Review by Zelinda -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Zelinda -- Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Zelinda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Patrick Carter’s life seems to be going nowhere when his pick-up breaks down and he begins walking home. As he is walking, he hears a girl screaming followed by a splash in the river that runs beside his path. Without thinking twice, he jumps in the river and rescues the girl who was thrown in. With that action, his life changes dramatically.

Lemoncella Cocktail is a suspenseful work of fiction that takes place in a town on the outskirts of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In rescuing the young girl, Samantha, and restoring her to her family, Patrick becomes embroiled in a Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) investigation. Conducted by a Special Task Force led by Andres Des Pres and his secretary Lucien Borodin, the investigation is focused on arms-trafficking and bringing the arms buyers and sellers to justice.

The book, though well-written and well-edited, sometimes left itself open to disbelief. For example, Amelia, Samantha’s sister, is portrayed as having fallen in love with Oscar, the criminal mastermind of the arms traffickers. That Amelia, described as a beautiful young woman, would be attracted to Oscar, a crude overweight thug, is hard to understand. So is the induction of Patrick into acting as a special agent for the RCMP, since he is a high-school dropout with no discernable job skills. And yet Amelia is described as somewhat immature and Oscar does have a Corvette, a car described by many as a girl-trap. And Patrick may be a high-school dropout but his keen intelligence and insight are clearly observed by members of the task force. So…maybe it’s a little hard to believe, but not totally unbelievable. Besides, it still works.

I enjoyed learning about the Mounties and the author delivered insight into their operation, piquing my interest in learning more. The descriptions of both the professional and personal lives of Des Pres and Borodin leads me to believe that law enforcement in other countries is similar to my own. I’d like to see how they differ, though, and the book gives small glimpses of that.

The book’s plot is well developed and easy to follow. The characters, too, are well honed; the author inspires affection for the heroes, disdain for the criminals, and compassion for those caught up in the murky area where both right and wrong call their names. The ability of human beings to change and grow is one of the themes of the book, along with the ability to recognize and resist childhood conditioning and move toward self-determination. The clarity of Natan's writing shows her skill in revealing people and their character. What I especially liked was the main protagonist, Patrick, and how thoroughly decent he was. This was demonstrated by the kindness and affection he showed to a young boy in the story even though he maintained to himself that he didn’t like children. The respect he showed to his girlfriend by practicing tolerance for her father, an opinionated and pretentious man, reinforced this view.

The book moved at an appropriate pace. It is not an edge-of-your-seat thriller but more of a middle-of-your-seat one. It unfolds in a timely way and it will appeal to readers who like a good crime story with a non-ambiguous resolution. It’s a feel-good story with happy endings for the good guys and not-so-happy endings for the bad ones. Sometimes it seemed like issues were resolved too easily to be realistic, and the resolutions seemed a little too pat, but all in all it was a good read. If there were grammatical or spelling errors, I didn’t detect them. I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Lemoncella Cocktail
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Zelinda's review? Post a comment saying so!
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The other reviewers of this book gave it a so-so rating, so I was lukewarm to it. But your review makes me want to take a sip of this cocktail.

This is a very appealing review, Zelinda!
Christine A Benedict
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Christine A Benedict »

Great review! The review is so well written that I am off to get a copy. Zelinda has a great command of the E :wink: English language and entices one to read this book.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

It seems perfect one to read . Great review
Do check out my latest review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

A suspense thriller worth its name. I'll give it a try. Nice review.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I love happy endings for deserving characters! Sounds like you enjoyed this book.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

You really tried, but it seems the summary of the book should have stopped at the first paragraph, to bring suspense. But anyway, thanks.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Thank you, Zelinda. The last time I read an official review of Lemoncella Cocktail, I got scared. Your review is very much revealing and detailed without being twisted. I'm beginning to believe that a book is as good as a reviewer thinks. Thanks for reading and sharing.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Chris Jablonski
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Chris Jablonski »

Sounds like a great book, and this is a wonderful review as well.
Joan E D

Post by Joan E D »

I enjoyed reading about the Mounties. Nice review of this book!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”