Official Review: Love in Fire and Blood by S.B. Urquidi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CTdeF
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctdef.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Love in Fire and Blood by S.B. Urquidi

Post by CTdeF »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love in Fire and Blood" by S.B. Urquidi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reporter Alma Jaramillo is caught in an intricate web of deceit when starlet Jessica Maria is kidnapped and held for ransom. During the 7 days of negotiation, Alma discovers how murder, corruption, and cover-ups by elected officials have impacted her family directly. Her continued involvement threatens the safety of her parents and 8-year-old child.

Love in Fire and Blood by S.B. Urquidi has an underlying feeling of being a part, but not quite fully immersed in Mexican culture. Alma Jaramillo is an incredibly complex character. Having repatriated back to Mexico, she is learning that she is truly not one or the other, neither Mexican nor American. This juxtaposition has made the transition difficult for her personally but added a sense of realism to the book. The descriptions of her physical environment, through the eyes of a foreigner, yet not quite a foreigner, are detailed. Who has not noticed the rebar sticking out of the roofs topped with glass Coke bottles when traveling through Mexico and wondered about it?

I was delighted to find that one of my favorite books, The Hummingbird’s Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea, is mentioned as sort of a reference to the intricacies of Mexican Catholicism along with an explanation of the influence of El Niño Fidencio, a curandero (healer) in Mexican culture. Allusions to things that only a Mexican would understand, plus an explanation, such as chapulines covered in chili, (fried grasshoppers), the Zapatista uprising, and being denied a visitor’s visa to the US, contributed to the feel of authenticity in the story. The political climate in Mexico, the safety concerns of journalists, the reality of kidnapping and extortion are all put into perspective as Alma’s investigation continues.

There were a few typographical errors and one incorrect Mexican term (buey vs. guey), but these did not detract from the intensity of the story. Once begun, this book was a page turner. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Love in Fire and Blood by S.B. Urquidi did an excellent job of capturing the real Mexico with its inadequate water supplies, security issues, shoddy internet, and shrines on every corner in honor of La Virgen de Guadalupe maintained with care.

Readers with some knowledge about life in Mexico who love a good mystery will enjoy the layered stories within this book. Readers with no knowledge about Mexico will also love this book. Most Mexican idiosyncrasies are well explained in the text. Readers with quite a bit of knowledge about living in Mexico will enjoy this book as well for its honest portrayal of such a lovely, broken country. So, I believe just about everyone will find Love in Fire and Blood by S.B. Urquidi a fascinating read.

Love in Fire and Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CTdeF's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jerome1986
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jerome1986 »

Repeatedly read it.
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

This is a nice review. I love the fact that you could identify how complex a character Alma is. I'm not really conversant with the Mexican culture but I do enjoy watching Mexican movies/series, so I think I can grasp a picture of everything you're talking about. Nice review dear. Maybe you can drop by my latest review and give your genuine opinion about it. We can all help each other grow and improve our writing skills!
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like quite an interesting novel. I love that it tells more about the Mexican culture. I don't know as much as I should about that. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like a good book, with that rating I'm definitely reading it.
Great review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Great review. I'll take a trip to Mexico with this one.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
CTdeF

Post by CTdeF »

Jerome1986 wrote:Repeatedly read it.
Seems like a book I will enjoy rereading as well!

-- 07 Sep 2017, 13:59 --
Belynda White wrote:This is a nice review. I love the fact that you could identify how complex a character Alma is. I'm not really conversant with the Mexican culture but I do enjoy watching Mexican movies/series, so I think I can grasp a picture of everything you're talking about. Nice review dear. Maybe you can drop by my latest review and give your genuine opinion about it. We can all help each other grow and improve our writing skills!
As a side note--the word "alma' in Spanish means "soul". How could a woman with that name not be complex?

-- 07 Sep 2017, 14:00 --
kandscreeley wrote:This sounds like quite an interesting novel. I love that it tells more about the Mexican culture. I don't know as much as I should about that. Thanks for the review.
It was really a nice touch that a lot of the Mexican references were explained, some during the course of a conversation, others just as a general tidbit.

-- 07 Sep 2017, 14:01 --
Mercy Bolo wrote:Great review. I'll take a trip to Mexico with this one.
You will!
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the Mexican flavour. Good review.
CTdeF

Post by CTdeF »

Quinto wrote:I like the Mexican flavour. Good review.
Thanks! I also enjoyed the flavor!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”