Review by Yolimari -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Review by Yolimari -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Linnea Tanner, Apollo's Raven is an epic fantasy and historical fiction novel and the first installment of the Apollo's Raven Series. The Celtic Princess Catrin develops magical and mystical abilities. King Amren, her father, prohibited the members of the royal family "to use the power of the Ancient Druids." Catrin, however, connects with her raven behind the royal family's back. She can see the present and the future through the eyes of her raven. With this ability, she is able to see Roman warships approaching the Cantiaci kingdom. Marrock, her banished half-brother, is with the Romans. When Catrin reaches Durovernum, the Cantiaci capital, to alert the king, he is already having a discussion with Roman agents. The Romans' demands put the Cantiaci kingdom at odds with the neighboring kingdom of Catuvellauni. A prisoner exchange takes place to prevent a conflict between the Celtic kingdoms and the Romans while the issues are settled. Marcellus Antonius, the son of Senator Lucius Antonius, has to stay with the Cantiaci while Vala, King Amren's oldest daughter, has to go with the Romans.

Before leaving to settle the disputes, King Amren leaves Catrin in charge of Marcellus. He orders her to get as much information as possible from the Roman hostage. What is more important, the king tells her about a prophetic curse his former queen, Rhan, put on him before she was beheaded for treason. He believes Catrin is destined to save the kingdom from the political intrigues because of her powers. Catrin intends to do as her father told her, but she finds herself in a huge conundrum. Marcellus and Catrin engage in forbidden love and discover they have a powerful bond. Not only that, Catrin's powers continue to grow and she uncovers enemies and their plans. The warrior Celtic princess has to find a way to save her kingdom while she loves a Roman.

I literally could not stop reading Apollo's Raven. When I finished reading this story, I did not know what to do with myself. It is that good. Linnea Tanner masters the epic fantasy and historical fiction genres from start to end. No wonder this book was the Bronze Medal Winner in the 2017 Global Ebook Awards in the category Fantasy/Historical.

What I loved the most about Apollo's Raven was how the author wrote the forbidden love storyline between Catrin and Marcellus. It was magical, passionate, and heartbreaking. These characters love each other and have a deep and meaningful connection. Problem is their families are opposites in many ways. Catrin is a Celtic warrior princess with mystical powers. Women in her kingdom are equal to men. Marcellus comes from Rome, where the paterfamilias determines the lives of the family members. He is the great-grandson of Mark Antony, which means his father, Senator Lucius, would never allow him to marry a foreigner. On top of all that, the Romans think Catrin's people are inferior barbarians.

I also loved the themes of political intrigue and betrayal in the book. The story is full of secrets that keep the reader absorbed in what is going to happen next. The reader needs to pay attention to the characters' intentions and plans. The villains are portrayed so well that the reader is going to end up dreading them. For example, I really dreaded reading about Marrock. Some of his scenes disgusted me to the bone. Another example is that I could not stand Senator Lucius' contempt for the Celtic people and the role of women in their society. Nevertheless, these examples are evidence of Tanner's exceptional writing ability.

The only thing I did not like about the book was that the author used the word "shenanigans" one time. This word seemed out of place in the period of history discussed in the story. I think she could have used a word more appropriate for the ancient period.

Without a doubt, I rate Apollo's Raven 4 out of 4 stars because it is the best book I have read so far, this year. It is a remarkable epic fantasy and historical fiction novel, reminiscent of The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. I would recommend this book to those who love epic fantasy and historical fiction. This story is a must read for them. The title of the second installment of the Apollo's Raven Series is Empire's Anvil, and I cannot wait to read it.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

I love your review. It's quite obvious you really enjoyed it just like I did too. I look forward to the day it'll be used for a movie. Welldone.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I love when I find a book that I just can't stop reading. I've been meaning to add this to my list for a while and your review has pushed me over the edge. You've done a great job covering the novel and I love your thoughts on the romance. I'm always picky about how romances are done in books, they usually seem rushed, forced or the only thing that matters about a character, but it doesn't sound like that's the case in this book. Thank you for the great review!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

The Bronze Medal Winner in the 2017 Global Ebook Awards? Well!
The only way I can read a "...forbidden love storyline,..." even when "..magical, passionate,..." is when it's not "...heartbreaking."!
But I think I'll risk it for this book. Your review was waw
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

This book has been highly recommended to me by a friend. The reviews have been good, including yours
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Love to see passion for a story come through in a review. Sounds great!
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I started this novel but didn't finish it. Admirable review ??

Do check out my latest review and share your views. I will be very glad to see you there
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Julez wrote:I love your review. It's quite obvious you really enjoyed it just like I did too. I look forward to the day it'll be used for a movie. Welldone.
I really loved this book! I am glad you enjoyed too. Like you, I would love to see it portrayed in a movie.

Thanks!

-- 05 Sep 2017, 10:46 --
Mallory Whitaker wrote:I love when I find a book that I just can't stop reading. I've been meaning to add this to my list for a while and your review has pushed me over the edge. You've done a great job covering the novel and I love your thoughts on the romance. I'm always picky about how romances are done in books, they usually seem rushed, forced or the only thing that matters about a character, but it doesn't sound like that's the case in this book. Thank you for the great review!
Yes, I could not stop reading Apollo's Raven, and when I finished it, I did not know what to do with myself. Rapidly, I searched online information about the second book, which is Empire's Anvil. Luckily, it seems to be coming out soon, according to Linnea Tanner's website.

Yes, there is an intense romance between Princess Catrin and Marcellus, but the novel is not all about that. Other themes are political conflicts, betrayal, conquerors v. "barbarians", magic, mythology... In addition, Catrin is not a helpless princess.

Thanks for reading my review!

-- 05 Sep 2017, 10:47 --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:The Bronze Medal Winner in the 2017 Global Ebook Awards? Well!
The only way I can read a "...forbidden love storyline,..." even when "..magical, passionate,..." is when it's not "...heartbreaking."!
But I think I'll risk it for this book. Your review was waw
Apollo's Raven is an awesome book!

Thanks!

-- 05 Sep 2017, 10:49 --
Alicnim wrote:This book has been highly recommended to me by a friend. The reviews have been good, including yours
Yes, Apollo's Raven has excellent reviews. Readers are loving it.

Thanks for stopping by!

-- 05 Sep 2017, 10:52 --
RegularGuy3 wrote:Love to see passion for a story come through in a review. Sounds great!
I am glad you noticed my passion for this book through my review. This is the best book I have read this year so far. I cannot wait to read its sequel, Empire's Anvil.

-- 05 Sep 2017, 10:54 --
Darakhshan Nazir wrote:I started this novel but didn't finish it. Admirable review ??

Do check out my latest review and share your views. I will be very glad to see you there
[amazon=][/amazon]

That is too bad you did not finish it because it is an excellent story. People have different reading tastes.

Thanks!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

The love story between Catrin and Marcellus sounds epic! I can see why it would be difficult for them. Romans at that time viewed foreigners as barbarians. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much! Thank you for the enlightening review!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:The love story between Catrin and Marcellus sounds epic! I can see why it would be difficult for them. Romans at that time viewed foreigners as barbarians. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much! Thank you for the enlightening review!
Yes, their love story is epic! Yes, the Romans considered themselves the superior civilization of the time. On top of that, Marcellus' father, Senator Lucius, is a horrible human being who shows a lot of contempt toward Catrin's people. It is forbidden love for them.

-Gabriel García Márquez
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

That is a great review. This one tells the story and creates expectation on what is contained in the book. I am not into fiction nevertheless this review has left a profound effect on my mind.
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Paul78 wrote:That is a great review. This one tells the story and creates expectation on what is contained in the book. I am not into fiction nevertheless this review has left a profound effect on my mind.
Thanks for reading my review! I am glad you liked it.

-Gabriel García Márquez
Ezekielafog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Ezekielafog12 »

To be honest am already falling in loving with the book through your review as if am done with the reading book,Nice job God bless you
Yoli García
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Ezekielafog12 wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 15:44 To be honest am already falling in loving with the book through your review as if am done with the reading book,Nice job God bless you
It is very good. Thanks for your kind words and stopping by!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Etika Istiqomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Etika Istiqomah »

I love it when I find a book I can't stop reading. I've wanted to add this to my list for a while, but your review has pushed me to the limit. I love the idea. I've always been fussy about how romances are played out in books. It doesn't seem to be the case in the book.Thank you for the high rating!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”