Review by Mandy Hosking -- The Dancing Barber by AC Michael

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mandy Hosking
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-hosking.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Review by Mandy Hosking -- The Dancing Barber by AC Michael

Post by Mandy Hosking »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was pleasantly surprised when I read this book. The historical background of the Ukrainian Collective Farms and the Ukrainian "Problem" is dealt with superbly. The main characters are well portrayed and very easy to relate to, from Klem, through Halyna, to The Ginger Rasputin. The book is set over the Easter weekend, and is staged in Acts; one for each day of Easter. The celebration of Easter came as a bit of a shock, did people really do all night Easter services?

The book is mostly set is the small town of Bradford in England, against the background of Ukraine and the massive effects of the starvation and deprivation of the collectivisation and how it still affects their lives. The characterisation of the Ukrainian’s or “Uki’s” is brilliant. There are short visits to the Village of Chaplinka, in South-Eastern Ukraine, contrasting the life there to that in Bradford. The flatcaps and the headscarves defining the very essence of the men and women; through to the Ivans and the Russians, and the malodorous Aunts, and don’t forget the mothballs! I really did enjoy his characterisation. Each person had their own unique traits that were accepted and yet also pointed out or noticed in a very tongue in cheek manner by friends and acquaintances. This definition of people, even minor characters made them human and very believable.

The Ballet master, Taras, commands absolute perfection from his dancers, and gets it, with the help of his cane and his talent, and his ….. sock. He has a ballet to prepare for, and they will be perfect! Swan Lake has come to the Alhambra, and he is the Ballet Master. He is also the Barber, with a very empty barber shop, due to an unfortunate balding of a key client. The journey of the twins to Bradford is filled with memorable incidents that will make anyone laugh. Their smell that precedes them, and their very down to earth yet unreal behaviour is something you will never forget.

A light-hearted thought provoking look at a people clinging to its nationality and history. Klem and his infatuation with tea and the correct way of making it, his russian blue cat, the Dancing Master with the cane and a wife on strike, the hairy aunts, and the Ballet!

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was well written, entertaining, and has some very humorous scenes. As Halyna says “Its Goodski!”

The Dancing Barber
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mandy Hosking's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
ElephantInRoom
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by ElephantInRoom »

I totally agree with your review! This was one of the very few books I simply couldn't put down. I loved the way the author made everything feel so real. Honestly, I was totally immersed in the story for hours on end. Goodski! and Brilliantski!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”