Official Review: Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Ir...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Laughter, Tears &amp; Wonders: An Ir...

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Irish Memoir" by Niall John Kavanagh.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Told through a series of yarns, Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Irish Memoir, Childhood and Coming of Age in Dublin, focuses on the author’s early life as an adolescent growing up in Ireland and continues up to his early twenties. Specifically, the memoir covers the period 1942-1966. These yarns are mostly chronological; some are simple vignettes about a person, place or singular event, and some are fully fledged short stories describing specific incidences in the author’s life. Family, growing pains, friendships, political strife and work-life are all touched upon in the 64 yarns that make up this collection. The author, Niall John Kavanagh, blends personal experiences with insight about historical and political events in his emotionally charged memoir.

The author successfully brings the Irish setting to life by utilizing various elements. For instance, intertwining historical facts within the memoir brought much needed context to the events described. Similarly, the introduction of many colorful characters and their quirky personality traits added a sense of realism to the stories. The element that most effectively brought the setting to life was the clever use of the author’s Irish brogue throughout each story. Combined, all of these elements made it easy to picture the places, people and things at the forefront of each yarn.

In addition to the apparent realism imbued in this memoir, the author does a wonderful job mixing humor, nostalgia and history. Like most young boys, Niall’s antics are outrageous at times, and there were quite a few laugh-out-loud moments in this collection. On the other hand, Niall suffered some tragedy in his early life, and these yarns are handled with care, becoming rather emotional. Throughout all of this story telling, the author sprinkles in quite a bit of Irish history. Thankfully, the historical points in this book are described in an interesting manner and genuinely add to one’s understanding of Niall’s life events.

Although many of the vignettes and short stories succeed in eliciting emotion without a typical plot arc, some tended to be a bit more mundane and didn’t have as powerful an effect. Simply put, some of the yarns never reached that atmospheric level of storytelling that can turn monotonous life events into worthwhile reading material. Unfortunately, this made parts of the memoir a little boring.

Part memoir, part history book, I highly recommend this book to those interested in Ireland and its past and to those who enjoy a bit of humor in their reading. Although the author successfully combines stories from his early life with important Irish history in a meaningful and interesting manner, some of the yarns are significantly more interesting than others, and for that reason I rate Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Irish Memoir 3 out of 4 stars.

Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Irish Memoir
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Karolin
Currently Reading: Kardok vihara
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolin.html
Latest Review: "Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana" by James Mace

Post by Karolin »

Thank you for this wonderful review! Very insightful and really inspiring. Makes want to read the book. And anyway, sounds like a fascinating and relaxing read.
“I’m an introvert ... I love being by myself, love being outdoors, love taking a long walk with my dogs and looking at the trees, flowers, the sky.” - Audrey Hepburn
Latest Review: "Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana" by James Mace
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love whenever an author's written experiences are enriched with historical and educational content. This sounds like a good book.

Great Review!?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I honestly don't know a lot about Ireland especially during that time. It sounds like this would be a good book to learn some. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Your review also made me want to read the book though the genres don't sit well with me.
Thank you, MarisaRose, for the very informative review.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I'm in love with Ireland and its people, but I also plan on visiting Dublin soon so I think this will be a lovely read that will introduce me to the city. I'm sure it's changed since then, but it's always nice to learn a bit about its history.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

IsabelMay wrote:I'm in love with Ireland and its people, but I also plan on visiting Dublin soon so I think this will be a lovely read that will introduce me to the city. I'm sure it's changed since then, but it's always nice to learn a bit about its history.
I actually visited Dublin two years ago and I recognized many of the landmarks the author referenced! This would be a great read before you go traveling :)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting book. Collections can be like that, some stories are life changing, some are simply better than others and some are plain and ordinary. Great job on the review.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I love narratives which put me right there in the midst of interesting places, peoples and things. I think Laughter, Tears & Wonders: An Irish Memoir is one of such narratives. I enjoyed the review, it's nicely done.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Nice review. I like that this isn't a memoir infused with history. I'd like to travel to Ireland someday.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”