it.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Alicnim

Post by Alicnim »

readandsmile wrote:nice review, Alicnim. I got intrigued when you mentioned the Roman Empire. I love history. Thank you for your review. I admire it.
Thank you. I appreciate your kind comments.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks, Alicnim. Not sure this one will appeal to me but you gave it a good review so I will check out the sample.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Alicnim

Post by Alicnim »

Zelinda wrote:Thanks, Alicnim. Not sure this one will appeal to me but you gave it a good review so I will check out the sample.
Thanks Zelinda for your comments. I think it was a nice read, historical fiction with a blend of forbidden romance did the trick. Reminds me of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This seems to be a great read, with all the good reviews it's been getting. I hope to read it soon.

Compelling review, Alicnim!
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Alicnim wrote:
Zelinda wrote:Thanks, Alicnim. Not sure this one will appeal to me but you gave it a good review so I will check out the sample.
Thanks Zelinda for your comments. I think it was a nice read, historical fiction with a blend of forbidden romance did the trick. Reminds me of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
I downloaded Outlander from my lending library as an audio book, but got so involved in reading other books that I didn't get a chance to listen to it all. Yes, I liked what I heard a lot, and so I will probably finish reading (listening) to it and then try this one out.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I like the fact that Celtic and Roman traditions are detailed in this book. I also find the portrayals of the Roman god, Apollo, and other Celtic gods interesting. Good review, Linnea Tanner.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Alicnim

Post by Alicnim »

Zelinda wrote:
Alicnim wrote:
I downloaded Outlander from my lending library as an audio book, but got so involved in reading other books that I didn't get a chance to listen to it all. Yes, I liked what I heard a lot, and so I will probably finish reading (listening) to it and then try this one out.
I've seen the TV series of Outlander. I haven't read the books. But the last season is taking too long am now looking for the book. Read then let me know.

-- 14 Sep 2017, 00:13 --
Miriam Molina wrote:This seems to be a great read, with all the good reviews it's been getting. I hope to read it soon.

Compelling review, Alicnim!

Hi, go for it you won't be disappointed.

-- 14 Sep 2017, 00:15 --

Hi Klare,
I think you meant Alicnim not Linnea Tanner. The concept of heathen gods was interesting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”