Which book are you proud that you read and finished?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Which book are you proud that you read and finished?

Post by Anirudh Badri »

There are many books that seem challenging and are hard to read. Which of those books have you actually finished and are proud of yourself for?

For me, it is Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I am currently trying to read Ulysses by James Joyce, which would also be a huge milestone for me.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Ulysses would be quite the accomplishment. I wish you the best of luck with that! I read, The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, by James Joyce and that was hard enough to get through. The hardest books I've read, and am proud to have gotten through, are probably Heart of Darkness and The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad. I find him incredibly difficult to read.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I can`t say i have ever felt proud finishing a book.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Helga_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Helga_ »

Two books come to mind right away: The Autobiography of Malcolm X and Native Son.
"Difficult and challenging", not because I couldn't understand the content. Both of the books are intense reads because it's about the painful history, which is still repeating itself today...I've learned a lot, and done a lot of thinking and researching while and after reading them.

@T/S: Good luck! I'm reading a book about book-loving by a famous book lover (haha) He talked about when he made it a goal to finish Ulysses.
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

The first book I had to review was not the best. It was pretty difficult for me to read it through but I'm glad i did. The book is Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

If a book is hard to read then honestly I don't bother. Life is too short to waste with books that are a struggle to get through. That's always been my philosophy, but one book that was hard to read (because of the difficult subject matter) that I did finish was The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. At times it was a struggle, and I certainly can't remember ever feeling this depressed from a book, but it was nevertheless a very rewarding experience reading the book.
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

I don't read challenging books either. A book that I really like will get read in a few days, but one that is hard and can't hold my attention will take a couple of months before I realize I am getting nowhere.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I would say my organic chemistry text in college was the hardest book I have read.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Classics like Mill on the Floss for university courses were hard, but I had to finish them. The toughest was the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I don't know why I felt I had to read it, but I did. It took about three months on and off. I confess I have never dared to try Ulysses. I waded grimly through Portrait of an Artist and I've managed to avoid Tolstoy. I think I would sink.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

The Lord of the Rings series by J. R. R. Tolkien. So worth the effort but it took me forever to finish all of them.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Definitely the Bible, but next hardest to me was Frankenstein. I had to read it for college and I kept having to reread pages because they did not keep my attention. I felt like I was losing the words in my head faster than I was reading them.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I was proud I finished Moby Dick, it took me awhile but I did.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I think I'm most proud that I read The Count of Monte Cristo. It's an amazing story and the writing is fantastic, but goodness is it long. It took me a month of straight reading to get through the unabridged version.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I think I was most proud of finally getting done with Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. The book was emotionally exhausting, but it felt important for me to read it to completion.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I also struggled with Moby Dick, even though I was listening to the audiobook. Sometimes it felt more like a whaling textbook than a story.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”