Is Suicide Ever the Answer?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Is Suicide Ever the Answer?

Post by gali »

AnkoleReads wrote:One of my best friends committed suicide two years ago. He was not even 25.

To answer your question simply: no. Suicide is NEVER the answer. The reason my friend was driven to that point was because he refused to get help. He didn't trust doctors, hospitals, medication, etc. He talked about killing himself constantly, we were all so worried about him. but we all thought he would be ok. He always made it through alright. Until the one day he didn't.

I can tell you from experience that suicide only creates more pain. Everyone who loved him is hurting, and that hurt will never go away. He thought he had nothing left to live for. He thought it would never get better, he thought everyone would be better off without him. But that simply wasn't true. We are all struggling to fill the hole in our hearts that he left behind.

Honestly, I can't blame him for what he did. He lived in a chaotic and abusive household, in abject poverty. He had suffered multiple traumas, and years of drug abuse only exacerbated this. I just wish he would have gotten help. I wish he cared enough about himself to take care of his mental health. I wish he wasn't so paranoid and distrustful of doctors. I wish he could have loved himself the way I loved him, the way we all loved him.

I don't know if anyone will see this, if anyone even cares about what some rando on the internet thinks. But if suicide has crossed your mind at all, TELL SOMEONE. Someone you trust, someone who can help you get the treatment you need. You are worth the life you have been given. You are loved. You have value. Even if you don't see it.
I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing. And I agree, suicide is never the answer.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

pontiac21 wrote:I've always considered it a permanent solution to a temporary problem but with that being said i've had two friends do it. Both were in situations they could not exactly get out of at that present time and back then i was angry and bitter. I now look back on it as it's been 8 years ago since one friend of mine did it and four for the other. they both knew it would be awhile before they could change their situations and they both were to broken to handle it.
I am saddened to learn about this. Such a painful way of solving problems. I have to batchmates who did this. Up to the present, I still can't give the best answer why they did it. considering that they have loving families and they have promising careers.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Yes, I knew someone, though not closely, who committed suicide. It is NEVER the answer. In fact, it shows total selfishness and disregard for the Giver of Life. No matter how bad a situatiin may be, one should always remember that he/she is not the first to go through such, one is not alone and as long as there's life, there's hope.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
elderwand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 565

Post by elderwand »

Never the answer.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

It's never the answer, but we figure that out too late. I remember I had to discuss this theme for a philosophy class and it was such a hard thing to do. It's not just about the person who commits a suicide but also about all of his family and friends. It's surprising how many victims have a great relationship with their loved ones but it just wasn't enough. It's horrible that sometimes you can't even see that the person beside you is suffering, you think everything's okay and then one day he/she is gone...
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by EmunahAn »

It is never the answer. This however, should make the society more sympathetic and supportive
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I went to school with a person who committed suicide because his life was in a hard place. I don't think suicide is ever the answer, and I would never do it.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

Yes I have known someone who committed suicide and it is not the answer. It hurts every loved one around you. People don't stop to realize that. I just read the book 13 reasons why awhile ago to see what all the commotion was about and I did not agree to the reasons why she committed suicide.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Lucy Stutz
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Lucy Stutz »

Unfortunately, I have known someone who committed suicide

I believe that it is not an answer to your problems. If you do feel suicidal, there is a crisis hotline that you can call. There are also medicine to take to help you feel better. There is always another day. Maybe things will be better the next day.
Wesono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesono.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Wesono »

Never. Suicide can not take away any problem. It is better to gather courage and deal with whatever the case may be. However, suicide tendencies are not that simple to deal with. It is better to seek professional help if you ever contemplate suicide.
Brighten Acquah
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00XPWAHXK

Post by Brighten Acquah »

Why should suicide ever be an answer? To me suicide should not even come into the equation at all because life has it own way of turning things around. You just have to give it some time and interact with nature
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Ljessup »

CatInTheHat wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:Morally, I think suicide is wrong and selfish. There are times, though, when I do not think the individual is in the right frame of mind to consider morality. In those cases, loved ones need to intervene in as open minded a way as they can.
I don't think that people with mental illnesses that are untreated and so bad that they feel they have to kill themselves out of their desperation are being selfish. I do think that people, like Max's dad, who kill themselves so they don't have to face their wrongdoings are selfish. Two completely different types of situations, in my opinion.
I couldn't agree more. I struggle with mental illnesses and can absolutely say that I have been in some very dark times myself and would not have described myself as selfish in any regard. In that moment I felt as though I had been too selfless and that paved the way for the road I was on. Thankfully, I have a wonderful support system that were just as selfless and pieced me back together. In saying all that I do not think that suicide is the answer, and I think that having loved ones intervene is vital when people are feeling this way. There are definitely different types and I agree with your opinion on each! Heavy topic, but love seeing that it is being discussed.

-- 02 Sep 2017, 17:40 --
CatInTheHat wrote:
Christina Rose wrote:Morally, I think suicide is wrong and selfish. There are times, though, when I do not think the individual is in the right frame of mind to consider morality. In those cases, loved ones need to intervene in as open minded a way as they can.
I don't think that people with mental illnesses that are untreated and so bad that they feel they have to kill themselves out of their desperation are being selfish. I do think that people, like Max's dad, who kill themselves so they don't have to face their wrongdoings are selfish. Two completely different types of situations, in my opinion.
I couldn't agree more. I struggle with mental illnesses and can absolutely say that I have been in some very dark times myself and would not have described myself as selfish in any regard. In that moment I felt as though I had been too selfless and that paved the way for the road I was on. Thankfully, I have a wonderful support system that were just as selfless and pieced me back together. In saying all that I do not think that suicide is the answer, and I think that having loved ones intervene is vital when people are feeling this way. There are definitely different types and I agree with your opinion on each! Heavy topic, but love seeing that it is being discussed.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I definitely think that suicide is NEVER the answer.
Yaone
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaone.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by Yaone »

Yes i know people who committed suicide. It is not the right thing to do because it does no solve issues. Instead i find it to be a selfish act because your loved ones would be hurt. Problems in our lives exist so that we may conquer them, taking a life is never a solution.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Ashley Crane
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-crane.html
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Post by Ashley Crane »

I know quite a few people, but they range from people who never wanted to be on this earth to begin with, to kids who aren't mature enough to understand the magnitude of what they are doing by choosing this route to solve their problems. It is never the answer. Most who get too this point are way too blind to be able to see that.
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”