Review by geoffrey ngoima -- The Dancing Barber

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Review by geoffrey ngoima -- The Dancing Barber

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dancing Barber by A.C. Michael starts with Mister Pushkin, the Russian blue pedigree cat and his master, the eccentric Klem, lying face down in a ditch filling and flowing with stinky water, and sweeps us through six acts, taking us to Europe and back to the war-scarred Russian. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because of its perfectly toned elements and would strongly recommend it to readers that love historical, humorous and heartfelt novels.

One aspect that is impossible to miss, and is interlaced into this charming but harrowing story is the humor that is masterfully crafted and is reminiscent of John Grisham’s novels, but with bitter turns that make it even more endearing. Readers cannot help but be infused with lively characters, dialogues, and descriptions. Examples of this, and just to show the oddity of one of the twins and the beauty of the setting, AC Michael writes, “She turned to face the refreshing breeze blowing in from the distant Black Sea and wiggled her arms as if impersonating an enormous mutant chicken.”

I was laughing all through the historical fiction story, the sharp humor undercutting the truly ghastly happenings, perpetrated by Sterling, evenly sprinkled through the story. AC Michael’s ingenuity can be seen from the very first page as Klem and his pedigree cat interact and as he meets the anxious Halyna in the “Uki” club bar where the harsh landlords are hated and the head scarfs lead their flat-caps from the bars by their ears!

All the characters draw the attention of the reader, all from the oddly looking twin sisters and their odd uncle, as they take the “death train” to the airport; the authoritative, cruel but kind Tara and his stinging cane raining down on the bottoms of his students. You would have to read the story to fully understand the impact of the characters and the Ukrainian spirit fighting to retain and regain the freedom taken from them by the Soviet Union.

What I did not like about the story was the complexity of the plots and the method of its pursuit. I say this for the sake of light-readers who would get turned off by the prospect of having to employ much of their faculties to get through the plots and find the gem that lies at its center. Though the author did a masterful job of making it readable to many, I feel the author would have made it simpler and therefore incorporate all the readers.

I liked reading this novel so much that I went to look for the author’s other books. It changed and broadened my outlook of the European continent and its people, and also enriched my understanding of the human nature. AC Michael is undoubtedly one of my favorite writers of all time and his work is something to look out for. AC Michael took a hard subject and delivered optimally, and if you are reading this review, I would direct you to go for this book, it will change you!

The Dancing Barber
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like geoffrey ngoima's review? Post a comment saying so!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Wow. Thanks for such a glowing review; I'd seen this book, and the cover immediately captured my attention, as I love cats. But then when I read that it's historical fiction, that turned me off and the official synopsis did nothing to change my mind. But your review? You've made me totally rethink it and now it's snuggly ensconced on my "To Read" shelf. Great job on turning my mind around.
geoffrey ngoima

Yeah, MsTri, the phrase "historical fiction" immediately shoves our minds to the era of mind-numbing school history classes but, hahaha, this book isn't mind-numbing, I can tell you that.
And thank you!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

hello geoffrey, good to know that you enjoyed reading the book. I laugh when I read the the title at first because the title is captivating to the eyes. I like your review, too.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
geoffrey ngoima

Glad you liked the review, Readandsmile.
I'll find the time today to read your reviews too guys, thank you.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

This style of book is not usually to my taste, but the quote you provided, reminds me so much of the Douglas Adams style of humour, that I want to give it a go. I also love the Persian Blue cats, I think they are gorgeous, so I hope the cat is included in most of the story.
Thanks for the great review.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
geoffrey ngoima

You're welcome, Emie, and thank yOu,...
Yeah, Mister Pushkin is indeed included in the book but not as much as you and I would like ;)
I agree, Emie, I am a sucker for descriptions, I can still remember the description I fell in love with at age 12.

-- 28 Aug 2017, 18:45 --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:Yeah, MsTri, the phrase "historical fiction" immediately shoves our minds to the era of mind-numbing school history classes but, hahaha, this book isn't mind-numbing, I can tell you that.
And thank you!
**I actually liked history classes, (the stories!), I must have confused this with Chemistry(argh!)
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Wow! I like books which broadens ones view of a place and its people, this sounds very interesting! Thank you for this review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! This genre isn't typically for me, but your review made it sound more enticing.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Humour and a complicated plot.... hmm. I'm actually a fan of complex plots, so the more i have to dive in the better. Add some humour and a crazy cat, well u might just have a prize here. Your review was so intelligently written and i can feel your excitement while reading it. Thank you for your great review.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
geoffrey ngoima

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Wow! I like books which broadens ones view of a place and its people, this sounds very interesting! Thank you for this review.
You're welcome, Kelebogile

-- 29 Aug 2017, 03:34 --
Christina Rose wrote:Thank you for sharing your thoughts! This genre isn't typically for me, but your review made it sound more enticing.
Thank you, Christina

-- 29 Aug 2017, 03:40 --
Excitedreads wrote:Humour and a complicated plot.... hmm. I'm actually a fan of complex plots, so the more i have to dive in the better. Add some humour and a crazy cat, well u might just have a prize here. Your review was so intelligently written and i can feel your excitement while reading it. Thank you for your great review.
Thank you, Excitedreads, we have the same mind on complex plots there, ...
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Well-written review Geoffrey. Earlier I wasn't so sure about this book, but I think I might check it out now.
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

I'm excited for your next review as well geoffrey, and I am happy that you visit my page. Keep it up.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

I certainly love historical, humorous and heartfelt novels. Thanks for the review.
You could also check out my review with link below.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
geoffrey ngoima

charlesjr2 wrote:I certainly love historical, humorous and heartfelt novels. Thanks for the review.
You could also check out my review with link below.
Thank you, charlesjr2, I will definitely do that.

-- 29 Aug 2017, 08:57 --
ReviewerDiksha wrote:Well-written review Geoffrey. Earlier I wasn't so sure about this book, but I think I might check it out now.
Thank you, ReviewerDiksha, you should check it out.

-- 29 Aug 2017, 09:03 --
readandsmile wrote:I'm excited for your next review as well geoffrey, and I am happy that you visit my page. Keep it up.
You're welcome, Readandsmile,
I will be sure to inform you of my next/second review, thank you, Do the same too, and I be a frequent visitor.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”