Official Review: Role Reversal by Iris Waichler, MSW, LCSW

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Role Reversal by Iris Waichler, MSW, LCSW

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Role Reversal" by Iris Waichler, MSW, LCSW.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Role Reversal: How to Take Care of Yourself and Your Aging Parents is a very informative and helpful book about caregiving written by Iris Waichler, MSW, LCSW.

The book is a cornucopia of information, tips and advice based on the author’s forty years of professional expertise and personal experience caring for her father. It is divided into two parts. The first part tells about the author’s father: his relationship with his parents and siblings, his military life, his work values, his wife and children and his final years. His life story is told alternately with information as well as personal advice from the author which are based on her experiences both as a medical social worker and as a daughter who watched her father advance in age. The second part is a set of valuable information and tips on important matters like hospital and insurance bills, nursing homes, estate planning, legal documents, funeral arrangements and more.

This is a well written, well-researched and well-referenced book not only for professional caregivers but also, and probably more importantly, for adult children of elderly parents who are presently or may (in the future) be caring personally for their senior loved ones. The author emphasizes how important it is, to them as well as to us, to listen to our parents as they tell us the story of their lives. The author also shares her family’s experience as they dealt with her mother’s debilitating illness, the pain they all went through as they watched their loved one deteriorate from the warm, caring and loving mother to the unrecognizable person she became.

Besides the management of hospital bills and insurance, the author brings up a very important but sensitive topic that, probably, all adult children find difficult to talk about, the death, and ultimately, the funeral arrangement of a deceased parent. Equally important are some issues that might arise after the passing of an elderly loved one like estate planning and dividing possessions.

As a daughter of an elderly parent, I find this book very relatable and I felt lucky to have chosen this book to review. It is informative and helpful, easy to read and understand, but most importantly, the tone conveys the author’s deep understanding of what adult children are going through. What I like most about the book, however, is the emphasis on parent-child relationship. How to deal with ailing elderly, how to find the right caregiver and how to decide on a nursing home depends on how much or how little we know our parents and how close we are to them. The title itself ‘Role Reversal’ signifies the bond between the parent and the child, that at some point in their lives it is the child who will do the caring for her parent the way her parent cared for her when she was a child.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is helpful, informative, well-written and well-researched and I recommend it to everyone who cares about his or her parent.

Role Reversal
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

This is really relatable, and the topic isn't usually talked about. Seems like a practical kind of book. Thank you for the review.
-rk
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely looks like there's a lot of important information in this book. A lot of us have parents getting older and need this information. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

raikyuu wrote:This is really relatable, and the topic isn't usually talked about. Seems like a practical kind of book. Thank you for the review.
Really relatable since most of us have aging or aged parents :)

-- 14 Jul 2017, 21:59 --
kandscreeley wrote:It definitely looks like there's a lot of important information in this book. A lot of us have parents getting older and need this information. Thanks for the review.
Very helpful and informative especially for those who have aged parents :)
JOELEKURI
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by JOELEKURI »

true as the reviewer says, it really is an informative book. the details are not merely as intended for storytelling alone but the reality of life.
Dennesejuleen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dennesejuleen »

This book is great I'm glad I took the time to review it, I had the experience when I lost my brother in 2012.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Nice review. This book definitely sounds helpful. As much as I hate to think about it, it's very likely that I may be taking care of an elderly parent or in-law someday, so it's good to know that there are resources out there like this book.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

Fantastic review. Am educated to start reading the book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

JOELEKURI wrote:true as the reviewer says, it really is an informative book. the details are not merely as intended for storytelling alone but the reality of life.
So true. Most of us will go through this and this is one very helpful book when that time comes.

-- 18 Jul 2017, 03:50 --
Dennesejuleen wrote:This book is great I'm glad I took the time to review it, I had the experience when I lost my brother in 2012.
It, sure, is great. Sorry about your brother and thanks for the comment.

-- 18 Jul 2017, 03:51 --
LivreAmour217 wrote:Nice review. This book definitely sounds helpful. As much as I hate to think about it, it's very likely that I may be taking care of an elderly parent or in-law someday, so it's good to know that there are resources out there like this book.
Thank you. It really is helpful since most of us will surely be taking care of our elderly someday.

-- 18 Jul 2017, 03:53 --
Quirinius wrote:Fantastic review. Am educated to start reading the book.
Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a great guide for caretakers and adult children of elderly parents. The combination of personal experience and professional advice makes for a better reading experience. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gc3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 324

Post by gc3 »

The author emphasizes how important it is, to them as well as to us, to listen to our parents as they tell us the story of their lives.
I completely agree. Even though most of the time they will be telling the story over and over again, we should not be annoyed. Instead we should think of it as a privilege since others don't even have the chance to hear a single story from their parents.

Very interesting book. Thanks for your informative review.
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

Thanks for the review.
It's beautiful how the author has interwoven her personal experiences into a story. This story is for all of us. When the time comes, we should be compassionate and understanding to the needs of our parents. They have done their best in raising us and now it's our turn to make sure their life is comfortable.
Gbemisola
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbemisola.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Gbemisola »

I really appreciate the author for writing a book such as this. I believe some situations do not have to be so difficult to face when you already know what to expect. This book helps us mentally prepare for an unavoidable eventuality. Thanks for the great review!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! Having been in this very situation until my own mother passed three years ago, I can appreciate how helpful and informative this book is to children of elderly parents. I can also appreciate how the author shares her own personal experiences, having watched my own mother deteriorate into her own dementia I know how difficult it is to share. Congrats to the author on a wonderful review. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
boringyanks
Currently Reading: Indian Hill 3
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boringyanks.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by boringyanks »

Iris Waichler delicately describes the nature of life struggle as we get older.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”