Official Review: The Tattered Box by Paul Schumacher

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: The Tattered Box by Paul Schumacher

Post by Amagine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tattered Box" by Paul Schumacher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Well… You know me, I’ve always loved telling stories. I wanted a way to remember important things that happened, so I just throw ‘em in a box in my closet. I figure someday they’ll be important to somebody somewhere.” -Bill, The Tattered Box
It’s no secret that some of the best stories are told by our parents and grandparents. We listen to them tell us stories about their childhood, their families, their first crushes, war stories and much more. When they impart their memories to us with physical mementos, like photos or old jewelry, we sometimes take it for granted. We don’t always appreciate the time we spend with loved ones are. We don’t realize how amazing their lives truly were. After all, it’s hard to imagine someone else’s life if you weren’t physically there.

In spite of that, what if it were possible to travel back in time and physically experience your grandparent’s life? In Paul Schumacher’s The Tattered Box, readers see this exact scenario take place. In the book, we meet eighteen-year-old John who loves his grandfather dearly, but becomes weary from all of his stories from the past. One day, his grandfather hands him a tattered, worn box that is filled with many random items: an old baseball, toothpick, mitten, ring, feather and Bible. John ponders why his grandfather saved all these items and their significance. Later, a freak accident causes John to black out. When he wakes up, not only does he find himself living in the 1940s, but he happens to be best friends with Bill, his teenage grandfather! As John spends time with Bill, he lives his grandfather’s stories and learn the significance of each item in the box.

The author writes a compelling and heart-warming plot. The plot is well paced and will maintain a reader’s interest from start to finish. It is easy to tell that the author is quite a masterful storyteller himself. With each item in the box, the author weaves a tale on the role it played in Bill’s life. Even something as small as a feather has an amazing story behind it. The book has a nostalgic feel that will remind readers of stories that were told by their own grandparents.

The character, John, is just as compelling as the plot. At first, John seems like the ordinary teenager. He is concentrated on the current moment and his grandpa’s stories of the past has little appeal to him. Later, there is a growth and a sense of maturity develop in his character as he experiences the life that his grandfather lived. He’s also gains an appreciation of life and the people in it. He’s the kind of character that many will be able to relate to.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The premise of the plot is original and very well written. The author demonstrates his ability to write great stories within a story. The characters are well developed and relatable to the point where many readers will find themselves becoming fond of them. I would recommend this book to anyone who needs a life lesson on cherishing the people in your life and the stories that they tell you. People don’t live forever but the lessons and treasures they impart can last a lifetime.

The Tattered Box
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amagine's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This book reminds me of the hit movie Back to the Future. I think Michael J. Fox's character was then John's age.

Yes, the youth should be more appreciative of the very old. They still have great and wise stories to tell (and re-tell).

Thanks, Amagine, for opening the tattered box.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading, Miriam! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This wouldn't be my usual choice for a book, but it does sound quite intriguing. With a 4 out of 4 from you, it must be good. Thanks for a lovely review. I'll have to check it out.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you so nuch for reading, kandscreeley!

charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

I guess you took some of the authors amazing story telling techniques. Great review. And I love the message that the book passed.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson

Post by Christina Rose »

This sounds like a great read and a very touching story. I don't usually choose this genre, but this particular book sounds like one I'd truly enjoy. You've piqued my interest in a book I may have otherwise looked past. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I particularly enjoyed reading it because I had considered selecting this book recently. I liked your comment that John showed growth as I like characters that are fleshed out and change throughout a story. I am going to take a second look at this book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

This sounds like a really intriguing book! I agree with Miriam, it almost sounds like Back to the Future (which is always a plus in my books). It doesn't sound like the sort of book I usually read but it has a lot of components I usually enjoy in books. Thanks to your review, I think I'll be checking this one out. Thank you!
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading, everyone!

geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

This title would stop me in my tracks, and I've always loved a little magic in my book. Reading thru your wonderful review I would definitely buy this book.
Thank you, Amagine.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Thank you for reading, geoffrey!

geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Amagine wrote:Thank you for reading, geoffrey!
You're welcome
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
LINA M-EMBER AMA
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lina-m-ember-ama.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by LINA M-EMBER AMA »

What a beautiful plot if a book, highly creative, exceptionally reviewed. Its definitely going onto my shelves. I wish I was the one who went back in time to experience my parent's life.

-- 01 Sep 2017, 22:05 --

What a beautiful plot if a book, highly creative, exceptionally reviewed. Its definitely going onto my shelves. I wish I was the one who went back in time to experience my parent's life.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Traveling back in time. See my grandparents as teenagers won't that be a treat. Great review Amagine.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Return to “Historical Fiction”