Review by catiarato -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Review by catiarato -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Cátia Rato »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It all starts on a prison deep under the earth. Someone is being lashed. But are we reading through the eyes of the one delivering the lashes or the one receiving them? We know something terrible has happened, but not what. The author makes us want to discover what is going on since the first line. That's something remarkable about Lincoln Cole's Ravens Peak. The insides of the Reverend are a turmoil: he's lifeless but he feels. And then nothingness.

Fast forward six months and we are seeing through the eyes of a young man that we've not heard of before. At some point there's a "But honestly, how hard could it be?". We all know that when this is said, something really bad is about to happen. We have two main characters, innocent Haatim and fierce Abigail, from two complete different backgrounds. Having just met, they have each other's backs, even if sometimes one of them seems not to care enough.

Being a book about the supernatural and considering what's out there about this theme, I find this book quite interesting. It clearly compels you to read the previous book, The Ninth Circle, that introduces The Reverend's background, and the following books of this series. The story is fast paced, with lots of action in almost every chapter, and leaves open questions that you just have to see answered. The author also makes a very good job at making you like the charaters of the book. You just want to know more about them and see what they are going to do next, how they are going to react to what's comming.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I really liked to read this story and am going to read every book of the series, but the story is somewhat predictable. You know more or less what's going to happen before it happens. If the element of surprise was present in here, this book would be truly amazing. Besides that, there are some sentences that do not make complete sense and I had to read them three or four times to be sure of what the author meant.

Nevertheless, I truly reccommend this book to fans of this genre and also of fast paced books. As I've said, the characters have very interesting back stories and the author really makes you want to know more. This book is a kind of introduction to, what I hope, will be the development of the main story on the second book. The characters and their world are introduced to us, along with the prelude to an enormous disaster that seems to happen. We just see a portion of what is behind the veil. The last few sentences of the book were well chosen - if you want to know more, you really need the second book.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like catiarato's review? Post a comment saying so!
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

Kudos! Your first sentence hook me. I did not enjoy the book but that does not matter. If I did not read the book, I would be happy to know there is not a cliffhanger. What you wrote about the ending, it makes me want to re-read the last chapter again.

In the Introduction Form, you stated your feelings regarding your first review.It why I read it. You should not doubt. You have what it takes. I truly look forward to your next review.

?
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Catiarato! Muchas gracias, amiga, for sharing your thoughts about this now-famous book of Lincoln Cole.

I agree with Alwaysdaddygirl. Keep reading. Keep reviewing. Keep writing. We non-native English speakers just need a lot of practice. We will conquer the language if we keep at it.
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

Thank you alwaysdaddygirl and Miriam for your feedback! It's really important to me.

Nice readings xx
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Nice review. This book is quite good for i see good ratings, too. Thanks, I like your review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”