Official Review: Bread for the Table by Tara Botel Doherty

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Official Review: Bread for the Table by Tara Botel Doherty

Post by Lest92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bread for the Table" by Tara Botel Doherty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tara Botel Doherty’s novel, Bread for the Table, spends a day with protagonist Sage and considers the way her past has shaped her present; her mother left her at the age of five, shortly after her sister Rose of Sharon’s death. As Sage stirred a pot of soup, her mother told her to keep stirring since she was going to the shop “to get bread for the table” but never came back. It was left to Sage’s oblivious father whose only interest was reading John Steinbeck novels and his formidable mother to raise her.

Twenty-five years after this abandonment, Sage, now working as a waitress, receives a postcard from her mother. Sage thinks it over during her day at work, and dwells on her life up to that point in a series of flashbacks. We learn that she still lives in the same Los Angeles neighbourhood she grew up in; she had inherited her grandmother’s house, which she now shares with Tomas, her boyfriend of five years. Sage is a trained jewellery designer but is a waitress by circumstance, although she is unmotivated to reclaim her creativity, in part because of Tomas, who belittled her craft severely enough for her to take his opinion to heart. He demeans and stifles her in many ways. Sage has allowed herself to stagnate in response to her dysfunctional upbringing and abusive boyfriend and lost much of her will and vitality until she allows her long-lost mother back in her life.

Bread for the Table was a wonderful surprise to me. Doherty’s imagery hooked me within the first lines, and I then stayed with Sage as I can empathise with her state of ennui. Her flashbacks tell her story; although the reader spends a day with Sage, it feels as though her whole life passes through her mind within that time. Perceptive insights about human nature and the vicissitudes of life abound in this character’s story – though it is a simple story, the author tells it wisely and beautifully. Doherty’s choice of symbolism links Sage’s childhood impressions with her current way of seeing, and in particular the associations she has of pink lotuses and lipstick of that same colour. Doherty has a gift for setting mood and creating a tone that lingers in the mind after reading her work. Overall, this is an absorbing novel, which I read start to finish in three hours.

There were some editing irregularities, but they didn’t distract me from the story. These were noticeable but not too much of a problem. The format of the dialogue was run-on, and I couldn’t tell if that was intentional. Nevertheless, it was clear which character did the speaking once I familiarised myself with the novel’s particulars. The author included study guide questions about Bread for the Table at the end of the book; I enjoyed this, and I think that readers who like to analyse their literature might find the questions welcome, too. Steinbeck’s literature is an important feature of Sage’s life, therefore Doherty had Sage and her father read passages from the novelist’s works, and those tracts fit seamlessly into Bread for the Table and were relevant to Sage’s thoughts and moods.

Since I noticed the editing needed some more work, I’ll rate Bread for the Table 3 out of 4 stars. Otherwise, I would certainly have given it a full rating. The specific readerships I would recommend this novel to would be those who seek out excellent literary and women’s fiction.

Bread for the Table
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lest92's review? Post a comment saying so!
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Editing and formatting play a huge rule so it's fair you gave it three stars. Sage has lived through a lot but she seems like a likeable character who I hope the author took time to fully develop. If it's a quick read like you mentioned, I'll definitely give it a try.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Despite the grammatical errors in the book, it seems like a great read. I love to read stories about women who start off weak and become stronger by the end of the book. This sounds like an uplifting book.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Thank you, Amagine and IsabelMay:) Sage definitely is a character whom Doherty lets us see via the story not so much in straight description, which is a technique I like because I can form my own image of the character.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds like sth I would love; the theme of abandonment especially like that is hard to resist. definitely on my bookshelf, thank you for your spot on review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

Great review. A touching story of inability to bear hard times in a marriage then leaving a child to endure it. The effects of the absence of a mother in a child's life cannot begin to be explained away. I would like to read this book too.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

It seems like an inspiring book. Nice review.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I enjoyed this review, the story of Sage greatly appeals to me. From the review, the plot appears quite compelling. I think Tara Botel
Doherty’s novel, Bread for the Table, in varying dimensions, will find resonances with many people's lived-experiences as children and young adults.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The title is interesting, although it doesn't capture my attention the way a title should. I'm glad this one surprised you in a good way. Thanks for a lovely review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

Good review. I love the title of the book.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

Good imagery and writing - another great recommendation. Sage's story sounds really engrossing. A great review!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Based on your wonderful review, it looks like a great book, despite the few proofreading issues. Sage seems like a very interesting character.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It's sounds like this author did a good job with character development. I find that makes for far more enjoyable reading.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
hepto
Currently Reading: Hiramic Brotherhood: Ezekiel's Temple Prophesy
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by hepto »

Bread for the Table relates a single day in the life of Sage a 30-year-old aspiring jewelry designer working as a waitress in a pseudo New York deli in Los Angeles. A postcard from her mother triggers a series of flashbacks, which bring Sage's life into focus.It is entertaining i recommend you read it if u haven't yet.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”