Official Review: Change; Become a Winner by George Boulden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: Change; Become a Winner by George Boulden

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Change; Become a Winner" by George Boulden.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Change; Become a Winner: Gateway to a New Life by George Boulden is a non-fiction book aimed at people who want to have more meaningful careers. At around 160 pages, the book is relatively short. The author’s goal is to share with working people his long-time expertise in his tested four-step model that allows a person to change from within.

The writer’s knowledge is evident. There is no doubt that George Boulden is very successful in holding business seminars all over the world in order to promote his model to multinational corporations, such as Unilever, Motorola, and ICL. However, expertise in any area of business will not necessarily turn a person into an accomplished writer. There are many content, grammar, spelling, style, and formatting issues in this book.

The chosen topic is rather dry, although the writer does inject several personal anecdotes throughout the text to disrupt the monotony a bit. The book is clearly aimed at business owners and employees, and it focuses on how to achieve job satisfaction and fulfillment at work. Words and phrases such as “communicating with rapport,” “being promoted from a follower to a leader,” “empowering,” “management,” “strategy,” and “facilitating learning” are common within the narrative. These terms are also often used in meetings and written reports in a company.

What really caught my attention, however, was that, while discussing Abraham Maslow’s classical hierarchy of needs, the author claimed that Mother Teresa and Attila the Hun had the same motivational selfish goals in life, even though he recognized that Mother Teresa’s goals were nobler. He said that there is no real difference between the two important historical figures. I strongly disagree. I certainly don’t see Mother Teresa as selfish or greedy. I rather see her as an altruistic saint, which she will forever remain in my heart.

Moving on to grammar, spelling, and formatting issues, this is the very first paragraph in the book:
If you seeking promotion in your current job or perhaps to find a new job; would you like to run your own business, have a better work-life balance or retire at fifty? This book is for you. It;
Generally, the first paragraph is meant to be a short teaser of what is to come in a book: it should grab our attention, pull us in, and keep us glued to the pages. Instead, this initial paragraph almost turned me off from reading any further.

There are many such poorly-written sentences throughout the entire work. Commas are added where they should not appear, and they are left out from very obvious locations; semicolons are often used to introduce quotations. Some chapter titles are written in capital letters, while others are written in lowercase letters. Yet other chapters have their letters all mixed up. Paragraphs are cut off randomly with double spacing between the lines. Most subtitles and subheadings are bold. In some chapters they are both italicized and bold, while in some places the formatting is entirely left out.

The author likes to enclose important words in single quotation marks (as per the British style guide); however, many times the left or the right quotation mark is missing. Also most chapters are left aligned, while others are center aligned. I have even found a few paragraphs that were right aligned. All these issues make for some very awkward reading.

Overall, this book is in major need of editing, but it has two main redeeming qualities. At the end of each chapter the author has included exercises that should help us apply the knowledge gained from the lessons to our own lives. These exercises do make the book slightly more interactive. Also from the manual it is evident that the writer really knows his professional trade. As such, I can give Change; Become a Winner: Gateway to a New Life 2 out of 4 stars. A team of good proofreaders, copy editors, and line editors could easily raise this book to 3 or 4 stars. Then I could heartily recommend it to people who want to enter the business world, to those who aim to climb the corporate ladder and get better paying jobs, or to individuals who need useful tips to become successful entrepreneurs.

Change; Become a Winner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
Walterevws
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walterevws.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Walterevws »

Quite informative review there,helped me review my wish to read the book unless maybe after it has undergone a series of editing and proofreading. See why reviews are vital to all writers? :( :(
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

It is true, reviewers must be honest and state the facts correctly and if there are errors, they should point them out. It is shady when, for example, a book has only 5 stars on Amazon and all reviewers give it glowing recommendations. Even best-sellers have a variety of different ratings and opinions about the book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for the review. It sounds like this could have been a good book. I agree with you about Mother Theresa, though. I definitely disagree with comparing her to Atilla the Hun! I think I'll be skipping this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, those two main issues (grammar and the Mother Teresa story) make it a bit difficult to read.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I think money minded people don't really value religion and the reasons behind what the Saints and the devoted do what they do, that's why the remark about Mother Teresa might have been commonplace to him. I would have to say there are so many books like these on the market and I don't think I'm built for that kind of business mentality, so I'd pass on this book.
Great and informative review, btw
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

I think you have a point there. And yes, this book is not your regular self-help book, it's with a particular target market in mind. Which reminds me...thank god I left the rat race after being stuck in it for 25 years :)
Last edited by kislany on 07 Sep 2017, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
geoffrey ngoima

Haha, not the place to be, ....but I bet there are valuable in there that could help even with little businesses at home and the environs
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Oh yes definitely. The author is really knowledgeable and has a lot of good to say in the book. It's nothing revolutionary, all stuff that we instinctively know, but it's good to have it all written down in one place. The book is basically a manual for business.
geoffrey ngoima

kislany wrote:Oh yes definitely. The author is really knowledgeable and has a lot of good to say in the book. It's nothing revolutionary, all stuff that we instinctively know, but it's good to have it all written down in one place. The book is basically a manual for business.
:tiphat:
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Not the type of story I would enjoy. Thank you for a such a nice and honest review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:Not the type of story I would enjoy. Thank you for a such a nice and honest review
Thank you for coming over!
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Wow, your review was smooth and straight to the point. I enjoyed reading it.

I hope to have a business one day, so, I am sure I may need to read these kinds of books.

Thanks for the review.
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Mtsweni Nelsy wrote:Wow, your review was smooth and straight to the point. I enjoyed reading it.

I hope to have a business one day, so, I am sure I may need to read these kinds of books.

Thanks for the review.
Thanks, appreciate your reply. For anyone interested in having a business, the book will be helpful.
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Too bad that the book needs editing. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”