Official Review: Empire Man by Michael Dirubio

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Official Review: Empire Man by Michael Dirubio

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Empire Man" by Michael Dirubio.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Empire Man by Michael Dirubio is a space opera novel. Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction. This book can also be said to be a science fiction fantasy. It was self-published on November 24, 2015. It has 793 standard pages, which is double the size of a normal size novel, and deals with issues of space warfare, interplanetary battles, interplanetary politics, romance, risk-taking adventures, and espionage.

The strapline on the book cover reads,
Humanity’s destiny is in the stars.
Humanity’s destiny is truly in the stars as the story starts in the distant future, at the start of a new galactic year by the standard calendar, where man has built giant cities in space, colonized planets, even met the aliens and successfully moved through the traversable wormholes. President Cooper Carlyle, the leader of the three Alpha planets, has traveled great distances through space to move the Alpha Confederation capital from Proxima to Terra Prime, and also to be in a strategic position for war.

As a countermeasure, the Royal family begins to rally their interstellar weaponry and resources. Could this be the beginning of interplanetary doom? The young ensigns, Rita and Riggs, do not care much about the Tau Empire, the home 16 billion souls, or Emperor Paul Yang, the head of the largest corporation in human history, or anything for that matter. They only care about the revealed aliens and exploring new worlds, but will they be transformed with what is coming?

You don’t have to be versed in quantum theory or know anything about special relativity to understand and enjoy this book. That being said, you would, however, have to pass through the space jargon that the author has made uncomplicated for the reader.

Once you get past the technical jargon, a fantasy world of the universe and the four alien species open up to you. These four alien species are the Thream who are the most human like, the Seepled who are a total mystery to the humans, the Trelians, and the Griz! Thl? It seems the employ of good humor, or at least undercurrents of it, is almost a prerequisite of a good book, and this book has a fair share of it.

What I did not like about this book was the length of the book. It would have been more appealing if it would have been shorter and therefore attracted a wider audience while still remaining relevant and powerful. The technical talk was another issue that, although made simpler by the author and necessary for the building of the dense plot, would further derail the reading process.

The story had a few editing issues that were unforgivable, for example, the misspellings, “…only three centimeters shorted [shorter] than Stanton,” omissions, “…the leadership would go [to] the clan,” the usual misplacing of “then” in the place of “than,” and a multitude of punctuation errors. I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because of too much usage of technical terms that could have been reduced to a minimum, and the editing issues. I recommend it to the readers that love science fiction fantasy and a thick plot.

Empire Man
View: on Bookshelves

Like geoffrey ngoima's review? Post a comment saying so!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've never really tried a space opera before. I don't know if I'd really like it or not. I guess I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima

kandscreeley wrote:I've never really tried a space opera before. I don't know if I'd really like it or not. I guess I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review.
Let this be your first! You're welcome
& thank you for dropping by.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
servamem
Currently Reading: Everything I Never Learned in School: A Guide to Success
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by servamem »

geoffrey ngoima..man thats a nice review there...Thinking of reading this book myself.
Lenthy novel are not usually my favor..but i feel challenged that you are able to ration out time to derve into this space opera....nice one
geoffrey ngoima

servamem wrote:geoffrey ngoima..man thats a nice review there...Thinking of reading this book myself.
Lenthy novel are not usually my favor..but i feel challenged that you are able to ration out time to derve into this space opera....nice one
Hey, Servamem, thank you!
yeah, the lengthy ones are always discouraging but once you get your teeth into them, esp if you find a good, you just start flowing with it and within no time you're done and yearning for more.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Quite interesting plot . But yes too much technical words that you are not familiar with makes it tough to continue. Admirable review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Another great review, Geoffrey! While some parts of this book sound intriguing, like interplanetary politics, risky adventures and espionage, I don't think it's a book for me. For one, as you pointed out, it's rather lengthy, and I'm not sure I'd be able to get through all of that with so much technical and space jargon. While I understand the necessity of it in a sci-fi book and appreciate the author simplifying it, I know I would have a hard time remembering everything. I'd probably need more than just undercurrents of humor to get through it myself, but I can see how this would appeal to sci-fi fans! I'm just picky about my sci-fi. Lovely review!
geoffrey ngoima

Mallory Whitaker wrote:Another great review, Geoffrey! While some parts of this book sound intriguing, like interplanetary politics, risky adventures and espionage, I don't think it's a book for me. For one, as you pointed out, it's rather lengthy, and I'm not sure I'd be able to get through all of that with so much technical and space jargon. While I understand the necessity of it in a sci-fi book and appreciate the author simplifying it, I know I would have a hard time remembering everything. I'd probably need more than just undercurrents of humor to get through it myself, but I can see how this would appeal to sci-fi fans! I'm just picky about my sci-fi. Lovely review!
I'm also picky! There's so much to read and so little time! I get you on that remembering bit, I think I wrote a dozen pages of short notes while reviewing, but try it out one of these days when you'll not be swamped...

-- 07 Sep 2017, 10:54 --
Darakhshan Nazir wrote:Quite interesting plot . But yes too much technical words that you are not familiar with makes it tough to continue. Admirable review
Tough but worth it ;)
Thank you, & thanks for dropping by
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

I don't think i would read it considering the fact that it is long yet it has got technical terms. Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
geoffrey ngoima

Marylynn wrote:I don't think i would read it considering the fact that it is long yet it has got technical terms. Thanks for the great review.
I get it, Marylynn, and thank you!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Great review but because it's so long, I'll pass on this one.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

geoffrey ngoima wrote: I'm also picky! There's so much to read and so little time! I get you on that remembering bit, I think I wrote a dozen pages of short notes while reviewing, but try it out one of these days when you'll not be swamped...
Right? There's never enough time. Haha, wow, that's intense! Did you need all of those notes while reading it? I'll have to give it a shot one day. I'll wait for the mood to strike me.
geoffrey ngoima

Mallory Whitaker wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote: I'm also picky! There's so much to read and so little time! I get you on that remembering bit, I think I wrote a dozen pages of short notes while reviewing, but try it out one of these days when you'll not be swamped...
Right? There's never enough time. Haha, wow, that's intense! Did you need all of those notes while reading it? I'll have to give it a shot one day. I'll wait for the mood to strike me.
Haha, kidding :liar: , but it took a little out of me; and brought in a lot! :wink2:
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Might give this one a shot...and skim the technical jargon. Thanks!
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

This is just my type of book. It's a bit on the long side, but if the story is as good as you've made it sound it'll be well worth it. Shame they didn't get it properly proofread.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”