Review by The Dizzy Diva -- The 11.05 Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Review by The Dizzy Diva -- The 11.05 Murders

Post by Elle Howard »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11:05 Murders by Brian O’Hare is a crime mystery novel that delivers all the excitement and intrigue you could ask for in a murder mystery. The characters and dialog will keep you guessing the identity of the killer until the end.

The main character of the novel is Woman Detective Sergeant (WDS) Denise Stewart. WDS Stewart is a new member of the Serious Crimes division of the Strandtown Police Station. The unit is run by well liked and much respected Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan. WDS Stewart has been reassigned to Sheehan’s team following her promotion for exposing the corruption of her former Lisburn Police Supervisor. Her former Lisburn colleagues viewed this promotion as her reward for backstabbing the supervisor. Because of this, she was subjected to a great deal of harassment and retaliation. This experience has left her slightly bitter and jaded towards the opposite sex. She struggles to fit in and to trust her new team.

Chief Inspector Sheehan and his division are tasked with solving three murders that have happened. The murders occurred at precisely 11:05 pm on consecutive Tuesday nights. The victims were each physically assaulted and their bodies were left disfigured in exactly the same way. The killings initially appear to be random. WPD Stewart investigates the case and uncovers the clues that link the killings and eventually reveals the killer.

The author’s supporting cast of characters makes this a great read. He has expertly embedded each character into the novel. The interactions between them helps to further the plot along. There is the hint of a romance as two suitors compete for WPD Stewart’s attention. A wealthy businessman, with a violent temper, does everything in his power to undermine the investigation. A stalker has fixated on one of the detectives and seems to be growing more violent as the novel progresses. These side plots add to the novel, but do not distract from the main story which is the murders. I found myself frantically reading trying to figure out how it all fit together.

Brian O’Hare did a great job with this novel. There were minimal grammar or punctuation errors. This was my first novel by this author. I found his writing similar to The Woman's Murder Club series by James Patterson. Fans of this series will enjoy this novel.

I am rating The 11:05 Murders 4 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading this novel and could not put it down. It is my hope that the author continues this series of books. I would very much like to learn more about WDS Denise Stewart and Chief Inspector Sheehan.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like The Dizzy Diva's review? Post a comment saying so!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

Great review! A strong mysterious novel, just how I like it. You can also check out my review on the link below.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

It seems that you enjoyed reading this book, good to know that. You have nice review, I'm happy for it. Even if this book is not type. Thanks for the information on this book.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I love novels full of killings, adventure and mystery
Vey nice review

Do check out my latest review and share your views. I will be glad to see you there
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

I also read and reviewed this one. I also liked the relationship between Sheehan and Stewart. If anything I found it carried the stoey forward. Great reviewl check mine out! I'll be glad to hear your views.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Great review! This sounds like a great mystery novel. I really enjoy when the characters are developed along with the mystery.
peace starts with a smile...
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thank you all for your kind words! Reviewing this book was very easy because I enjoyed reading it so much.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Booklovertoinfinity
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booklovertoinfinity »

A mystery novel! it is a must read for me. great review!
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I must say, I appreciate your review. It is very informative and interesting. I reviewed this book as well and I'm glad you enjoyed it like I did. However, I think the grammatical errors you mentioned are not actually grammatical errors but a use of English peculiar to the setting. I mentioned one or two problems I had in my review but I'd rather not go into them. Also, I think it's pretty cool that you compared it with the Women's Murder Club. I'm such a fan of the series that I even watched the TV adaptation. I honestly didn't think of it while I was reading but it makes a lot of sense now that you mention it. Thank you for a nice review.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Lovely review!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I totally agree with you - the secondary characters were absolutely amazing! He has such a great way of characterizing people. This is a great review of a great book. Thank you!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I enjoyed your review! I don't read a lot of mystery books, but this one sounds like a real page turner. I like that you seem to have found it interesting and enthralling and that it wasn't predictable. That's pretty hard to do for some authors, but he seems to have mastered the element of suspense. Nicely done!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”